Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoinica No Spread Charged for the next 12 hours. - page 3. (Read 4985 times)

Activity: 85
Merit: 10
Advisory stop alerts aren't automatically executed... so unlike automated stops, which will execute at market, you have the opportunity to close your position however you prefer.   For an item this thinly traded, though, you aren't going to want to hold large positions at one price point since it will be hard to liquidate.  Better to stick wiith small lots or at least scale-in/scale-out, and you won't need to worry so much if the spread is big.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
hm, problem is what about liability if it fails to execute a stop for you?  
New code always has bugs.

Maybe it would make sense to create an advisory bot though .. one that sends out alerts if your stop or trailing stop is hit...

Can't say I didn't try to warn you.  I've posted a couple of times that stop orders won't protect you.

Stop orders will be executed at the market price.  And if the market price changes quickly to below your zhoutong price, *zhoutonged*.
hm, problem is what about liability if it fails to execute a stop for you?  
New code always has bugs.

Maybe it would make sense to create an advisory bot though .. one that sends out alerts if your stop or trailing stop is hit...
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
How big are the spreads on Bitcoinica, on average?  On Mt Gox it's just a few cents.

http://charts.bitcoinica.com/daily_quotes

Thanks for the charts. I see .10, .15 and .20 spreads. Oh well, guess that's the price for playing with margin.
stewart, it wouldn't be too hard to write a bot in php to run stops for you, surprised nobody has made one yet.

Wish I had the smarts to do this, and what a great MT Gox trading help this would be. I would happily donate BTC for that kind of bot.
legendary
Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000
How big are the spreads on Bitcoinica, on average?  On Mt Gox it's just a few cents.

http://charts.bitcoinica.com/daily_quotes
Bitcoinica has stop loss. Day trading is tricky cos of spreads though. You have 6 hours of the "reduced spreads special" to go though ...

stewart, it wouldn't be too hard to write a bot in php to run stops for you, surprised nobody has made one yet.

others -- i am already using google dns...
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087
Bitcoinica has stop loss. Day trading is tricky cos of spreads though. You have 6 hours of the "reduced spreads special" to go though ...
Bitcoinica is oriented around a somewhat different model of trading with 'positions' as well as the more Gox/Intersango like 'exchange' transactions.

I guess the ability to do stop loss orders is impossible for someone who just wants to do regular day-trading with Bitcoins.

Sigh....
Activity: 1778
Merit: 504
WorkAsPro
Bitcoinica is oriented around a somewhat different model of trading with 'positions' as well as the more Gox/Intersango like 'exchange' transactions.
I am a MT Gox trader, but am curious about Bitcoinica.

Does Bitcoinica give you the ability to do Stop Loss Orders? Can I trade like I would on Mt Gox with close spreads, or is the spread so far apart that its not worthwhile?

I cant seem to find an exchange that does stop loss orders with enough volume.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
DNS issue is known, Zhoutong said he's working on it, but that was a while ago so I guess it's not terribly high priority.  For now you can use opendns or googledns (8.8.8.Cool
legendary
I just tried to get to bitcoinica (clicking the link in this message) but looks like site is down - dns lookup failed.. ??

Have not been able to get to this site once yet.

http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=lookup&host=www.bitcoinica.com

Can you access that IP?
I just tried to get to bitcoinica (clicking the link in this message) but looks like site is down - dns lookup failed.. ??

Have not been able to get to this site once yet.

We have reached 2,000-user mark. To celebrate, we're glad to announce that we won't charge any extra spreads on top of market spreads in the next 12 hours.

Starting: January 9, 2012 2:00 pm UTC
Ending: January 10, 2012 2:00 am UTC

We are paying all Mt. Gox fees incurred during this celebration. You just have to trade at the price that provides you enough liquidity!

Our largest 24-hour volume ever was over 200,000 BTC. Let's see how much we can trade today! Enjoy your trading!

By the way, if you still don't have an account yet, grab one at https://www.bitcoinica.com before time runs out.

UPDATE: It has already started! 12 hours 3 minutes and counting...
legendary
It'll be interesting to see what effect, if any, this has on the market. Increased volatility due to people trading more freely? Decreased volatility due to it being profitable to trade in a tighter range now?

Not that I think we'll be able to tell, so much noise in the system anyway.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Drunk Posts
I'm pretty sure you right! I think I just watched you take a dump all over the market, it broke moody and goxlive!

Bitcoinica doesn't use the crappy API that Clark moody and Mt. Gox live use.

There's never anything wrong with the prices after the algorithm change.

What API do you use? Does gox have something private thats more reliable?
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Shame on everything; regret nothing.
I'm pretty sure you right! I think I just watched you take a dump all over the market, it broke moody and goxlive!

Bitcoinica doesn't use the crappy API that Clark moody and Mt. Gox live use.

There's never anything wrong with the prices after the algorithm change.

Careful using absolutes, good sir ;-)
legendary
Activity: 947
Merit: 1042
Hamster ate my bitcoin
Dear Mr Z,

I have been mucking around on Bitcoinica for about a month now, with a small amount of coins. I think the site is excellent and I'm very impressed.

However, the possibility of becoming trapped in a position (due to no reserve) is stopping me from moving more money to your site.

Is this something that will be fixed in the future?
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087
Don't worry I love you zhou, I think you're site is marvellous and props to you for (bit)coining it in - I'm only jealous i didn't do it first! You're bound to get a few haters on the way though eh Wink

It's very interesting to watch the effect bitcoinica can/does have on the market. (as a proxy for crazy people's sentiment, that is!)

Of course I have to include myself in the 'crazy people'...

Keep on trucking Mr Z
Pages:
Jump to: