Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin x64 for Windows - page 3. (Read 37373 times)

Activity: 61
Merit: 10
July 27, 2010, 12:52:17 PM
It is unstable at the moment. You need to either run it in a script or use the program written here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-watchdog-run-unstable-builds-unsupervised-580
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
July 27, 2010, 12:34:32 PM
I haven't generated any BTC since I stated using these 64bit builds because every time I come back to my computer it's crashed.

Is anyone having stable performance?
Activity: 182
July 27, 2010, 07:04:04 AM
Yes.  It's a great CPU  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
July 27, 2010, 04:41:40 AM
This is going off topic completely but, there is a very slim theoretical chance that you could have 7 cores on an amd machine. You could disable a core on a dual quad-core system or it might be possible to get another core or two by core unlocking (using the extra cores that are some times on amd cpus but,"locked"). Based on how many khash/s they are getting they do not have 7 cores or a running in a vm. If they do have 7 cores they should post a cpuz screenshot because, it would seem that we have an outlier in the performance boosts and it would be good to figure out why.

Back on topic, My desktop have been crunching away since last night @  06:57 am forum time (9 hours) using the intel build, no crashes, blocks are coming in, and I have 29 connections.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. I don't know how many cores I have, probably one. I just bought a laptop with an i7 core and thought that's what it meant. I'm going to just watch and listen for like a year (that's not a promise).

I have 8 cpu graphs in the task manager. Does this mean I have 4 and they are hyper threaded?

Really I'm done derailing you guys now.

Activity: 308
Merit: 256
July 26, 2010, 04:37:02 PM
Yeah, I easily see 10,000 khash/s on some of my lower end 8 core servers. This should give just about anyone a major speed boost.
Activity: 70
Merit: 11
July 26, 2010, 03:43:00 PM
OK, now for some absolutely incredible performance.

Credit to tcatm for the caching part of the SHA context - this offers absolutely brilliant performance. Additionally, the Intel compiler really comes into its own here as its parallelisation abilities give a massive performance boost over Visual Studio.

Performance: 4700khash/s on 4 cores, I think that speaks for itself.

I've included both the VS and Intel build, but there's really no comparison, the Intel build craps all over VS.

Grab SHA state caching Bitcoin here
Wow, this is the biggest jump I've ever seen. Nearly a 250% increase in speed from the stock version, amazing.  Now let's see how stable it is  Smiley

This one blows the other one out of the water, even on my AMD.
July 26, 2010, 02:44:33 PM
Credit to tcatm for the caching part of the SHA context - this offers absolutely brilliant performance. Additionally, the Intel compiler really comes into its own here as its parallelisation abilities give a massive performance boost over Visual Studio.

I've included both the VS and Intel build, but there's really no comparison, the Intel build craps all over VS.
Is that still starting from Crypto++?  Lets get this into the main sourcecode.

no, it's not Crypto++ now, check the x86 thread for relevant source links.
founder
Activity: 364
Merit: 6472
July 26, 2010, 02:41:31 PM

Is that still starting from Crypto++?  Lets get this into the main sourcecode.
July 26, 2010, 02:11:26 PM
I've thought about dialing BitCoin down to 7 active cores on my desktop machine, just to keep one free for general lightweight UI use.

the BitCoin threads are automatically assigned low priority; as soon as any other processes want to use the CPU it will automatically lose CPU time
Activity: 111
July 26, 2010, 02:03:29 PM
I've thought about dialing BitCoin down to 7 active cores on my desktop machine, just to keep one free for general lightweight UI use.
July 26, 2010, 12:44:54 PM
They do physically, but if you use a virtual machine, you can set environments to have 3 for example. Windows will work with 3 cores or 4 cores just fine, it doesn't care how many it has.

VMware only permits even numbers of processors/cores although I believe you can expose 8 cores and then configure the OS to only see 7.

if he really does have this setup, I'm going to bet that he's opted for more processors/cores than his CPU actually has (yep, you can do this but it will have a pretty negative effect on performance)
I was thinking about Virtual Box when I wrote that  Wink
Activity: 3
July 26, 2010, 12:05:59 PM
I hit 2700, up from 1250 stock.

I have 7 cores, how do I tell how many it's using? Can I control it?
Task Manager and Yes, options in Bit Coin allows you to control how many cores it's using.

Long time visitor, First time poster. How can you possibly have 7 cores? What Processor are you running, Cores come in even numbers . . . I would check your processor is working correctly. How do you even know that you have 7 cores and you don't know how to control them. I'm guessing your a Windows user.

I had to register to rebel against some of the crap I see been posted here!

Every time he posts I want to poke him in the eye, the one conveniently posted to the left of his friendly well-meaning nonsense  Grin

Ive only had one post . . . so far! OliPro love the work your doing with BitCoin
Activity: 39
July 26, 2010, 12:03:23 PM
This is going off topic completely but, there is a very slim theoretical chance that you could have 7 cores on an amd machine. You could disable a core on a dual quad-core system or it might be possible to get another core or two by core unlocking (using the extra cores that are some times on amd cpus but,"locked"). Based on how many khash/s they are getting they do not have 7 cores or a running in a vm. If they do have 7 cores they should post a cpuz screenshot because, it would seem that we have an outlier in the performance boosts and it would be good to figure out why.

Back on topic, My desktop have been crunching away since last night @  06:57 am forum time (9 hours) using the intel build, no crashes, blocks are coming in, and I have 29 connections.
July 26, 2010, 11:51:13 AM
They do physically, but if you use a virtual machine, you can set environments to have 3 for example. Windows will work with 3 cores or 4 cores just fine, it doesn't care how many it has.

VMware only permits even numbers of processors/cores although I believe you can expose 8 cores and then configure the OS to only see 7.

if he really does have this setup, I'm going to bet that he's opted for more processors/cores than his CPU actually has (yep, you can do this but it will have a pretty negative effect on performance)
July 26, 2010, 11:43:43 AM

Task Manager and Yes, options in Bit Coin allows you to control how many cores it's using.

Long time visitor, First time poster. How can you possibly have 7 cores? What Processor are you running, Cores come in even numbers . . . I would check your processor is working correctly. How do you even know that you have 7 cores and you don't know how to control them. I'm guessing your a Windows user.

Every time he posts I want to poke him in the eye, the one conveniently posted to the left of his friendly well-meaning nonsense  Grin
July 26, 2010, 11:33:34 AM
Activity: 3
July 26, 2010, 11:28:07 AM

July 26, 2010, 10:16:05 AM

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
July 26, 2010, 10:13:13 AM

July 26, 2010, 10:06:53 AM
OK, now for some absolutely incredible performance.

Grab SHA state caching Bitcoin here
Wow, this is the biggest jump I've ever seen. Nearly a 250% increase in speed from the stock version, amazing.  Now let's see how stable it is  Smiley

Pages:
Jump to: