Pages:
Author

Topic: bitcoin wallet lifetime ? - page 2. (Read 2698 times)

sgk
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
!! HODL !!
June 18, 2015, 12:25:52 PM
hello,

I like to know where I can create a secure bitcoin wallet where I can keep my bitcoins for years, when I see websites that offer bitcoin wallet, I fear that one day the site no longer exists, and I lose all my bitcoins.

thanks.

Have you explored and cosidered the paper wallets? (or cold storage?)

- Encrypt your wallets with STRONG password
- Keep the 'savings' wallet always offline
- Put encrypted wallet inside password-protected ZIP, put it on multiple USB drives and put them at multiple secure locations like your bank locker
- Export the private keys and store them on offline device
- Print private keys on paper and put it in your bank locker
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
June 18, 2015, 09:22:00 AM
Trezor wallet can be the best, if you need wallet safety. Let say after 8 - 10 years, you can change Trezor to new one, because with time any electronical device can have problems  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140
June 17, 2015, 10:35:21 PM
hello,

I like to know where I can create a secure bitcoin wallet where I can keep my bitcoins for years, when I see websites that offer bitcoin wallet, I fear that one day the site no longer exists, and I lose all my bitcoins.

thanks.

+1 for paper wallets.   They are super useful.   The make it easy enough to import your keys at a later date that it's not an issue but just hard enough where you will be less tempted to spend your BTC.   And assuming your private keys are generated on an offline computer, without malware, your are as sure as can be that your BTC will be safe for years to come. 
Activity: 630
Merit: 502
June 17, 2015, 10:15:52 PM
hello,

thanks.

If you have a budget, buy hardware wallet it's more secure wallet. And if you won't to spend your money or don't have a budget for that, my recommendation is Electrum(you don't need download the data) or Bitcoin Core(you need download the data). For more info about wallet: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

~iki
Although hardware wallets are more secure than desktop wallets, i believe paper wallets can also provide that kind of security when done in an airgapped computer. There is no way to guarantee if the code has any vulnerabilities due to the size of the opensourced documents. Paper wallets has fewer documents which will allow users to thoroughly check through to check for vulnerabilities. More importantly, it is cheap/
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!
June 17, 2015, 06:07:48 PM
hello,

thanks.

If you have a budget, buy hardware wallet it's more secure wallet. And if you won't to spend your money or don't have a budget for that, my recommendation is Electrum(you don't need download the data) or Bitcoin Core(you need download the data). For more info about wallet: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

~iki
Activity: 714
Merit: 503
June 17, 2015, 04:20:28 PM
You should download a wallet like multibit or electrum
or create a paper wallet,if you just want to hold your bitcoins
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
BTC > etc
June 17, 2015, 04:12:01 PM
As suggested by other members - paper wallet is very safe and reasonably easy way to keep your btcs safe. Have 2 or 3 copies and keep them in safe places. Plenty of online tutorials on how to do it.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
June 17, 2015, 03:51:07 PM
bitaddress.org

Create a wallet on an offline computer.

If you don't know what that means.. don't buy Bitcoin until you do.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
June 17, 2015, 03:12:26 PM
hello,

thanks.

Hardware wallets or paper wallets are your best option.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
June 17, 2015, 01:56:44 PM
hello,

thanks.

Offline wallets can be updated, dont trust random 3rd party sources for your wallets.  Also learn a few different ways to store your bitcoins to diversify your security risk.  If you aren't an expert dont make anything too secure atm until you know more.
Bitcoin nature is quite volatile and random. We can't say how it will scale in the future or if future will be bright for us. If Op is planning to buy bitcoins, put them in wallet and then forgot about it for couple of years without monitoring bitcoin state, then I can't recommend you any wallet really. All I can say - stay away from online wallets, keep your money for yourself in wallet like Bitcoin Core, don't ever let any 3rd party take control over it.
legendary
Activity: 812
June 17, 2015, 01:42:17 PM
hello,

thanks.

Offline wallets can be updated, dont trust random 3rd party sources for your wallets.  Also learn a few different ways to store your bitcoins to diversify your security risk.  If you aren't an expert dont make anything too secure atm until you know more.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469
June 17, 2015, 01:19:36 PM
hello,

thanks.

You definitely need a cold storage as others have already suggested. I recommend you my Android app 'Deck Wallet':
https://bitcointalk.org/?topic=811397
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ecuamobi.deckwallet

It doesn't have problems most cold storage options have such as key-logger risks, poor entropy or risk of connecting to Internet.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014
In Satoshi I Trust
June 17, 2015, 01:16:08 PM
You should look into a hardware wallet:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-hardware-wallets-for-2015-reviewed-967272

Keeping money in an online wallet is a bad idea.

The most important thing about creating a wallet, is that you have created the private key yourself and that you backup your private key.

or a real overview  Grin :

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/overview-bitcoin-hardware-wallets-secure-your-coins-899253
Activity: 64
Merit: 10
June 17, 2015, 11:57:49 AM
Don't keep them online for long term. Blockchain.info is pretty safe but I still wouldn't keep large amounts of coins on there.

He doesn't even need a hardware wallet. Just make several back ups of your wallet.dat file and write the private keys down and keep them offline in a safe and secure place.
staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
June 17, 2015, 11:51:45 AM
I would recommend you never use an online wallet. You should get a hardware wallet for cold storage and use a software wallet on your computer. I would suggest using Bitcoin Armory.
Activity: 199
in the end, you only find the beginning
June 17, 2015, 11:36:04 AM
hello,

thanks.

for me the bitcoint qt wallet is more than enought, pretty easy to use and dont forget is the core wallet.
but if you want something like a cold-storage wallet and how to improve it, just check this pretty good thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/improving-offline-wallets-ie-cold-storage-68482

5 years im using bitcoin "default" client, but i wouldn't recommend it anymore. Leaving it off results in insane time needed to re-sync, takes up too much space and so on..
I have a friend who was using trezor, and still had multiple issues with it on it's software side, which makes me rethink of the "higher price-higher quality" theory
For lifetime wallet i would go for that titanium bitcoin cold storage, i doubt it gets better than that..
cheers

well yes sometimes it need some time to re-sync, also i notice that in this version 10.2 it consume so much cpu than before at least for me, i mean when it need to re-sync, but even with all those drawbacks still a pretty good chooise.

titanium bitcoin cold storage looks a nice alternative Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1722
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
June 17, 2015, 10:04:57 AM
hello,

thanks.

for me the bitcoint qt wallet is more than enought, pretty easy to use and dont forget is the core wallet.
but if you want something like a cold-storage wallet and how to improve it, just check this pretty good thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/improving-offline-wallets-ie-cold-storage-68482

5 years im using bitcoin "default" client, but i wouldn't recommend it anymore. Leaving it off results in insane time needed to re-sync, takes up too much space and so on..
I have a friend who was using trezor, and still had multiple issues with it on it's software side, which makes me rethink of the "higher price-higher quality" theory
For lifetime wallet i would go for that titanium bitcoin cold storage, i doubt it gets better than that..
cheers
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
June 17, 2015, 10:01:37 AM
hello,

thanks.

If you are this paranoid, it's simple, don't use an online wallet. I wouldn't trust even blockchain.info if I wanted to hold long term. Always get a local wallet, or get your private keys printed in a QR.
staff
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6152
June 17, 2015, 09:57:16 AM
hello,

thanks.

If you want something for Lifetime then it's easy , piece of cake . Hardware wallet are good but you can screw up and lose it or in case of touching it water .
So you have some other posibilities , one of them is Electrum/Multibit HD (Offline wallets) which both of them use "Seed words" now , You can recover your wallet and BTC in case of a computer failure using just those words , so all you need here is a "good memory" or you write them down .
second posibility and choice you have is Paper wallet , you print it, put it in a safe or whatever and you are good.
Activity: 199
in the end, you only find the beginning
June 17, 2015, 09:46:31 AM
hello,

thanks.

Pages:
Jump to: