Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitinstant brokering extortion threats? - page 2. (Read 7318 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
September 08, 2012, 10:59:15 PM
i don't see how this is anything other than a cute publicity stunt, or anywhere near as damaging to a business as a garish dick swinging contest
Activity: 184
Merit: 100
September 08, 2012, 10:57:24 PM
jackasses!  Get a new PR company!
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
September 08, 2012, 10:17:19 PM
I saw it mentioned in this thread that it's important to stand up for what we believe in.

I agree with this, however there are cases when this can backfire severely and create unnecessary stress.

I've heard law enforcement agencies swipe with a wide brush before when trying to solve a case. FBI for instance simply don't care if they disrupt the service of a company if they're doing an investigation.

FBI aiming for one server, but takes 'tens of servers': http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/f-b-i-seizes-web-servers-knocking-sites-offline/

Homes raided and all electronic equipment seized for several Occupy movement members:
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2012/07/25/18718309.php?show_comments=1

So the point I'm trying to get across is that, standing up for what you believe in is all fine and dandy, but then you also have to face the consequences if just one detective from Secret Service, FBI or whatever decides that Bitinstant is a lead, or may be affiliated with the hackers. Then they may take all the servers, and also raid the homes of the employees and take all the electronic equipment.

I've seen it happen for extremely weak reasons before. And they don't call you and ask you to come down to their offices for a nice chat, no, they go in with a force, and swipe the premises clean.

Not saying that it will happen at all, but it's a possibility once you stick your nose out in a criminal case. No matter if those affected by raids the last years were guilty or not, having something like this happening will affect the business and your personal life.

And if you think about Bradley Manning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Manning#Arrest_and_charges) he probably did what he thought was right, but I think he's in prison for life now.

All I'm saying is that standing up for what you believe in is important and good, but also be aware of the possible consequences and think about wether you're willing to face it, should the unlikely hapen to you.

Note that I have no beef with BitInstant, I think they're doing a great job in general, but I don't know if this offer was the most clever choice they've done.

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
September 08, 2012, 10:16:09 PM
Not seeing it. The above claim is that I somewhere stated that "I am involved in every existing bitcoin business". Citation still needed.

I'm not sure if there are any bitcoin businesses not directly involved with me. sounds like it to me. Unless you are full of shit and dont stand behind anything you say.

Trolls will be trolls.
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
September 08, 2012, 09:58:13 PM
Not seeing it. The above claim is that I somewhere stated that "I am involved in every existing bitcoin business". Citation still needed.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
September 08, 2012, 09:53:50 PM
We have nothing to hide, and we should all be extremely proud of Bitcoin. Look where the last year has taken us?

There have been ups and downs, but overall we are alive and kickin!

Let them try and shut us down.

...We are more than a community...WE ARE BITCOIN!
"Eww", no. You're BitInstant, a for-profit corporation. Bitcoin and the community did not attempt a publicity stunt that associates it with blackmail against a Unites States government official, BitInstant did. Don't drag us into that decision by calling "us" a community. Thank you!
September 08, 2012, 09:46:31 PM
According to Matt's own words he is involved in every existing bitcoin company Cheesy

Needs citation.

What Erik says on this forum, even when speaking personally, is in line with BitInstant
Lol. Charlie, that wording was very poorly chosen. Some people might read that as him being a paid shill. I don't think you meant that  Shocked
donator
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
felonious vagrancy, personified
September 08, 2012, 09:40:32 PM
PR fail on multiple level.

It amazes me how little of a sense of humor people have, my goodness.

If this comes as a surprise you obviously shouldn't be authorized to speak to the media on behalf of a business.
Activity: 686
Wat
September 08, 2012, 09:04:10 PM

And yes, it is condescending to Romney and his team. That man deserves no respect whatsoever. I do not feel remorse poking fun at tyrants.

Are you speaking as a professional and responsible spokesman of Bitinstant here... or as a prankster needing to vent?     Wink

Here on the forum, I'm speaking for myself.

You may find, like perhaps Matthew has, that it is a tricky tightrope to walk.  

Ew.

Dont ever compare Matthew with Erik please, thats just disturbing.

What Erik says on this forum, even when speaking personally, is in line with BitInstant, unlike Matt.

I see your point though, but please use a different person next time!

According to Matt's own words he is involved in every existing bitcoin company Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2030
My money; Our Bitcoin.
September 08, 2012, 09:01:57 PM
Comparing Erik with Matthew is like comparing a BMW with a Hyundai.

A Hyundai never gambles it's gasoline away betting that the stop light will turn out to be a disco ball.

Huh? Do you even understand what you just wrote lol

Let's agree that Bruno should be the only one making metaphors here.

Please lets not.  That hyundai image makes more sense than most of Bruno's jokes... if they happen to be jokes and
not paranoid investigations into whether ZT is really the gunman on the grassy knoll... or who knows waht...   Undecided
legendary
My money; Our Bitcoin.
September 08, 2012, 08:57:04 PM

Lol...  but you know I am not comparing them in terms of interests in horsies or playing pirate games or... well I'll stop there...

They are both outspoken with strong personal views while also being front-men of prominent Bitcoin businesses. 

I am just saying good luck with that balancing act and be prepared for all kinds of reactions and perceptions from
a public you would probably rather have as customers than not. 
legendary
Activity: 1078
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
September 08, 2012, 07:59:02 PM

A Hyundai never gambles it's gasoline away betting that the stop light will turn out to be a disco ball.

Huh? Do you even understand what you just wrote lol

Let's agree that Bruno should be the only one making metaphors here.
Activity: 784
Merit: 101
September 08, 2012, 07:42:16 PM

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015
September 08, 2012, 07:30:42 PM

And yes, it is condescending to Romney and his team. That man deserves no respect whatsoever. I do not feel remorse poking fun at tyrants.

Are you speaking as a professional and responsible spokesman of Bitinstant here... or as a prankster needing to vent?     Wink

Ew.

What Erik says on this forum, even when speaking personally, is in line with BitInstant, unlike Matt.

I can vouch on that one.

legendary
September 08, 2012, 07:05:42 PM

Ew.

legendary
My money; Our Bitcoin.
September 08, 2012, 07:03:20 PM

Are you speaking as a professional and responsible spokesman of Bitinstant here... or as a prankster needing to vent?     Wink

As many disclaimers as you may have to post many may still be unable, or reluctant, to see the distinction between your personal views and your business roles.

And it was not a prank, BitInstant's offer is legitimate.

And I'm always professional and responsible... except when I'm not Wink

And I have nothing against unprofessionalism and pranksterism...   it just depends on what you want to accomplish.
Agitate and provoke the establishment etc.,  or run a respectable business catering to the average person within
the established order. 

It seems one may need to choose one or the other. 

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
September 08, 2012, 06:36:24 PM
We are Bitcoin!

Sorry! Couldn't resist.
legendary
September 08, 2012, 06:25:55 PM
I think that all of you are 100% correct.

In all seriousness, we sat in our office for hours debating wether this was a good move or not.

We confided in PR experts, publicists, lawyers, the actual author of the article, our investors, and even my mom!

Many of you agree and many of you disagree with how we played it out.

However, we decided that if the Romney camp would ever contact us, we would want to be the people to introduce them to Bitcoin. We are legally and regulatory compliant on both the state and federal level, follow proper AML procedures and protocols and the poster child of a good Bitcoin business, among many other excellent ones.

We have nothing to hide, and we should all be extremely proud of Bitcoin. Look where the last year has taken us?

There have been ups and downs, but overall we are alive and kickin!

Let them try and shut us down.

...We are more than a community...WE ARE BITCOIN!

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
September 08, 2012, 05:39:50 PM

Are you speaking as a professional and responsible spokesman of Bitinstant here... or as a prankster needing to vent?     Wink

Here on the forum, I'm speaking for myself.  And it was not a prank, BitInstant's offer is legitimate.

And I'm always professional and responsible... except when I'm not Wink
Pages:
Jump to: