Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitstamp BLOCKs withdrawals to verified users - page 5. (Read 11656 times)

Activity: 129
Merit: 100
No no, I agree banks can freeze accounts.
But we are talking about a really grey company - Bitstamp.
* They are registered in UK but their bank is in Slovenia.
* They are NOT A BANK.
* No AML or KYC rules for businesses require what they ask for.

No let me explain this, I'm running a EU business and I know what I'm talking about. NO NON BANKING COMPANY ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD IS ALLOWED TO TAKE DEPOSITS. Even god damn Seychelles do not allow this (had an offshore). So either this is going through their books as sale/return of a product (that's what my local law is saying, but they will take VAT because of this) or something else.

Nowhere can you find any data on their registration. Nothing else. They are AS shady as BTC-E.
Now I have no problem with btc-e - there must be a free market like silkroad - and they must remain silent.
I have a problem with people claiming Bitstamp is better than Gox or Btc-e, because they are the same.

I really hope this problem will resolve and I receive my funds. I will update this topic but for now 5 hours passed without any answer from Bitstamp which is concerning.
it takes them usually 24h or more to respond, sometimes up to 2-3 days
Activity: 224
Professional anarchist

I think you're confused on what facts are.

Anything independent and reliable? Or just your say so?
Activity: 980
Merit: 256
Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain
What about all the trades on localbitcoins where I don't give a name? is that also money laundering and the police are just waiting to arrest me?

You obviously didn't read the news about the guys in Miami who were arrested for buying/selling Bitcoins on LocalBitcoins.

Like I said, the laws are on the books- it's up to governments to decide how and when they feel like enforcing them.

That said- there is some sort of lower limit you have to meet before the government considers what you are doing a crime. That said, there is also a law about deliberately staying below the lower limit specifically not to hit that lower limit. So, play nice.

I'm not in Florida, so what the hell does Florida have to do with me?

Those idiots made themselves party to a criminal conspiracy by being utterly retarded, entrapment is legal in the land of the free. It isn't here.

Activity: 6
I've already answered 6 hours ago and no reply
Activity: 364
Merit: 257
I've sent a freezer, 3 pans, one Iphone 5 and two Magic the Gathering packs to Amazon's Warehouse deals. I decided later i did not want to trade it anymore,  before they could send it back to me they sent me the following questions:

We received your withdrawal request. As your withdrawal request met some of our volume and frequency thresholds, we will have to kindly ask you to help us better understand the nature of your relationship with Amazon Warehouse deals. In order to do so, we require that an additional KYC (know your customer) procedure is completed before we can proceed with the processing of your transfer.

We kindly ask you to send us a high resolution image double page of your international passport and answer the following KYC questionnaire:

1. How did you learn about Warehouse Deals?
2. The purpose of trading on Warehouse deals?
3. What is the origin of the shipped items? If manufacturing, please specify your industrial machinery specifications and submit a receipt or an invoice for your manufacturing equipment.
4. What are your future plans and activities planned on our exchange?
5. Do you plan more withdrawals in the future?
6. Which bank are you using? Please provide the complete address and SWIFT code.

We kindly ask you to submit your answers and documents in a reply to this ticket.

Anna Lars
Amazon Warehouse Deals
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
(governments) aren't obligated to enforce every law on the book, they are usually content just HAVING the law on the book

This is simply evil and, in my personal opinion, flagrantly immoral.  In my book it completely undermines a government's legitimacy.

The first country to make "the state failed to enforce it uniformly" a valid defense against charges of breaking a law will win at least a few wealthy immigrants happy to pay lots of tax.  Without "failure to enforce" as a defense, the legislature has no incentive to limit the scope of the law.

If the public prosecutor's budget exceeds the public defender's budget, the court is illegitimate.

It's probably less immoral then hiring an army of police to enforce both laws against murder and spitting on the sidewalk at the same time. They enforce what they think is worth while enforcing. Things that are genuinely dangerous for society and things that have nice big fat monetary penalties that the legal system gets to keep, tend to be high on the list of enforced laws.

Just how it goes. Immoral or not.
donator
Merit: 1004
felonious vagrancy, personified
If you don't have anything to hide- then you will be fine. If you do have something to hide- they have rightfully suspected you of it. So......

First they came for the people with nothing to hide.  Then,
legendary
What about all the trades on localbitcoins where I don't give a name? is that also money laundering and the police are just waiting to arrest me?

You obviously didn't read the news about the guys in Miami who were arrested for buying/selling Bitcoins on LocalBitcoins.

http://www.coindesk.com/localbitcoins-users-criminal-charges-florida/

Like I said, the laws are on the books- it's up to governments to decide how and when they feel like enforcing them.

That said- there is some sort of lower limit you have to meet before the government considers what you are doing a crime. That said, there is also a law about deliberately staying below the lower limit specifically not to hit that lower limit. So, play nice.
legendary
No no, I agree banks can freeze accounts.
But we are talking about a really grey company - Bitstamp.
* They are registered in UK but their bank is in Slovenia.
* They are NOT A BANK.
* No AML or KYC rules for businesses require what they ask for.

No let me explain this, I'm running a EU business and I know what I'm talking about. NO NON BANKING COMPANY ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD IS ALLOWED TO TAKE DEPOSITS. Even god damn Seychelles do not allow this (had an offshore). So either this is going through their books as sale/return of a product (that's what my local law is saying, but they will take VAT because of this) or something else.

Nowhere can you find any data on their registration. Nothing else. They are AS shady as BTC-E.
Now I have no problem with btc-e - there must be a free market like silkroad - and they must remain silent.
I have a problem with people claiming Bitstamp is better than Gox or Btc-e, because they are the same.

I really hope this problem will resolve and I receive my funds. I will update this topic but for now 5 hours passed without any answer from Bitstamp which is concerning.

Yes but are you running a money services business? Or an Exchange business? Even if what they were doing was illegal, (which I highly doubt) you would still need to go to court to settle the issue. In this case, bitstamp needs only say they were being cautious and any judge on earth will probably agree with them that withholding your money was the right thing to do. Remember, if they SUSPECT maybe there is a chance you're committing a crime, their lawyers can advise them to do all sorts of things in order to cover their own asses.

As for how "shady" they are. They list their address. Go visit if it's a problem for you. They aren't hiding. They go to all the conferences, and give interviews, etc... I understand you're upset, but why don't you just answer their questions? If you don't have anything to hide- then you will be fine. If you do have something to hide- they have rightfully suspected you of it. So......
donator
(governments) aren't obligated to enforce every law on the book, they are usually content just HAVING the law on the book

This is simply evil and, in my personal opinion, flagrantly immoral.  In my book it completely undermines a government's legitimacy.

The first country to make "the state failed to enforce it uniformly" a valid defense against charges of breaking a law will win at least a few wealthy immigrants happy to pay lots of tax.  Without "failure to enforce" as a defense, the legislature has no incentive to limit the scope of the law.

If the public prosecutor's budget exceeds the public defender's budget, the court is illegitimate.

If private citizens cannot file for criminal indictment (at their own expense), the court is illegitimate.
Remember mates, BTC is not money.

I think actually every country- at least every country with a modern functioning financial system, which includes the UK or Slovenia, wherever they are located.

Replace Bitcoin with "Financial instrument" and I think that should give you an idea of what you've done. Maybe governments didn't CARE about bitcoin when it was worth a few dollars each, but they aren't obligated to enforce every law on the book, they are usually content just HAVING the law on the book, and now that Bitcoin is worth real money- I think every modern country in the world would view what you've done as money laundering.

So yeah, you're a criminal in the eye's of the financial regulators. Whether or not they go after you is up to them and whether or not they can find you. They CAN however find Bitstamp, so they have prudently seized your funds to play nice with the police if they ever show up. That said- technically unless you have a government ID with your 'Fake Name' you're pretty much screwed even if weren't illegal (which it most certainly is). If you registered as "Buttlick McBalls" Bitstamp is well within it's rights to ask for your government ID with said name on it.  From bitstamps point of view (not considering the criminal element), until Mr McBalls shows up, that money can very nicely pad their 'reserves' for a rainy day.

Good luck.

lol bollocks.

At no point whilst I was trading on this particular account was bitcoin classed as a financial instrument anywhere in the world.

You might as well claim that selling stamps on eBay is money laundering
donator
Bitstamp is #1 for using AML-KYC to screw people out of their money.

Based on what?

facts.
legendary

He's right though and depending how much money you had on the exchange, you might have committed a financial crime by lying about your identity. Using a fake name and withdrawing/depositing money under it, IS money laundering, and what you have done, a crime.

Either way, you've essentially forfeited your money in the near-term.

I withdrew it to accounts with no name on.

So I bought/sold btc in a fake name, and deposited them to accounts with no name.

In what country is using a fake name to sell bitcoins illegal?

What law was broken by registering on a slovenian site with a fake name?

I think actually every country- at least every country with a modern functioning financial system, which includes the UK or Slovenia, wherever they are located.

Replace Bitcoin with "Financial instrument" and I think that should give you an idea of what you've done. Maybe governments didn't CARE about bitcoin when it was worth a few dollars each, but they aren't obligated to enforce every law on the book, they are usually content just HAVING the law on the book, and now that Bitcoin is worth real money- I think every modern country in the world would view what you've done as money laundering.

I withdrew it to accounts with no name on.

So I bought/sold btc in a fake name, and deposited them to accounts with no name.

So yeah, you're a criminal in the eye's of the financial regulators. Whether or not they go after you is up to them and whether or not they can find you. They CAN however find Bitstamp, so they have prudently seized your funds to play nice with the police if they ever show up. That said- technically unless you have a government ID with your 'Fake Name' you're pretty much screwed even if weren't illegal (which it most certainly is). If you registered as "Buttlick McBalls" Bitstamp is well within it's rights to ask for your government ID with said name on it.  From bitstamps point of view (not considering the criminal element), until Mr McBalls shows up, that money can very nicely pad their 'reserves' for a rainy day.

Good luck.
I think the discussion is getting pointless i believe. Fact is , be they right or wrong on what they are doing, they are doing just like Gox. Bitstamp should give full and proven explanation about that to get any doubts out of the way. The community should not accept any Gox behaviour patterns anywhere, or the same shit may happen again.

They published on this:

https://www.bitstamp.net/article/Statement-by-Bitstamp-regarding-MtGox-insolv/

I mean, they have to prove their withdrawal blocks(specially those of BTC, as it is not a currency) and funny questions are legit and an exigence of the law. They must do it, we can't just go thru's good faith anymore.
Professional anarchist
Bitstamp is #1 for using AML-KYC to screw people out of their money.

Based on what?

We have people on here saying they set up accounts with fake names then complaining at how they are treated.
Professional anarchist
I think the discussion is getting pointless i believe. Fact is , be they right or wrong on what they are doing, they are doing just like Gox. Bitstamp should give full and proven explanation about that to get any doubts out of the way. The community should not accept any Gox behaviour patterns anywhere, or the same shit may happen again.

They published on this:

https://www.bitstamp.net/article/Statement-by-Bitstamp-regarding-MtGox-insolv/
Professional anarchist

Them be fightin' words.

Everyone who saw Gox have their bank/Dwolla accounts frozen needs their head looking at if they didn't figure out they were insolvent.

Being a company doesn't make them trustworthy - how they conduct their business is what makes them trustworthy (or not).

They are registered as a company and pay tax in the UK - at least they will. Their accounts are due at the end of April.

They have an EU bank account, which means the beneficial owners have have to satisfy the AML and KYC criteria of an EU bank.

Are they better of Gox? Of course. But only because of how they conduct themselves. I don't have enough experience of BTC-E.

I have an a company and bank account in the Seychelles - even they have to saitsfy AML and KYC laws. Otherwise they don't get to play with the big countries.
legendary
Activity: 1623
Merit: 1608

It just wont ever happen to me or anyone, banks are not allowed to do that, only authorities can.

Banks do it all the time.

I have accounts with 3 different banks in the UK alone so that when one gets frozen I can use another.

Plus prepaid cards.

Anyone who travels a lot, if you don't constantly inform your bank where you will be on what days...will get their accounts frozen

Those are measures to protect you, yes, you have to inform them that you are using your cards and accounts overseas so they know it is you. They won't and they can't frozen because they think you may be somthing like a criminal or whatever.

Not only can banks reject a transfer if they feel you are a criminal. Merchants receive a gift from payment processors if they withhold a blacklisted credit card.
Pages:
Jump to: