Pages:
Author

Topic: BitcoinSeedSplitter - page 2. (Read 428 times)

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
April 09, 2021, 07:09:50 AM
I would be careful using any shamir secret sharing because it has single point of failure and I don't think geo-distributed seed storage is much useful in this case.

Multisig is much better option like I wrote in comparison topic Multisig VS Shamir Secret Sharing.
Activity: 183
Merit: 112
Just digging around
April 09, 2021, 06:32:28 AM
You need to share it in different places to avoid loosing it. To fire, theft. But if you store the seed phrase in any ONE place you are also subject of theft. I mean stealing your bitcoins by using the seed.

If you split your seed you can store it in several places without the theft risk.
You also gain fault tolerance. Like if you use 3 of 5 you can have two of the Shares lost yet you can still reconstruct you seed.

The shares itself are just medium sensitive as they are worthless one-by-one, without a quorum present.

Simply splitting the original 12 seed words to pieces makes you loose the whole seed if one of them is lost Also makes it possible/easier to break (theoretically/future). Especially if you are starting to use redundancy, eg. splittin the 12 words to 3x6 not 3x4. But even in this case you are not really NofM redundant because your splits are not equal (so it matters which one you lost).

Shares produced don't weaken the original difficulty and also add fault tolerance. A lot of fault tolerance actually. So if you have 3 safe places it is still better IMHO to store 2 of 3 Shares than 3x4 words (or any mix of them). For me storing the whole/large chucnk of the seed anywhere is way too risky.

Share calculation details is in the source, but I will add a brief to the original post.

Hmm, I'm reading how it works. Would it be dumb to ask how can this help? Why would one want to split his seed phrase on different places? Also, how can you do that technically? I mean, how are the output shares calculated?

Couldn't this work by simply writing x out of y words on ω papers? It could work on a twelve-words mnemonic with two words missing. (e.g 1 piece of paper out of 6)

Just digging around
April 09, 2021, 06:25:57 AM
Indeed it is using Shamir sharing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamir%27s_Secret_Sharing

With a few I think nice additiion from Slip39.

Like adding the minimum share bits at the beginning and splitid (first word) to identify you have the right word. In addition checking for valid BIP39 input and output.

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 6415
Farewell, Leo
April 09, 2021, 06:11:36 AM
Hmm, I'm reading how it works. Would it be dumb to ask how can this help? Why would one want to split his seed phrase on different places? Also, how can you do that technically? I mean, how are the output shares calculated?

Couldn't this work by simply writing x out of y words on ω papers? It could work on a twelve-words mnemonic with two words missing. (e.g 1 piece of paper out of 6)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
April 09, 2021, 06:10:12 AM
Thanks for sharing. Do you mind sharing how it works? Is it similar with how RAID 5 works?
This is just like Shamir's secret sharing. Just like M-of-N in which M shares out of the N secrets can be used to recovered back the whole seed phrase. But Shamir's secret sharing will convert the seed phrase to alphabets and numbers, but this one on the OP board will convert the seed phrase to words instead of characters.

I have used Shamir's secret sharing before, but never used this one before, I got the idea from the link posted by the OP

Usage example: You have a 12 words seed which you want to store safely in 5 places with fault tolerancy. 3 of the 5 shares will be enough to rebuild the original seed. (plust the optional password)

Orignal Mnemonic: venture whale soap pave enjoy bid skull journey exotic soon phone proof

Output Shares:

stage middle dune innocent acid chimney clog focus metal nut flat tissue era female advice senior
stage era draw run glue brass cruel token produce sort wide tragic real tray wagon exit
stage slush economy focus oak vote box cruel license belt slow shoot sock session elder panda
stage clump donor major grape glad network quote sort above mad rule left verify such gate
stage proof earth genre music middle river guess topic swim rebel outer adult spend harvest rapid
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
April 09, 2021, 05:54:39 AM
Thanks for sharing. Do you mind sharing how it works? Is it similar with how RAID 5 works?
It's shamir secret sharing. Iancoleman's BIP39 uses this to split it up as a form of multi factor recovery.
legendary
Activity: 2842
Merit: 7333
Crypto Swap Exchange
April 09, 2021, 05:48:19 AM
Just digging around
April 09, 2021, 05:25:40 AM
Hi,

I needed a BIP39Seed/Mnemonic splitter for fault-tolerant Geo-distributed seed storage.

Here is a small tool. Simple, but does the work.

Cheers,

https://github.com/GhostOfSatoshi/BitcoinSeedSplitter

At the moment windows only, but .NET5 should make it easy to compile a version for Linux.

Pages:
Jump to: