Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitmit is Closing?? - page 4. (Read 22576 times)

legendary
Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000
October 20, 2012, 01:56:49 PM
Sadly this is true.. If someone is interested in buying the site feel free to contact us ([email protected])

Any details on what new regulations are motivating the closure, pretty please?

Financial supervision requires special licences for businesses which holds customer funds

Have you guys checked out gov.hk on MSO?

From the FAQ :

What is the definition of a Money Service Operator (“MSO”)?
A person who or an institution which operates a money changing service or a remittance service is a Money Service Operator.

Do this apply for a ecommerce site like Bitmit ?

Have you read the thread? They say the problems arise from them keeping their users funds for escrow purposes. For me that is equivalent to a "remittance service", send money from point A to point B securely. Off course that operation is not instant, for escrow purposes, but it doesn't mean to be a whole new concept overall.

Yes, I read the whole thread. You say that "escrow service" and "remittance service" are equivalent.
Any backup for that, or just saying ? I can also say that a car seller is a "remittance service".

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
October 20, 2012, 01:51:53 PM
Sadly this is true.. If someone is interested in buying the site feel free to contact us ([email protected])

Financial supervision requires special licences for businesses which holds customer funds

From the FAQ :

A person who or an institution which operates a money changing service or a remittance service is a Money Service Operator.

Have you read the thread? They say the problems arise from them keeping their users funds for escrow purposes. For me that is equivalent to a "remittance service", send money from point A to point B securely. Off course that operation is not instant, for escrow purposes, but it doesn't mean to be a whole new concept overall.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
October 20, 2012, 01:49:10 PM

somebody now compile a list of the competing sites

then we should examine the benefits and detriments of each design
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
October 20, 2012, 01:09:28 PM

From the FAQ :

The escrow part does.
BCB
vip
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
BCJ
October 20, 2012, 12:45:38 PM
What would you like to see replace Bitmit?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1285951
legendary
Activity: 1099
October 20, 2012, 12:21:37 PM

From the FAQ :

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
October 20, 2012, 10:57:08 AM

Activity: 197
Merit: 100
October 20, 2012, 10:09:20 AM
Bitmit should apply for a licence. How much could it cost? Surely not so much. Many businesses like real estate agents, take customer deposits.
Activity: 401
Merit: 252
October 20, 2012, 09:25:02 AM
Forced escrow was a site-killer for me on Bitmit. When you already run an Amazon marketplace shop and get paid when you buy/confirm shipping, any escrow hold length more than that is an insult, especially when you aren't a bloody criminal, rather a terrible salesman who is honest about what he sells.

You can deactivate it once you have sold some items.

However,  we may can continue with the help of another partner.
Activity: 910
Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com
October 20, 2012, 08:58:18 AM
Please sell the site, hell I'll even make an offer myself if need be.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
October 20, 2012, 08:10:08 AM
Re; Escrow:

At the conference there was a pretty great talk about Scripting in the Bitcoin protocol and how things like Escrow can be embedded into the blockchain, eliminating in many instances the need for 3rd parties. I think it would be nice to see many of the currently disabled (but already existing) scripting features turned on so people can start to think of an even MORE Satoshi Future.
Activity: 991
Merit: 1011
October 20, 2012, 07:29:03 AM
overbid you. very leet bid btw  Wink

edit btw: did anyone notice its with escrow? i mean, how is that gonna work?  deadlock anyone?Grin

Are you THE fornit of RoidRechner fame?

two minutes ago,i didnt even know what roidrechner was. but since the name is from a stephen king short story it is not that unlikely to have another one out there  Smiley

ontopic:
i dont think bitmit will go away. its already picking up pace and will certainly find a buyer that can see the potential and has the resources to guarantee a smooth transition to another legislation. germany is really not the country for financial experiments. way too regulated.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
October 20, 2012, 06:37:53 AM
Forced escrow was a site-killer for me on Bitmit. When you already run an Amazon marketplace shop and get paid when you buy/confirm shipping, any escrow hold length more than that is an insult, especially when you aren't a bloody criminal, rather a terrible salesman who is honest about what he sells.

Escrow should be something that's lifted once you meet certain seller performance requirements. Or at least a 50/50 thing (upfront/on delivery).
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
October 20, 2012, 06:23:50 AM
overbid you. very leet bid btw  Wink

edit btw: did anyone notice its with escrow? i mean, how is that gonna work?  deadlock anyone?Grin

Are you THE fornit of RoidRechner fame?
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
October 20, 2012, 06:00:10 AM
Id like to know what the claim of illegality actually is.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
October 20, 2012, 05:24:44 AM
bitmit seemed a bit amateurish to me since the start anyway. There are more professional sites like coinpost.com, I think even if bitmit dies, it'd be a non-event, another site will take over.

I agree, very professional with 23 items listed..

Not even 23. There are some duplicates across different categories, and all but one of the posts are mine. There could be well over 100 if I listed all my stuff for sale, but not everything can be shipped in USPS Priority flat rate boxes, nor the ad entry be as easy as craigslist. LOL

legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001
October 20, 2012, 02:45:36 AM
legendary
Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014
October 20, 2012, 02:31:35 AM
Perhaps $1500 or 125 btc is some sort of hard-coded limit. PM tosaki.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
October 20, 2012, 02:13:40 AM
legendary
Activity: 938
October 20, 2012, 02:13:36 AM
can't they just use tor or something

This put them of law anyway: incomes have to be declared and so on. There are only 3 ways IMHO: move away to a country where is legal run this kind of site, sell it or scorporate the unlaw part of the site and move it to another country.
Pages:
Jump to: