Pages:
Author

Topic: BitCoin vs Visa as an investment - page 3. (Read 4362 times)

legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
December 12, 2014, 05:08:08 AM
bitcoin for sure, faster, less reliable for now, but more potential
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
December 11, 2014, 08:52:05 PM
What are the pros/cons of making an equivalent long term investment in both BitCoin and Visa stock ??
Am I wrong to think that they are essentially equivalent ( both are low cost transaction networks )
other than the fact that Visa pays a small but growing dividend ??

Triff ..
These two proposals have very different risk/reward relationships. Visa on one hand is already an established corporation that gives current income via dividends to their shareholders, and is unlikely not going to go away in any living person's investment horizon.

Bitcoin on the other hand is still very speculative, is far from certain to succeed, however if it does succeed over the long term, it stands to appreciate much more then visa stock would likely rise. You cannot realistically expect to ever earn any kind of income from holding bitcoin safely
Activity: 952
Merit: 251
December 10, 2014, 01:07:56 PM
My initial enthusiasm for the potential of BitCoin became tempered when
I realized that the proliferation of altcoins ( of dubious utility ) ment that there
was absolutely no barrier to entry in this space ( blockchain based transaction networks )..
Additionally, the fact that the software ( or nearly everything ) is open sourced tells me that
any reasonably funded entity can co-opt this technology ( including Visa, MasterCard etc )
for their own purposes at any time if/when blockchain technology becomes ubiquitous or proves
superior ( cost ) to the existing transaction networks ..

BitCoin may carve a niche for itself as a digital store of value ( digital gold ?? ) or as
a trading vehicle ( due to volatility ) or as an alternative currency ..

legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016
December 10, 2014, 04:17:20 AM
The main advantage of investing VISA stock is safe and continually receiving dividends. It is nearly impossible for you to have a loss from the investment. But investing bitcoin is too risky due to the volatile price. Can you stand the loss of 10%, even 20% from invested capital in bitcoin or bitcoin related startups? Before you make any decision, you'd better gauge your risk tolerance level!
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000
December 10, 2014, 04:05:54 AM
Of
Am I wrong to think that they are essentially equivalent ( both are low cost transaction networks )
They are completely different networks. Bitcoin, as we know, is decentralized and anonymous network and Visa is opposite. How come they are the same? And Bitcoin is free or low cost (only when the transaction is less than 0.1BTC,  0.0001 fee is compulsory.) Using VISA's network is expensive comparing to using bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
December 09, 2014, 07:59:44 PM
Bitcoin don't evaporate over the time
... all other asset, yes (even gold is tax and bank "regulate"/stealing process).
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
December 09, 2014, 07:39:21 PM
Bitcoin has so much room for growth, the sky is the limit.

Visa is nearly at it's full potential, what can they do different from what they already do? Not much.

From an investor point of view, I will without a doubt choose to have Bitcoin as long term investment.
Activity: 952
Merit: 251
December 09, 2014, 11:16:24 AM
What are the pros/cons of making an equivalent long term investment in both BitCoin and Visa stock ??
other than the fact that Visa pays a small but growing dividend ??

Triff ..
Pages:
Jump to: