Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin, the Religion?! - page 7. (Read 4358 times)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10
June 17, 2015, 10:20:58 AM
Do you think that cryptocurrencies are religions?

No. It's nothing of the sort. Maybe they could offer us financial and economical salvation, though  Cheesy.
legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
June 17, 2015, 10:15:42 AM
If religion means to believe in the success of something, on the basis of something that has yet to happen, then yes, bitcoin is a religion for all of us Smiley
But, this is not much different from faith in other things, family, favorite clubs etc.
We tend to believe in many different things but probably we need to find another name for it.

People who believe in the state or do not question the state are more "religious" nut jobs vs bitcoiners imo.  I dont think you can class bitcoin as a religion though, people act religious over it sure.  Its more a sociological philosophy.
staff
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6152
June 17, 2015, 10:13:25 AM
I argue that Cryptocurrencies function as distinct religious beliefs, which affect ego permeability by playing into our natural tendencies to perceive attributes of money and value as inherently magic and spiritual.

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/bitcoin-religion-filip-martinka-

I don't think that Digital currancies are religions at all , I believe in bitcoin and that it has potentional and will do a huge success on the world probably & I don't think that "religion" is the first thing that comes in mind when you see the relation between a user and something . I believe in other things that will be succesfull that dosen't make them my religion or anything if you ask me
For me (and it's just my personal opinion) Religion is what is made by God and prophets (Muslims, Christians , Jewish) those are Religious people anything else isn't . (Including Yoga , budha etc..which is made by humain)
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
in the end, you only find the beginning
June 17, 2015, 10:12:38 AM
i would not say that, but is pretty close to that, at least for some ppl, you just need to read how they talk about it Tongue but most of the bitcoiners just believe in the success of BTC and this is not enought to compare it with religion.

Activity: 770
Merit: 509
June 17, 2015, 10:06:21 AM
for some guys, which are heavily invested and involved, betted everything possible to crypto and lurking whole day on crypto webs, reading all articles, running rigs...

religion is not maybe the precise word to describe their relation to crypto, but in some way is may become true..at least I can imagine it. if somebody is fanatic to something, it may become religion for sure.

It is obvious that one of the main keys for a crypto (or for any currency) to succeed is network effect, thats why Bitcoin is #1 and likely will not change anytime soon. Network effect is basically trust.. and so therein lies a sense of belief into it. You believe that Bitcoin will turn out a massive success. In this sense you could say it is a religion, but is based on fact and math unlike the rest of the ones (including fiat).
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
June 17, 2015, 09:49:08 AM
There are just people, who make a religion out of everything.
Look at it, this way: You could believe in Jesus Christ, just as a historical person, who did interesting things for his time. That wouldn't make you a religious person, would it?
So, just because there are fanatics, who think, cryptocurrency will release us from the evil in the world, doesn't mean it is a religion. There are always fanatics.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
June 17, 2015, 09:47:09 AM
If religion means to believe in the success of something, on the basis of something that has yet to happen, then yes, bitcoin is a religion for all of us Smiley
But, this is not much different from faith in other things, family, favorite clubs etc.
We tend to believe in many different things but probably we need to find another name for it.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1001
/dev/null
June 17, 2015, 09:21:02 AM
for some guys, which are heavily invested and involved, betted everything possible to crypto and lurking whole day on crypto webs, reading all articles, running rigs...

religion is not maybe the precise word to describe their relation to crypto, but in some way is may become true..at least I can imagine it. if somebody is fanatic to something, it may become religion for sure.
Activity: 699
Merit: 500
June 17, 2015, 09:18:01 AM
I argue that Cryptocurrencies function as distinct religious beliefs, which affect ego permeability by playing into our natural tendencies to perceive attributes of money and value as inherently magic and spiritual.

I've thought about this, hilariously enough it is similar to Christianity, Catholicism....  I.e. CryptoCurrencies, Bitcoin and Satoshi  Smiley
Activity: 432
Merit: 250
June 17, 2015, 09:12:31 AM

Pages:
Jump to: