Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitfury - Mining Lighbulb - page 4. (Read 15387 times)

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
July 04, 2015, 11:53:16 AM
If they can build them slightly better than the competition, but also slightly cheaper than the competition, such that they end up with the same shelf price and power consumption even with the miner running, they might get more sales on gimmick alone and people won't realize they're paying more than they should to get a bitnickel per year.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
July 04, 2015, 07:57:33 AM
It will be interesting to find out how it prices out, and where they try and sell them, both geographically and which merchants.

Just think, you can hand them out to your family members at Christmas!!!  Smiley
You do realise they will make less bitcoin than they cost to run in electricity for most people if not everyone?
(who doesn't make someone else pay for their electricity)
... ignoring the possible extra cost of also having to buy one ...
alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
July 04, 2015, 02:10:19 AM
It will be interesting to find out how it prices out, and where they try and sell them, both geographically and which merchants.

Just think, you can hand them out to your family members at Christmas!!!  Smiley
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
July 04, 2015, 01:18:04 AM
Yes, but now you get the additional benefit(?) of being placed on a map Wink
http://bitlamp.club/
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
July 04, 2015, 01:04:44 AM
It has half of the components of a smart LED bulb.

Who the hell even spends their money on this useless crap anyways? And That's still not justification to putting mining chip(s) in them, especially to -as Kano pointed out- likely provide no positive return for the consumer.

The only way this will fly in the mainstream crowd is if they market these as smart bulbs and give them away to customers for free, and have them locked to their own pool.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
July 03, 2015, 08:35:00 PM

Short summary of the above:

Configured via a Web interface in terms of pool, as well as the light bulb parameters (e.g. color, brightness, etc). Looks kinda like a "Party Bulb" with multiple colors and such. The example showed 2.6 GH/s. No mention of power consumption. Supposedly available at the retail level late in 2015. No mention of price or geography for retail sales.
i.e. missing all the data that will point out why no one should buy them ...

i.e. make money for Bitfury, lose money for everyone else.

Oh, where have I seen this happen before ... ... ...
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001
July 03, 2015, 02:35:48 PM
Yeah I think Phillips has the wifi bulbs that adjust color based on the TV show you watch
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
July 03, 2015, 12:54:29 PM

So the bulb, the PCB, chip and heatsink, controller board, wifi dongle, all for 2.6GH/s.  Brilliant.
Half of these things are already in smart LED bulbs available for cheap anyway.  Find one that has the bare minimum required to tell the chip what to hash and can get result data back from it, and all you have to add is the ASIC.

exactly.. lot of stuff out already it seems

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=wifi+led+light+bulb+review
alh
legendary
July 03, 2015, 03:06:46 AM
So the bulb, the PCB, chip and heatsink, controller board, wifi dongle, all for 2.6GH/s.  Brilliant.

Actually I think the brilliance is adjustable!!!  Smiley

Just couldn't resist the pun, though I completely agree.........
FUN > ROI
July 02, 2015, 04:36:50 PM
2.6GH - is that one of their old chips?
Might as well be.. who would notice, really? Smiley  I suppose they can't really do much with the demonstration pieces at these events, otherwise I'm surprised that nobody plopped the dome off to take a peek underneath.

Half of these things are already in smart LED bulbs available for cheap anyway.  Find one that has the bare minimum required to tell the chip what to hash and can get result data back from it, and all you have to add is the ASIC.

'guess it's been another week-ish, so:

BitFury still on the rise.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
July 02, 2015, 01:59:05 PM
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
July 02, 2015, 01:57:41 PM
2.6GH - is that one of their old chips?
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001
July 02, 2015, 01:16:19 PM
seems pretty interesting, convert houses to these, switch your office out, etc.. low hash rate but it adds up and for a lightbulb you cant expect much
alh
legendary
July 02, 2015, 12:19:59 PM

Short summary of the above:

Configured via a Web interface in terms of pool, as well as the light bulb parameters (e.g. color, brightness, etc). Looks kinda like a "Party Bulb" with multiple colors and such. The example showed 2.6 GH/s. No mention of power consumption. Supposedly available at the retail level late in 2015. No mention of price or geography for retail sales.
FUN > ROI
June 24, 2015, 11:25:01 AM
Good find! Self-taught chip designer, not a self-taught logo designer Smiley
Just to point out from the reddit thread as well - seems this logo's been used (mostly by sports teams) since the late naughties (are we still calling the 00's that?  Wait.. 00.. *checks spondoolies logo*) and probably before that.  You'd have to get lucky to find the original designer, but at this point it's so watered down that I'm not sure it's little more than trivia.

Thanks for the updated graph. You really need to automate it ...
I thought dogie was going to plan something? Smiley

I was working on some data gathering, but considering there's a lot that's not technically on the block chain, that's a lot of work in days with far too few hours Smiley

As a further aside, this bit of news got lost in the Tblisi flood & aftermath:
http://cbw.ge/technology/bitfury-group-developing-modern-technologies-in-georgia/
( Follow-up to http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150601006854/en/BitFury-Acquiring-Privatized-Land-Plot-Republic-Georgia#.VYrLRvmqpBd )
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
June 24, 2015, 10:42:38 AM

Good find! Self-taught chip designer, not a self-taught logo designer Smiley
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051
Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs
June 24, 2015, 10:10:22 AM
Well, they did cancel Top Gear, after all Smiley
Grin

Meanwhile:

organofcorti's block maker stats page isn't up yet, and I haven't adjusted mine to account for some minor findings
Thanks for the updated graph. You really need to automate it ...
FUN > ROI
June 24, 2015, 10:06:12 AM
Given that HS logo was around back in 2012 2011 even and BitFury's slightly more humble beginnings, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a template or nabbed.  If it turns out it was nabbed, maybe they can sponsor the team Wink

btw, BitFury CTO (Valery Nebesny) finally revealed his face: http://www.bitfury.org/team
Well, they did cancel Top Gear, after all Smiley

Meanwhile:

organofcorti's block maker stats page isn't up yet, and I haven't adjusted mine to account for some minor findings
donator
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051
Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs
Pages:
Jump to: