Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitmain S5 Replacement Fan - page 2. (Read 4626 times)

Activity: 165
Merit: 100
June 08, 2015, 01:56:12 PM
Yes, open case. Going to try the Delta as push and stock as pull, but I think that will use more power than I wanted and will be louder than stock.

No idea, then Closed case will make them run coolest as that forces air where it needs to be

What's the cheapest/easiest way to close the case up?

Cardboard and Duct tape......

Won't catch fire? Has anyone tried this and seen a decrease in temps?
Activity: 507
Merit: 500
June 08, 2015, 01:47:28 PM
Yes, open case. Going to try the Delta as push and stock as pull, but I think that will use more power than I wanted and will be louder than stock.

No idea, then Closed case will make them run coolest as that forces air where it needs to be

Cardboard and Duct tape......
June 08, 2015, 01:46:47 PM

June 08, 2015, 01:45:48 PM

June 08, 2015, 12:25:05 PM
June 08, 2015, 12:12:24 PM
Push Pull? or stacked?

Just 1 delta as a push. It's specs were close to the stock fan, so I was hoping it would do the job. After about 1h of testing it doesn't look awful, however one S5 is overheating only on one side (the other one is proportionate). Not sure what could be causing it - the fans are identical and were installed exactly the same way.

Can I see Pictures Huh

I had to remove the black screws to get the Delta to fit flush. One unit running 60C/60C, the other 63C/55C, still not sure why it's uneven. The heatsinks got slightly bent while I was taking it in/out, but I got them almost back into the stock position. Not sure if the heatsinks would be causing such a temperature imbalance?

Running open case?
June 08, 2015, 12:11:22 PM
anyone know the size screws needed for the stock fan? gonna add a pull fan to the back. wanted the same screws.

Just take 2 from the front to mount on the back
Activity: 120
June 08, 2015, 12:04:59 PM
anyone know the size screws needed for the stock fan? gonna add a pull fan to the back. wanted the same screws.
June 08, 2015, 11:52:44 AM
Push Pull? or stacked?

Just 1 delta as a push. It's specs were close to the stock fan, so I was hoping it would do the job. After about 1h of testing it doesn't look awful, however one S5 is overheating only on one side (the other one is proportionate). Not sure what could be causing it - the fans are identical and were installed exactly the same way.

Can I see Pictures Huh

I had to remove the black screws to get the Delta to fit flush. One unit running 60C/60C, the other 63C/55C, still not sure why it's uneven. The heatsinks got slightly bent while I was taking it in/out, but I got them almost back into the stock position. Not sure if the heatsinks would be causing such a temperature imbalance?

Activity: 293
Merit: 250
June 08, 2015, 11:38:59 AM
I use this:  two pieces per S5
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=78&lng=en

Size      120x120x25 mm
Connector      4-pin PWM
Bearing      SSO2
Blade Geometry      Heptaperf™
Frame Technology      FocusedFlow™
Rotational Speed (+/- 10%)      2000 RPM
Min. Rotational Speed (PWM, +/-20%)      450 RPM
Airflow      121,8 m³/h
Acoustical Noise      29,7 dB(A)
Static Pressure      3,94 mm H2O
Max. Input Power      1,2 W
Max. Input Current      0,1 A
Voltage      12 V
MTBF      > 150.000 h
Scope of Delivery      
Fan
4 Fan Screws
Warranty      6 years
Ingress Protection      IP52
Material      Fibre-glass reinforced polyamide
Motor type      Three-phase

But if you want more cool so I recommend this already but the noise level is insufferable:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=80&lng=en&set=1

Size      120x120x25 mm
Connector      4-pin PWM
Bearing      SSO2
Rotational Speed (+/- 10%)      3000 RPM
Min. Rotational Speed (PWM, +/-20%)      750 RPM
Airflow      186,7 m³/h
Acoustical Noise      43,5 dB(A)
Static Pressure      7,63 mm H2O
Max. Input Power      3,6 W
Max. Input Current      0,3 A
Voltage      12 V
MTBF      > 150.000 h
Scope of Delivery      
Fan
4 Fan Screws
Warranty      6 years

These fans are expensive but indestructible.
Corsair example, I broke when I accidentally tapped a finger in the propeller.
when I have tapped into Noctua, much it hurts and fans held as of stone.

What temp's are you seeing with those fans?

55 degrees Celsius in the room where it is 22 degrees or less.
but even if they increased the room temperature at 30 is really not more than 65 on S5.
June 08, 2015, 11:01:07 AM
Push Pull? or stacked?

Can I see Pictures Huh
June 08, 2015, 10:35:23 AM

Size      120x120x25 mm
Connector      4-pin PWM
Bearing      SSO2
Airflow      121,8 m³/h
Voltage      12 V
MTBF      > 150.000 h
Scope of Delivery      
Fan
4 Fan Screws
Warranty      6 years

But if you want more cool so I recommend this already but the noise level is insufferable:

Size      120x120x25 mm
Connector      4-pin PWM
Bearing      SSO2
Airflow      186,7 m³/h
Voltage      12 V
MTBF      > 150.000 h
Scope of Delivery      
Fan
4 Fan Screws
Warranty      6 years

What temp's are you seeing with those fans?
Activity: 293
Merit: 250
June 08, 2015, 10:03:07 AM

Size      120x120x25 mm
Connector      4-pin PWM
Bearing      SSO2
Airflow      121,8 m³/h
Voltage      12 V
MTBF      > 150.000 h
Scope of Delivery      
Fan
4 Fan Screws
Warranty      6 years

Size      120x120x25 mm
Connector      4-pin PWM
Bearing      SSO2
Airflow      186,7 m³/h
Voltage      12 V
MTBF      > 150.000 h
Scope of Delivery      
Fan
4 Fan Screws
Warranty      6 years

June 08, 2015, 09:42:12 AM
Push Pull? or stacked?

June 08, 2015, 09:09:27 AM
Push Pull? or stacked?
June 08, 2015, 08:58:03 AM
From a previous discussion, this was said to be the stock fan specs:

Dimension: 120*120*38mm
Voltage: 12V
Start voltage: ≧8V (Power ON/OFF)
Power consumption: 1600RPM 1.68W / 4000RPM 25.8W
Rated current: DutyCycle 100% @ 2.15A
Air Flow: 4000RPM @ 178.3CFM (Max be 239CFM)
Noise: 4000RPM @ 56.7 dB-A (Measured in a Non-EchoChamber)
Life Expectancy: 40,000 hrs @ 25℃  (May degrade faster at higher temperature)
Connector: 2510-4P

Also, I recently tried a dual 60CFM fan setup (one for push, one for pull), but it was clearly not powerful enough - temps were at 70C within a few minutes. This is what I used:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553008

I just ordered the following Delta and am hoping I can use it alone for just push:

Delta Electronics AFB1212SHE 120x120x38mm Cooling Fan, 151.85 CFM, 58 dBA, 3700 RPM, 1.06 AMP, PWM 4-pin connector.

I have the miners running in a temp controlled room with proper ventilation, which helps the temp's, but I'm still worried if the Delta might not be enough as 2x 60CFM was clearly not even close.

@amelen

That is a great find!  Thank you.  Please let me know what the results are!!!!  Here's the fan on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y1HLA8/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004Y1HLA8&linkCode=as2&tag=120mm-fans-20&linkId=5HKYNDGQB3P4D62Z

Just replaced the stock fans with the Delta's from the amazon link. A few notes:

- It's 4pin, but you still need to remove a piece on the connector to get it to fit in.
- For some reason, I can't get them to be flush against the metal of the S5 like the stock fans. There is always a hair-thin space.
- They are still pretty loud, but I'd say about 20-25% quieter than the stock fans. At full RPM, I'm seeing about 60dba, vs 75dba on the stock fans.
- They aren't cooling as well as the stock fans, but it might be acceptable. At stock frequencies, with 22C ambient, I'm getting ~61C on the Delta and was getting ~56C on the stock fan.
Activity: 40
Merit: 0
June 08, 2015, 06:18:47 AM
Vorta, did you do any fan mods?@

Yes, I have (ended up doing this). 2x Scythe Ultra Kaze (push-pull) has proven to be the best in airflow vs. sound ratio. You'll also be able to overclock your miner.

Push-pull combination will always work better than any push-only configuration on the S5 because of a lot of air escaping the heatsink before reaching it's end. I would recommend not buying Deltas as they are very loud. I would also not recommend overclocking the miner while using only one fan. Unless you have an infrared thermometer to monitor the temperatures of chips in the back of the miner ensuring they don't go over 90°C as you're testing the frequencies.
Sounds as though BitMain should have put the thermostat at the back of the unit because those chips get so much hotter.

or smartly... run the fan from the back to the front Smiley

Wouldn't doing that just make the other end of chips run higher? Whichever end is further from the fan will just run hotter, no?

True, the thermometer is in the middle of the hashboard so whichever end the fan is on you get the same readout, but the chips next to the fan are colder than the readout, and chips on the back side are quite a bit hotter. The best solution would've been if there were 3 thermometers per hash board, one at each end and one in the middle.
June 07, 2015, 05:55:57 PM

Yes, I have (ended up doing this). 2x Scythe Ultra Kaze (push-pull) has proven to be the best in airflow vs. sound ratio. You'll also be able to overclock your miner.

Push-pull combination will always work better than any push-only configuration on the S5 because of a lot of air escaping the heatsink before reaching it's end. I would recommend not buying Deltas as they are very loud. I would also not recommend overclocking the miner while using only one fan. Unless you have an infrared thermometer to monitor the temperatures of chips in the back of the miner ensuring they don't go over 90°C as you're testing the frequencies.
Sounds as though BitMain should have put the thermostat at the back of the unit because those chips get so much hotter.

Wouldn't doing that just make the other end of chips run higher? Whichever end is further from the fan will just run hotter, no?
June 07, 2015, 10:14:49 AM

Activity: 21
Merit: 0
June 07, 2015, 09:55:36 AM

Pages:
Jump to: