Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitmit is Closing?? - page 5. (Read 22576 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
October 20, 2012, 01:17:56 AM
Damned laws   Angry
I'm looking after buying it, but Italian law is even worse: If I run a site like bitmit in Italy I would be forced to have no other income from different kind of work than intermediation. If is a site that generate 500-1000 BTC/month of income I can maybe try it, but for 40-50BTC/month is not worth it
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
October 20, 2012, 01:04:11 AM
bummer.  I like bitmit.net

But you know, this could be run lawfully from the US.  The secret is to keep it all outside the Federal Reserve system.  That's how THEY get jurisdiction to control you in the first place - if you endorse private credit of the Federal Reserve then you're subject to the terms of their (hidden) agreement.
legendary
Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014
October 20, 2012, 12:19:52 AM
bitmit seemed a bit amateurish to me since the start anyway. There are more professional sites like coinpost.com, I think even if bitmit dies, it'd be a non-event, another site will take over.

I agree, very professional with 23 items listed..
Choose 23 things, and do them well. /sorry couldn't help it....this really shouldn't be a pissing contest but I'm sure valuable criticisms of all platforms can be pointed out.
Activity: 179
Merit: 100
October 20, 2012, 12:14:17 AM
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
October 19, 2012, 11:07:38 PM
bitmit seemed a bit amateurish to me since the start anyway. There are more professional sites like coinpost.com, I think even if bitmit dies, it'd be a non-event, another site will take over.
Activity: 482
Merit: 502
October 19, 2012, 10:16:03 PM
If Bitmit dies, the bit of me dies too. I am considering joining the bid party.

Tip for bitcoin business owners #1 : Save the messages like "Sorry, we're closing. Goodby and thanks for all the fish!" as a last possible choice. Selling the company is actually best way to do it without harming the customers and our small economy as well. Not even mentioning that after GLBSE closing, this message nearly caused me a heart attack. Now I'm going to kitchen, make myself some hot tea and try to calm down.
donator
Activity: 213
Merit: 100
October 19, 2012, 09:35:43 PM
Forget legal council. Laws change on a whim if you haven't noticed. Voluntary trade is under attack. We need to quit asking for permission to do business. We can do that on Tor.
I think Tormail is a good example to follow. They have their main servers hidden somewhere, and the public-facing website at tormail.org is a vps that's running nothing more than a Tor node and a copy of socat.

+1. This is also now basically the architecture that The Pirate Bay uses:

"All communication with users goes through TPB's load balancer, which is a disk-less server with all the configuration in RAM. The load balancer is not in the same country as the transit-router or the cloud servers," The Pirate Bay told us.

"The communication between the load balancer and the virtual servers is encrypted. So even if a cloud provider found out they're running TPB, they can't look at the content of user traffic or user's IP-addresses.” [...]

The worst case scenario is that The Pirate Bay loses both its transit router and its load balancer. All the important data is backed up externally on VMs that can be re-installed at cloud hosting providers anywhere in the world.

"If the police decide to raid us again there are no servers to take, just a transit router. If they follow the trail to the next country and find the load balancer, there is just a disk-less server there. In case they find out where the cloud provider is, all they can get are encrypted disk-images," The Pirate Bay says.

"They have to be quick about it too, if the servers have been out of communication with the load balancer for 8 hours they automatically shut down. When the servers are booted up, access is only granted to those who have the encryption password," they add.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
October 19, 2012, 09:30:27 PM
Forget legal council. Laws change on a whim if you haven't noticed. Voluntary trade is under attack. We need to quit asking for permission to do business. We can do that on Tor.
I think Tormail is a good example to follow. They have their main servers hidden somewhere, and the public-facing website at tormail.org is a vps that's running nothing more than a Tor node and a copy of socat.
Activity: 675
Merit: 502
October 19, 2012, 09:17:31 PM
I wish I had more to contribute, but I just want to chip in another voice saying that Bitmit is invaluable to the Bitcoin community and I hope a good businessperson takes over.

I'd buy stock in it if glbse was still running. . .
Activity: 614
Merit: 500
October 19, 2012, 08:18:06 PM
Hosting a for-sale site is probably okay, but an escrow service that is holding other people's money could give rise to legal liability in a number of countries.

I hope the potential buyers consider this carefully, and discuss it with legal counsel.

Activity: 746
Merit: 253
October 19, 2012, 08:07:38 PM
Hosting a for-sale site is probably okay, but an escrow service that is holding other people's money could give rise to legal liability in a number of countries.

I hope the potential buyers consider this carefully, and discuss it with legal counsel.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.
October 19, 2012, 08:04:49 PM
Let this be a lesson to everybody:

If you're going to start a new Bitcoin business, do it on Tor and keep your identity anonymous. Governments all around the world are in the process of locking down the internet. Don't start a huge business on the clearnet, which will just come under attack once it starts to get successful.

I agree this would be a good idea, considering the closing of GLBSE, etc.
Activity: 614
October 19, 2012, 07:43:29 PM
Let this be a lesson to everybody:

If you're going to start a new Bitcoin business, do it on Tor and keep your identity anonymous. Governments all around the world are in the process of locking down the internet. Don't start a huge business on the clearnet, which will just come under attack once it starts to get successful.
Activity: 490
October 19, 2012, 07:31:57 PM
Well, at the moment I seem to have the highest bid at 100 BTC. (Which is ludicrously low, all things considered.)

I agree it's a huge discount over what tosaki and all the users who have done listings have put into the site. If I weren't running CoinDL, I'd bid more but it's early yet...the auction's been up for <2 hours?

GoGo weex !

Activity: 991
Merit: 1011
October 19, 2012, 07:24:20 PM
overbid you. very leet bid btw  Wink

edit btw: did anyone notice its with escrow? i mean, how is that gonna work?  deadlock anyone?Grin
legendary
Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014
October 19, 2012, 07:07:03 PM
Well, at the moment I seem to have the highest bid at 100 BTC. (Which is ludicrously low, all things considered.)

I agree it's a huge discount over what tosaki and all the users who have done listings have put into the site. If I weren't running CoinDL, I'd bid more but it's early yet...the auction's been up for <2 hours?
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
October 19, 2012, 07:03:46 PM
Bitmit's address:

Flat B20/F, Infotech Center No.21 Hung To Road Kwun Tong, Kowloon Hong Kong
https://www.bitmit.net/en/info/contact

Law and jurisdiction
These terms of service will be governed by and construed in accordance with Hong Kong law, and any disputes relating to these terms of service will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Hong Kong.
https://www.bitmit.net/en/tos/
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029
October 19, 2012, 06:46:53 PM
Bitmit is part of my life. I'm logged-in there every morning/day/night. Sales through Bitmit are around 80% of all my sales of my Steam games. I think someone will buy it and all will be fine... must be fine! Bitmit have amazing BTCIG potenetial. I just wanna thanks for admin for his amazing friendly support. But I guess, we'll meet all together on Bitmit new edition. :-)

I noticed you on there. You do a large amount of successful sales through bitmit. Heres to hoping it stays up.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029
October 19, 2012, 06:45:42 PM
Definitely looks like there is a lot of interest based on all the bids so far. This is a good sign.

Bitmit is The Bitcoin marketplace. At least this side of the law.  Wink
Bitmit shall not, must not, will not be allowed to die. Or have we lost all faith in this project already?

Gentlemen, I believe this is the part in which we rise to the occasion.

Love it. Very well said. I agree bitmit is a vital project. I am doing my part to add to the bitcoin marketplace with All Things Luxury, but my site is more of a niche for jewelry and gifts. Bitmit IS the ebay of bitcoin. A stable trading post I believe is a must for everyday users.

Really happy that so many people are willing to step up and take over the project.
legendary
Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006
October 19, 2012, 06:22:28 PM
Definitely looks like there is a lot of interest based on all the bids so far. This is a good sign.

Bitmit is The Bitcoin marketplace. At least this side of the law.
Bitmit shall not, must not, will not be allowed to die. Or have we lost all faith in this project already?

Gentlemen, I believe this is the part in which we rise to the occasion.
Pages:
Jump to: