Pages:
Author

Topic: bitcoin7.com 'hacked'. Database and wallets 'stolen' - page 4. (Read 22855 times)

cjp
Activity: 210
Merit: 124
About 1..2 weeks before this happened, there was an incident where I sent euros to b7, but b7 claimed they never arrived. I started investigating this by contacting the involved banks, but before my investigation finished, b7 reported that my euros finally arrived. I was able to trade them for BTC, and withdraw the BTC. Unfortunately I chose to not withdraw all BTC  Cry .

This incident is consistent with an honest b7, but another theory could be that they tried whether this was a feasible way to steal money, and decided to cancel the action once they somehow found out that I was serious about getting my money back.

If this 'hacking' incident is another theft attempt, I assume we can again push the b7 people back into honest behavior by showing how serious we are about getting the money back. To start this: I have e-mail headers from Radoslav, which confirm that they were sent from some game company in Sofia. It should not be too difficult to find all kinds of evidence about his physical identity.

I expect that an honest b7 will be able to send all euros and dollars back to their owners. Since the user database was compromised, authentication should be done by e-mail. As far as the BTC are concerned, I expect them to release evidence about which Bitcoin addresses were used in the three wallets, and send back at least the fraction of BTCs that was not stolen.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
So after all of whatever effort they put into this thing, they made off with about what a semi-skilled software engineer makes in a few months.  Pretty lame.

More than their allowance money I bet.    I say this jokingly, but it might be true.
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
I hope all the exchanges learn from whatever mistakes were made that could have been prevented here.

Ya.  Execute the end-game strategy before the next exchange does so.  Being late on the trigger can cause users to wise up about the stupidity of leaving excess funds in someone else's care.  Or not Sad

On the more hopeful side, I am glad that lowlifes are obtaining some reasonable amount of capital in this manner.  I'm betting that these are the types of people who will release their (and I use 'their' deliberately) BTC in exchange for scooters, rent, blowjobs, etc.

---

As for the funds taken, I looked at the offers history on the bitcoincharts history and it seemed to be around 1600 for the USD one.  Probably some morons had BTC with these guys which were not in play.  Lets say 3000 BTC total.  So after all of whatever effort they put into this thing, they made off with about what a semi-skilled software engineer makes in a few months.  Pretty lame.  At least by not having a big haul they probably didn't piss off anyone too important.
Activity: 686
Wat
Wonder what the total was taken.

yes I wonder too. I dont think the volume was big.
Activity: 107
Merit: 10
and obviously all the coins will be dumped on the market, pushing the price down...
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
Wonder what the total was taken.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.558689

And guess what, i was right. The same tactic saved me from all scams in EVE Online, while other people...well, the last big scam in EVE, some months ago, scammed over a trillion of billions of ISK. Funny thing: a lot of ppl were saying that it was a scam, but that didn't stop them from finding fools to scam.

So this is overall feeling on the topic since Bitcoin is what is in the eyes of the laws and governments or whoever.  I understand that.   I still think the real threat of having such large quantities of Bitcoin being held by some who may not be the top people in security factors in.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Scam.

And everyone who used it deserve to lost their coins.  Wink

I see there were troubles https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin7-not-answering-emails-44390 https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/something-wrong-with-bitcoin7-45307 , but scam?

Sorry to all the users.

I hope all the exchanges learn from whatever mistakes were made that could have been prevented here.
Yesterday i wrote that:

The lesson I learned from the Mybitcoin scam was to never use another online wallet again.  It doesn't matter how secure the wallet is, there is nothing preventing the owner from walking away with all your money.  Remember, Bitcoin has absolutely no property rights. This is a huge downfall that will have to be addressed before widespread adoption can take place. Until then, secure your coins yourself.  The client isn't that hard to use and now has encrypted wallets.  And this forum is full of ways to securely back up wallets.

The client is the problem.    You can't access it easily from your mobile phone,  your work computer if you have it installed at home,  etc.

MyBitCoin was a complete scam...    but just because you had that doesn't mean that every freaking bitcoin company out there is a scam...   Is Mt.Gox a scam?  Tradehill a scam? 

Oh, i've read that SO many times in the market forum of EVE Online.

And everytime a new scam appeared. Not only that, but each time they scammed more and more money. And yet they are "yes but not everything is a scam", and people keep investing...erh...getting scammed.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.558689

And guess what, i was right. The same tactic saved me from all scams in EVE Online, while other people...well, the last big scam in EVE, some months ago, scammed over a trillion of billions of ISK. Funny thing: a lot of ppl were saying that it was a scam, but that didn't stop them from finding fools to scam.
Activity: 1138
Merit: 523
There was rumor a couple of weeks or so ago, that this actually happened back then.

It was mentioned in #btc-value and on #bitcoin

I assume that someone has IRC logs from that far back mine however are gone.
Scam.

And everyone who used it deserve to lost their coins.  Wink

I see there were troubles https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin7-not-answering-emails-44390 https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/something-wrong-with-bitcoin7-45307 , but scam?

Sorry to all the users.

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Scam.

And everyone who used it deserve to lost their coins.  Wink
Activity: 154
Merit: 100

I just read a post by Bruce Wagner, written back in July, where he states he didn't trust them.

A convicted scammer and fraudster like our absent Bruce calling out another scam? Who'd have thought it?
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
So, are they releasing their code? 

legendary
There is a lot of information about them in this thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin7com-brand-new-exchange-market-17043 right here on our very own forum.  Seems like there was a lot of red flags from day one.

I just read a post by Bruce Wagner, written back in July, where he states he didn't trust them.

legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
There is a lot of information about them in this thread https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin7com-brand-new-exchange-market-17043 right here on our very own forum.  Seems like there was a lot of red flags from day one.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
They are a bulgarian game software firm with an office in Sofia. I believe they can be tracked pretty easily if someone wants to.
Палиш BMW-то и към тях Cheesy.
Activity: 812
Merit: 502
They are a bulgarian game software firm with an office in Sofia. I believe they can be tracked pretty easily if someone wants to.
legendary
I found out who they are:
I take it that you are being sarcastic? Smiley

Yes. Except for the one year registration. Every time I see this for any company tells me that they don't have a business plan pass the one year mark. Ten more bucks (thereabout) gets you two years. One less red flag for me to see.

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1076
Why were people using an exchange in Eastern Europe with no public contacts and a previous history of bad security? Same story with MtGox. Same story with MyBitcoin. I honestly cannot understand why.

And I should mention that orderbook volume is usually 1% of the total funds on a site. It probably is a significant amount of funds. It's sad this has to happen to people time and again.

legendary
Dear User,

Please read carefully the following critical announcement.

On Oct 5th 2011 Bitcoin7.com became the victim of a number of pre-planned hacker attacks. -- (This pre-planned phrase has be puzzled)

While our investigation is still going, evidence reveals that the attacks originated from Russia and Eastern Europe. (Where all the mad guys on the internet come from)

The attack itself took action not only against the bitcoin7.com server but also against other websites and servers which were part of the same network. Eventually the hackers managed to breach into the network which subsequently lead to a major breach into the bitcoin7.com website. (What network is this? No dedicated Server?)

As a result of the hacking, unknown individuals managed to gain full access to the site's main bitcoin depository/wallet and 2 of the 3 backup wallets. (I foresee a 33/66 return oppose to a 49/51)

In addition the hackers gained access to our user database. (Great News! More passwords to be DUMPED on the net.)

Even though our faith in the bitcoin project and community remains as strong as it ever was, it is our responsibility to admit that the scale of the damage is far beyond our financial and physical capabilities. (33% is still better than 0%)

This is why we have decided to cease the operation of bitcoin7.com and instead of investing in new technology and personnel that could possibly help us overcome this unfortunate situation, we decided that we'd rather gather all possible finances through all possible means and initiate a crisis plan for reimbursing the lost balances of our users. (I will start sucking dick if everyone gets back 100% of what is owed them.)

This is also an open invitation to all interested investors which have interest in taking over the site at the only cost of recovering the stolen bitcoins. (Every time I find a great investment, I'm always to late. Surely others are ahead of me knocking down the doors to get in on the ground floor of owning this outfit.)

The crisis plan will take action over the next 90 days. On behalf of the management of bitcoin7.com we want to apologize for this extremely stressful situation. (90 days is better than 30 days, but afterwards no promises of further contact.)

More specific updates will follow within the next 24 hours with detailed instructions about how to withdraw your funds. (Let's hope it's only a three step process without having to change user names, passwords, etc.)

Pages:
Jump to: