Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcointalk.org collectible coin? - page 4. (Read 4674 times)

copper member
Activity: 37
Merit: 23
February 22, 2019, 03:29:42 AM
Come to think of it maybe a contest would be good idea too.
legendary
Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276
Heisenberg Design Services
February 21, 2019, 05:40:11 AM
50-300 is fine.
If we do not state a definite upper limit then we run into a Sorites paradox, where n+1 is as good as n and hence we arbitrarily increase.
Wouldn't it make those 50-300 limited run coins more costly? If they are rare, these coins will surely be auctioned in future which shouldn't happen, since theymos has said that he offers these anniversary coins to only to few specific members based on certain criteria. Also, it would be good if those members were selected who has really contributed to the forum such as MODS, devs of epochtalk (probably just an idea), donators and other reputed guys roaming here. This shouldn't be handed over based on so called merit criteria since not all top merit receivers know about collectibles and their uniqueness actually.

I like the sound of this. We could have a design and print done rather quickly, and be ready to ship before the anniversary.
Your notes were always of the best quality right from the newly made 10 year Bitcoin note and the community would love to see how you bring out the note if it was for the forum anniversary.  Smiley

Until now I haven't even joined any of the many giveaways because I don't want to dox myself, but I might have to reconsider for this anniversary edition.
You could trust collectors like MJ, they are a lot more trustworthy than any one here and would help in even reshipping them to your address. I guess MJ has a separate warehouse (The Mantis warehouse) for his collections.  Shocked
Activity: 765
Merit: 283
February 21, 2019, 04:34:21 AM
We all know of some really experienced collectors and some amazing designers here, by pointing out who should design vs who should not is just not fair among designers.

My suggestion:
1. Create a small group of 10-15 EXPERIENCED and KNOWLEDGEABLE collectors as judges
2. All designers submit their designs to them.
3. After review they can choose whatever number of designs(maybe around 3-5) they choose and create the polls along with/without the prices for the community to choose the final design.
4. For distribution - that's little bit tricky and don't have any idea how to do that, i am sure one of the senior members can chime in new creative idea or probably some way that was used in one of the earlier auctions or sales.

After all this is a community anniversary coin that we are talking about and we should let community choose.

I like this idea, a contest will be nice for this one.
Activity: 166
Merit: 170
In memory of Zepher
February 21, 2019, 04:28:06 AM
I'd definitely like one!
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827
February 21, 2019, 02:09:44 AM
Never mind Silver.

It seems only proper that any limited offering be minted on, at least 99%+ Au.

Bitcoin is ultimately looking to supplant Au.

It's poetic.

... personally, I would wish for Platinum, but recognize reality being what it is.

How about we make it from jade instead? And instead of the shape of the coin, we will make it the shape of your favorite green object.  Cheesy
Activity: 910
Merit: 452
Check your coin privilege
February 21, 2019, 01:39:48 AM
4. For distribution - that's little bit tricky and don't have any idea how to do that, i am sure one of the senior members can chime in new creative idea or probably some way that was used in one of the earlier auctions or sales.

Im sure a lot of coin manufacturers know how to ship their coins to multiple people. For example Krogothmanhattan jhas given away hundreds of coins so far, by now I'd bet he has a lot of experience on the how of it.
Activity: 1736
Merit: 501
https://rollbit.com/referral/Agrawas
February 21, 2019, 01:11:21 AM
We all know of some really experienced collectors and some amazing designers here, by pointing out who should design vs who should not is just not fair among designers.

My suggestion:
1. Create a small group of 10-15 EXPERIENCED and KNOWLEDGEABLE collectors as judges
2. All designers submit their designs to them.
3. After review they can choose whatever number of designs(maybe around 3-5) they choose and create the polls along with/without the prices for the community to choose the final design.

After all this is a community anniversary coin that we are talking about and we should let community choose.

legendary
Activity: 2214
Merit: 3209
Flippin' burgers since 1163.
February 20, 2019, 04:01:26 PM
Very interesting idea, following!
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
February 20, 2019, 10:18:46 AM
im in for several.

1 oz .999 silver is my preference.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464
Self made HODLER ✓
February 20, 2019, 09:31:27 AM
I'm not a collector, but a Bitcointalk coin somehow sounds very attractive. Until now I haven't even joined any of the many giveaways because I don't want to dox myself, but I might have to reconsider for this anniversary edition.

Getting a PO Box is a good way to prevent this.  Wink

Or sending it to a friend, which is what I plan to do. It's not like I need perfect opsec anyways.
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 3238
The Stone the masons rejected was the cornerstone.
February 20, 2019, 07:34:29 AM
I'm not a collector, but a Bitcointalk coin somehow sounds very attractive. Until now I haven't even joined any of the many giveaways because I don't want to dox myself, but I might have to reconsider for this anniversary edition.

Getting a PO Box is a good way to prevent this.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
February 20, 2019, 06:25:10 AM

I’d also be willing to offer my engraving services, but am not sure that private keys known by an individual would be a great idea.
BIP38 can limit the risk, if only the receiver knows the password and the encrypted key gets engraved.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 12081
BTC + Crossfit, living life.
February 19, 2019, 05:37:43 PM
just curious what's gonna come out of this Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2210
Merit: 1109
February 19, 2019, 04:06:03 PM
Will be watching this thread closely. I'd throw my hat in the ring, sounds like an awesome project. Competition could be a great way to go about choosing a design.

I agree on the competition, great idea.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1047
February 19, 2019, 03:30:41 PM
Damn I first thought it is a normal user initiative, that would be great to see, and i would rather pay a bit and have it silver Smiley.

Edit: Perhaps a bitcoin chart ? I mean for one side of the coin.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057
bigtimespaghetti.com
February 19, 2019, 08:27:06 AM
Will be watching this thread closely. I'd throw my hat in the ring, sounds like an awesome project. Competition could be a great way to go about choosing a design.
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464
Self made HODLER ✓
February 19, 2019, 04:25:48 AM
A small run of a coin is obviously more costly than a larger one. It seems part of the idea of Theymos is to give the coin for free to some members that deserve it according to a not-yet-specified criteria. Probably a small group, more so if the coin features/quality make it costly.

Also that would leave many people interested "out of the deal".

Maybe the solution is to make a larger run, thus reducing the premium, and some people get it for free and the rest can buy it at cost? Also it is unknown where and how much the money going to cover the cost of the free coins is coming from. Another possibility is that there is a small surcharge on the paid coins to cover the cost of the free ones.

That would probably make a better coin be produced than if the budget was more restricted (ie. only free run).

Win-Win for everyone?

Also I would think a cool feature for a coin like this would be to have engraved (no holo) the nickname and or a user supplied public key (not a private one - not your keys, not your bitcoins you know). That would raise the sentimental value and meaning of the coin for forum members, and also substantially reduce the resell market of it.

Just some random ideas...

copper member
Activity: 37
Merit: 23
February 19, 2019, 03:52:57 AM
In my opinion Mike should do the coin. Cas coins are nr. 1, great design, flawless mint.
Perhaps do a combination of 1000 gold and 0.1 silver
0.1 BTC gold coin!

https://en.bitcoin.it/w/images/en/0/0b/Casascius_1000_BTC_gold_round.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wabco7x.jpg?1
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024
February 19, 2019, 03:45:19 AM
This sounds like an awesome idea! Really hope it works out.

With regards to the design, I personally find the simpler but distinct ones to be a lot more appealing. It would be pretty cool if the coin design was linked to bitcointalk not just explicitly, but also contained some sort of hidden/secret message. Just a thought.
Activity: 626
Merit: 200
Gula membunuhmu.
February 19, 2019, 12:35:36 AM
- Does this sound like a good idea?
Im been waiting for that idea. for commemorating bitcointalk.org's 10th anniversary.

- What features would make the coin especially interesting?
- Gets the value on the coin.
- Unique Number (#Limited).
- Certificate, maybe.

- What's the best way to get a coin like this made?
That is  definitely a rare collection coin. But let's be fair, I suggest the lottery or raffle mode.

Let's do some vote  Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: