Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin slow to download the block chain? - page 2. (Read 5286 times)

Activity: 574
Merit: 250
Try -upnp

Just for giggles.

That requires that he use at least the .21 client.

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Did you see that icon in your system tray that says a new version of Ubuntu is available? Stop ignoring it and update. Then you should be able to run the current release of Bitcoin.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Cool website man.
Activity: 294
The thing is in beta.

If you want to play at today's price you get to be a beta tester.

When it is easy for 90% of the population you will have to pay a hell of a lot more.

Pay?
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
Okay, so you're running a linux distro with a virtual machine. Fine.

I'd be happy to point you to the relevant instructions using a google search - if you give me the name and/or model of your router.

You don't have to change your subject, it would just help clarify the situation - since the bitcoin vs. bank argument really doesn't hold any water when it is completely up-to-date.
Activity: 80
Merit: 10
Jesus Christ. I just said I got it to run under wine.

Know what I am? I'm a legit, white-economy merchant. http://www.goldenmeancalipers.com

I'm one of the people that you badly need to legitimise this currency - and I've done my best to evangelise it - take a look at my bitcoin page

http://www.goldenmeancalipers.com/bitcoins/ ( I've changed the last line to prove that it's my site. )

Ok?

Now, the reason I'm not going to change the title is that it will become meaningless to anyone else who has the same problem as me, but doesn't know what an updated-blockchain is.

Yes, I do run Ubuntu, and no, I don't know how to port-forward. I simply have never had cause to do it.

HSBC is my UK bank account, that's why I referred to it.

And my attitude is one that you get from someone who's been banging their head against a brick wall for the last 3 hours.

--

re: "When it is easy for 90% of the population you will have to pay a hell of a lot more."

err... sorry? How is that? I thought this was open-source?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
The thing is in beta.

If you want to play at today's price you get to be a beta tester.

When it is easy for 90% of the population you will have to pay a hell of a lot more.

everything about this thread smells; the title he refuses to change, his confusion, the simplicity of his problem, the reference to HSBC, his nick, his attitude; i think he's trolling.
Activity: 266
No idea how to do that. I'm one of those people you may or may not be able to see out the window.
You're running Ubuntu and don't know how to forward a port?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
you know what?  i think you're a  troll trying to make it look harder than it is. 

i don't know anything about computers compared to the guys around here and you obviously do and shouldn't be having near the troubles you're having.

guys, i'm sensing a new strategy among these detractors of btc.
I'd do two things:
Change the subject to - "Bitcoin without an updated blockchain is slower than my bank"

Yes, could do that. Doesn't describe the situation to anyone who doesn't know what an updated-blockchain is though.

Look out the window ---->

See that? That's the rest of the world. That's who doesn't know what an updated blockchain is. Those are the people you want to be using bitcoin.

Forward port 8333 to your machine running the client.

No idea how to do that. I'm one of those people you may or may not be able to see out the window.

legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
I'd do two things:

Change the subject to - "Bitcoin without an updated blockchain is slower than my bank"

Forward port 8333 to your machine running the client.

Also, I agree that it isn't very obvious that you needed to have the blockchain updated at all with the current client design. Just one of the pitfalls of being in beta.
Try -upnp

Just for giggles.

Yea, tried that. No difference.
Well Fuck. A. Duck.

It runs under wine.

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
I really don't know what to tell you.
Ok

- I've tried it with my vodafone dongle... (so I'm not using my normal wifi router at all)
 - I've tried /home/nick/bitcoin-0.3.17/bin/64/bitcoin  -rescan -noirc -upnp -addnode=64.31.38.250-addnode=74.82.216.10 -addnode=178.63.62.15 -addnode=173.224.125.222 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=173.224.125.222 -addnode=86.5.50.90 -addnode=178.255.199.86  (and innumerable variants therof)
- I don't think I have a firewall running at all. Unless Ubuntu is craftily running something that I don't know about
- I'm not going to upgrade my whole operating system just to get bitcoin to work
- I'm not going to use windows.

Although I guess I could boot into windows, install bitcoin, copy the wallet.dat across, download the blocks and then copy it back.

This is kindof a pain in the arse though - it has managed to download 133905 blocks. It's just jamming up now for reasons I know not.
It's threads like this that prove that BTC is not ready for the masses yet.  This guy is somewhat technical (he runs linux) and he didn't know what was going on.  How's Grandma gonna do?

Grandma's gonna run Windows...

And that would change the situation, how?  He didn't know he needed his block count to be current.  Why would he know?  There's no tool tip or documentation with the client that even says what a block count is.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
It's threads like this that prove that BTC is not ready for the masses yet.  This guy is somewhat technical (he runs linux) and he didn't know what was going on.  How's Grandma gonna do?

Grandma's gonna run Windows...
Before you go messing around installing new clients or changing you glibc libraries (don't do that, btw), BACK UP YOUR WALLET.DAT to a thumb drive or burn it to a CD.

you accidentally nuke your wallet.dat and you'll never see the money.

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
Ok - I'm using this

/home/nick/bitcoin-0.3.17/bin/64/bitcoin  -rescan -noirc -addnode=64.31.38.250-addnode=74.82.216.10 -addnode=178.63.62.15 -addnode=173.224.125.222 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=173.224.125.222 -addnode=86.5.50.90 -addnode=178.255.199.8

How long should I have to wait before it does anything?

I've waited 10 minutes and it's still showing a grand total of zero connections... ever once in a while it'll make 1 connection - but not enough to dowload a single block

Then you have a firewall that is actively killing your outbound connections.  If you were just blocked for inbound connections, you'd hit 8 and stay there.  More than 8 means that you're unblocked.  A single connection that keeps dying means that there is an active process killing your connections.
Ok - I'm using this

/home/nick/bitcoin-0.3.17/bin/64/bitcoin  -rescan -noirc -addnode=64.31.38.250-addnode=74.82.216.10 -addnode=178.63.62.15 -addnode=173.224.125.222 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=91.85.220.84 -addnode=173.224.125.222 -addnode=86.5.50.90 -addnode=178.255.199.8

How long should I have to wait before it does anything?

I've waited 10 minutes and it's still showing a grand total of zero connections... ever once in a while it'll make 1 connection - but not enough to dowload a single block
Pages:
Jump to: