Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin should be at $13,500 ? - page 2. (Read 6783 times)

Activity: 453
Merit: 254
June 18, 2013, 07:22:30 AM
People continue to compare 2013 correction to 2011 correction.
Try to compare 2012 correction (no one ever talk of it, because it happened when so many were at the beach) with 2013 correction.

2012) it run up 400% and fell 50% --> 200% increase
Bitcoin inflation was 25%
Really few ways to use bitcoin

2013) it run up 2600% and fell 60%  --> 1000% increase
Bitcoin inflaton 12,5%
A lot more ways to use bitcoin (BitPay is just at what? 4000 merchants?) add the rest and wait for people to really start to adopt BTC as a way to pay for good and services.
We are just starting to heating the engine and moved around the parking lot.

If merchants accepting bitcoins are able to pass them to employees and suppliers (even a small fraction is a good start), the move up will be rocking.
And giving the increasing number of merchants accepting bitcoin, there is an increasing number of people (the merchants themselves) able and willing to have bitcoins and spend them with other merchants.
This should reduce the correction time, building a strong bottom, in just few months. By july-august end we will see a lot of pressure up just for increased adoption.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Shame on everything; regret nothing.
June 17, 2013, 09:53:44 PM
I personally feel that all threads along the lines of 'bitcoin going to $10k' or 'bitcoins worth $1M' do more harm than good to bitcoin's reputation.  While speculation is fun there are two factors at play: No one can predict the future value of bitcoins with any certainty, and outsiders reading this forum may form the idea that bitcoin is just one huge get-rich-quick scheme full of people sitting and waiting to become millionaires. 

Outsiders can form whatever opinion they want -- It won't change the objective truth that Bitcoin represents a monumental, heretofore unprecedented achievement of humanity with regard to its economical transfer of value.  This objective truth combined with the empirical evidence of humanity desiring individual economic freedom in an ultimate sense, assures that crypto-currency in some form will become the de-facto standard for human economic transfer.  It may make little sense then to ascribe any USD or otherwise fiat value to a BTC in that future, but given the facts I think there is no question that said value would be relatively HUGE.
Activity: 715
June 17, 2013, 09:00:36 PM
Bitcoins fees are not too high.

If my credit card would charge me any fee higher than bitcoin I would agree with that.
But considering the fact that the fee with my credit card is 0, I disagree.

Whether or not you realize it you are indirectly paying a fee every time you use your credit card.

I don't. My bank does not charge me anything for providing me a credit card, and using it. Mercants do.
Not to mention that if my credit card got stolen, I can get my money back. If my btc address is stolen, I can't do shit.

Merchants pay credit card fees that average around 2.5-3% of the transaction and that cost is passed on to the consumer (you're kidding yourself if you think it isn't).

The only restriction I have is to pay more than 10 euros with my credit card (else I have to use cash). But the price is the same if I pay with check, credit card, cash, so...

That's why more and more merchants offer cash discounts.

See above.
Not to mention that I can withdrawn cash without being charged any fee.
Not to mention that before paying anything with btc, you have to buy them, and the fees are even greater than btc transaction fee.

Bitcoin fees are negligible compared to that. .0001 btc on a .1btc transaction is only 0.1%
All that is needed is an easy method for mainstream implementation.

That's bullshit again.
Some website said they accept bitcoin, like that "DigiDeals" in Australia. When you want to pay online, guess what:

Credit or Debit Card (2% processing fee)

PayPal (2% processing fee)

Bank Transfer

Bitcoin (5% processing fee)

Bitcoin fees will always be higher that credit card fees.
Try to figure out why by yourself.

Bitcoin payment processing is 0.99% through BitPay. Merchants pay roughly 2.7% in credit / debit processing fees. When you factor chargebacks in, that number rises to 3 - 10% in transaction costs. While the typical consumer does not understand that a merchant's payment processing costs directly inflate the price that merchant must charge, they will continue to use traditional methods. But when companies that exclusively accept bitcoin (bitcoinstore) are able to undercut other merchants, users will have an incentive to obtain bitcoins to pay for their goods. As bitcoin becomes easier and easier to secure, obtain, and use, the incentive to use them will not need to be as great.

I am curious why you think bitcoin fees will always be higher than credit card fees. When both parties are considered (consumer and merchant), they are significantly lower than credit card fees, and will likely always remain lower. You are speaking from one side of a two sided transaction.
Activity: 172
Merit: 100
June 17, 2013, 01:49:07 PM
All it would take for bitcoin to be well over 13.5k USD is one central bank deciding that they should put a tiny fraction of a % of their balance sheet in bit coins. If the Fed or the European Central Bank of the BOJ or BOE decided that they may, in the future, need to have the ability to manipulate the fiat/BTC exchange rate they may try to front run other central banks and get in at a relatively low price. Hypothetically speaking if the Fed put 1/10 of 1% of their monthly open market purchases into bitcoin the value of bitcoin would double in a year, not withstanding any other speculation or growth in the bitcoin economy. Change that number to 1% and the bitcoin exchange rate would be doubling every month.

Obviously this is pure speculation but anyone who says that values of 13k or 130k are unrealistic obviously doesn't understand global finance.
Activity: 728
June 16, 2013, 11:57:57 PM
I personally feel that all threads along the lines of 'bitcoin going to $10k' or 'bitcoins worth $1M' do more harm than good to bitcoin's reputation.  While speculation is fun there are two factors at play: No one can predict the future value of bitcoins with any certainty, and outsiders reading this forum may form the idea that bitcoin is just one huge get-rich-quick scheme full of people sitting and waiting to become millionaires.  

There should be no argument about the possibility of bitcoin going to 1 million USD. It is possible. If China starts dumping US bonds, bitcoin could be at $1 million tomorrow based on selloffs of forex reserves rather than bitcoin buy up. Of course, then China would lose its biggest export market. Unemployment in China would then cause the Chinese government to collapse, along with the global economy.

The dollar is overvalued right now. Bitcoin is undervalued. The correction may be fast or slow, but a correction is all but certain. How extreme that correction will be is a matter of debate. We are in "speculation" here- I say let them speculate.

I say don't sit around and wait to become a millionaire- innovate, understand the potential, help build the infrastructure of bitcoin, and become a millionaire. Then it won't be a get rich scheme but a collective enterprise that depends entirely on the sagacity and motivation of the participants, an enterprise that will create billions in wealth through added efficiency to the global financial system and redistribute billions from inefficient banking and electronic payment institutions. I hope the price crashes a little bit more so we can consolidate the BTC in the hands of people who will be able to wisely reinvest them as the market value grows.

legendary
Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018
June 16, 2013, 11:37:01 PM
I personally feel that all threads along the lines of 'bitcoin going to $10k' or 'bitcoins worth $1M' do more harm than good to bitcoin's reputation.  While speculation is fun there are two factors at play: No one can predict the future value of bitcoins with any certainty, and outsiders reading this forum may form the idea that bitcoin is just one huge get-rich-quick scheme full of people sitting and waiting to become millionaires. 
Activity: 302
Merit: 250
June 16, 2013, 04:30:51 PM
Its a market in its nascent stages, complexity is to be expected. Do you think WU was easy when they were still using the pony express? Give it 24 months once regulatory issues have been resolved competition will increase, complexity and costs will decrease and WU will be left in the dust.

WU could adapt and adjust, using bitcoin as their means of transfer.

If WU starts using bitcoin, then I can finally become a professional philanthropist.

I rejected email in 1994. You mean I have to get a computer, learn how to use it, wrap my brain around concepts like "software," figure out how modems work, make a contract with an ISP, and then call tech support any time there's a problem? Why would I go through this ridiculously complicated process when I can just buy some stamps and put a letter in the post box?

People still write letters today. I'm a bear on email. It's just a matter of time before someone hacks email or the government shuts it down because of all the criminals writing emails. Then we will all go back to letters and the beauty of receiving personal handwritten messages.

This is gold
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
June 16, 2013, 09:52:19 AM
you know, I can't say much for bitcoin at it's current time, but I think I'll go ahead and put 10-50 coins on a drive and put it in storage, then not check the price of bitcoin for 20 years.

Good lad.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
welcome to riches
June 16, 2013, 09:50:42 AM
you know, I can't say much for bitcoin at it's current time, but I think I'll go ahead and put 10-50 coins on a drive and put it in storage, then not check the price of bitcoin for 20 years.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
June 16, 2013, 09:43:41 AM
My balls should be at 5 billion US$ each!

There are 22 million Bitcoin, but there are only two of my balls -> so very rare thing.

Geez, people! 13,500? Seriously?

As long as I can't pay for a Cheeseburger with Bitcoins it's value is pure speculation.

But (1) it isn't easy to transfer your balls quickly and cheaply, (2) your balls are easily forgeable (I cannot tell the difference with someone else's balls) and (3) it's hard to divide your balls up indefinitely and still be able to tell those are pieces of your balls.

Bitcoins does all of these (and PM accomplishes them better than your balls, though rather imperfect).
Activity: 672
June 16, 2013, 08:57:00 AM

Bitcoins are coming down, and the clones (alt coins) will go up.

There is no limited supply of 'bitcoins' and all it takes is copy and paste, and can create lots of coins.

So how many million Bitcoins do you have?
Activity: 453
Merit: 254
June 16, 2013, 08:53:48 AM
As long as I can't pay for a Cheeseburger with Bitcoins it's value is pure speculation.

It was not "until I can pay my pizza, it is just speculation".
http://foodly.com/
http://pizzaforcoins.com/

Or was "until I can pay my bills"?
http://billpayforcoins.com/index.php

Activity: 1162
June 16, 2013, 04:30:42 AM
My balls should be at 5 billion US$ each!

There are 22 million Bitcoin, but there are only two of my balls -> so very rare thing.

Geez, people! 13,500? Seriously?

Activity: 298
Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th
June 15, 2013, 11:27:48 PM
it has lots of great properties — negligible transaction fees (...)

Bullshit.
My credit card is free of charge for me (as a customer), I don't give a shit if the merchant have to pay an American company for providing this service. But I know, and I care, that everywhere in the country I can use it, without paying any fee. Bitcoins fees are way too high.

Except you don't realize there is a hidden tax.  Merchants pay up to 3%-4% for each transaction.  You think they just eat that cost and pass 0% of it on to you in the form of higher prices?

Sorry to burst the bubble but what you said is simply not correct.

I completely agree with your sentiment and I already tried to explain that to him. He doesn't want to understand.
Activity: 364
June 15, 2013, 10:28:29 PM
it has lots of great properties — negligible transaction fees (...)

Bullshit.
My credit card is free of charge for me (as a customer), I don't give a shit if the merchant have to pay an American company for providing this service. But I know, and I care, that everywhere in the country I can use it, without paying any fee. Bitcoins fees are way too high.

Except you don't realize there is a hidden tax.  Merchants pay up to 3%-4% for each transaction.  You think they just eat that cost and pass 0% of it on to you in the form of higher prices?

Sorry to burst the bubble but what you said is simply not correct.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
June 15, 2013, 06:45:35 PM
  It is impossible to think that bitcoin growth will be steady rather than exponential. For the growth not to be exponential, every person who finds out about bitcoin would have to tell only one person about it. Bitcoin's growth cannot help but accelerate.

100k value for bitcoin sounds as absurd now as the earth being round when you can clearly see it's flat, or the earth rotating around the sun  when you can clearly feel that the earth is still and the sun moves in the sky above sounded at other times in history.

+100
 Grin Grin Grin

However, money has a strange character: Without money nothing can be done, but with only one type of money anything can be done, unless the merchant exclusively require bitcoin payment (just like EU merchants only accepting €), people do not have the motivation to exchange to bitcoin and spend (due to added complexitiy in exchange process), it will take some time for a bitcoin-only economy to build up

But I think this will happen eventually, sooner or later some producer with excessive amount of cash flow and some investment in bitcoin will provide bitcoin-only sale for part of their product line, and that will create a miracle in business history: The more you sell, the more valuable your income will become, and this will create a snowball effect and more and more merchant will join the bitcoin-only sale party
Activity: 1778
Merit: 764
www.V.systems
June 15, 2013, 05:13:33 PM

Bitcoins are coming down, and the clones (alt coins) will go up.

There is no limited supply of 'bitcoins' and all it takes is copy and paste, and can create lots of coins.

you mad bro ?
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
June 15, 2013, 05:11:58 PM
   It is impossible to think that bitcoin growth will be steady rather than exponential. For the growth not to be exponential, every person who finds out about bitcoin would have to tell only one person about it. Bitcoin's growth cannot help but accelerate.

100k value for bitcoin sounds as absurd now as the earth being round when you can clearly see it's flat, or the earth rotating around the sun  when you can clearly feel that the earth is still and the sun moves in the sky above sounded at other times in history.

I like the way you think.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
June 15, 2013, 04:25:30 PM

100k value for bitcoin sounds as absurd now as the earth being round when you can clearly see it's flat, or the earth rotating around the sun  when you can clearly feel that the earth is still and the sun moves in the sky above sounded at other times in history.
+1 :-) lol
Activity: 728
June 15, 2013, 02:17:04 PM

Pages:
Jump to: