Pages:
Author

Topic: BitStamp - hacked and down - page 3. (Read 9328 times)

Activity: 152
Merit: 100
January 10, 2015, 02:16:04 PM
I would like it if they would sign a cold wallet and put the address on bitstamp.net saying it's the customers funds.

Well, it's pretty much guaranteed at this point that they still control this cold wallet address.

But it seems their hot wallet has run dry and is not getting refilled in a timely manner, which bothers me.

Edit: Hot wallet getting refilled with 5000 coins just now.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 500
January 10, 2015, 02:03:38 PM
The Bitcoin they have, it is not the Bitstamp's asset. The funds belongs to their clients.

There will be massive withdrawals. You have to be crazy to keep your funds in Bistamp at least for a while(2-3 months). Why? I am pretty sure they did not fix any bug. They just changed the servers. Smiley

It is impossible(and this can be certified by any programmer) to identify a hack in a financial platform in 3-4 days, to fix it and then to setup a new server and so on..

You don't know how they covered the loss. And for the hack it really depends on what happened, it may be easy to identify... Again we need more information. One thing is certain, I've never seen a exchange handling a hack that well.

If what they said is true and there is nothing more hidden, they handled it very well and bitstamp seems very safe. But it's a new company and the fact they lost 19 000 BTC is not a good news about their systems and security. There must be a way to almost guarantee you won't loose 19 000 BTC.

I would like it if they would sign a cold wallet and put the address on bitstamp.net saying it's the customers funds.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
January 10, 2015, 12:44:37 PM
They just changed the servers.

You are wrong. They changed their hot wallet to use multi-sig. Everyone withdrawing can see this and it has already been reported multiple times.

The bug was/IS in their platform. It doesn't matter how many signatures they are using. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1059
January 10, 2015, 12:32:56 PM
You don't know how they covered the loss.

They have pulled 10,000 from their cold wallet:

https://blockchain.info/address/1JoktQJhCzuCQkt3GnQ8Xddcq4mUgNyXEa

On the face of it seems to be enough at the moment. I can't see any bank run.
Activity: 778
Merit: 531
January 10, 2015, 12:26:11 PM
They just changed the servers.

You are wrong. They changed their hot wallet to use multi-sig. Everyone withdrawing can see this and it has already been reported multiple times.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
January 10, 2015, 12:21:33 PM
The Bitcoin they have, it is not the Bitstamp's asset. The funds belongs to their clients.

There will be massive withdrawals. You have to be crazy to keep your funds in Bistamp at least for a while(2-3 months). Why? I am pretty sure they did not fix any bug. They just changed the servers. Smiley

It is impossible(and this can be certified by any programmer) to identify a hack in a financial platform in 3-4 days, to fix it and then to setup a new server and so on..

You don't know how they covered the loss. And for the hack it really depends on what happened, it may be easy to identify... Again we need more information. One thing is certain, I've never seen a exchange handling a hack that well.
legendary
January 10, 2015, 11:04:45 AM

January 10, 2015, 10:18:41 AM
yeah, they did't disappoint, true service Wink

They were probably "just" hacked of 19 000 BTC and they held enough bitcoins in cold storage.
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
January 09, 2015, 06:52:49 PM
reports are the withdrawals are coming through
Activity: 350
January 09, 2015, 06:50:31 PM
They are open for business now Smiley

Unfortunately I don't have my 2FA device on me now so I can't check if withdrawals are possible.
January 09, 2015, 10:30:44 AM
It is frightening to see Bistamp is still inaccessible but it is positive that they take all the time to test their systems.
They are not building back everything despite what the CEO said on twitter because it couldn't be safe to rebuild and code everything in a few days.
legendary
January 08, 2015, 09:13:06 PM
All the chinesse exchangers are making a lot of fake transactions. When I am saying fake, it means 1:10.
if they report 1000 transactions that means 100.

To be honest. We don't know.

But if that were true what you say, then Bitcoin would strongly overvalued at the moment. I do not pay over 200$ for an mostly fake traded asset. How crazy is this?

But probably you are right and maybe all is fake in China. Maybe there are only living a few people and the Chinese wall is only a few meters long.

Do you have ever seen a Chinese bubble?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3XfpYxHKCo

Bitcoin is a thousand times smaller. This is only a bubble of many. I don't believe that the exchanges in China need to fake anything. But to be honest: I don't know and it is a useless discussion.
In the Western world there are not many exchange driven transactions left. And to be honest again: I'm sure.

it's not me who is saying that the chinesse exchangers are faking the data but the Bitcoin's propaganda, Coindesk.

http://www.coindesk.com/reality-chinese-trading-volumes/

Yes, the Bitcoin price is manipulated. is this the first time when you are reading about that? Smiley
legendary
January 08, 2015, 07:00:56 PM
All the chinesse exchangers are making a lot of fake transactions. When I am saying fake, it means 1:10.

To be honest. We don't know.

But if that were true what you say, then Bitcoin would strongly overvalued at the moment. I do not pay over 200$ for an mostly fake traded asset. How crazy is this?

But probably you are right and maybe all is fake in China. Maybe there are only living a few people and the Chinese wall is only a few meters long.

Do you have ever seen a Chinese bubble?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3XfpYxHKCo

Bitcoin is a thousand times smaller. This is only a bubble of many. I don't believe that the exchanges in China need to fake anything. But to be honest: I don't know and it is a useless discussion.
In the Western world there are not many exchange driven transactions left. And to be honest again: I'm sure.
legendary
January 08, 2015, 06:40:42 PM
Bitstamp going down like this is a huge red flag for me. I will not be using Bitstamp for a very long time if ever. To lost 10+% of their total customer deposited bitcoins is unacceptable and anyone keeping money or coins there with them after they "reopen" (if they do) deserve to lose their funds as there are many risks to leaving them on there after such an event.

Absolutely right, but have you understood the deeper meaning?

What is an alternative? I just try to find out:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/which-is-your-preferred-exchange-918149

This forum and western people have become unimportant for the Bitcoin economy.
Things are happening now in China (where no one is interested in Bitstamp).
And I would have to lie, if I would say that I am not deeply worried about that development.

We are excellent in blaming each other but unable to behave with integrity and discretion. We do not act like a community.
Without China Bitcoin would already be dead as a doornail. People already sitting on their offline wallets. We have 7tx/s bandwidth.
Without a trusted and respected ecosystem of enterprises Bitcoin is useless for the masses.
Since a long time I'm just watching. Don't trade don't use it anymore. Zerotrust to everyone. Embarrassed

I wonder what we can do (not what someone else can do). I love the idea of a free currency. But what's wrong with us if we can achieve this only by China?

http://www.coindesk.com/chinese-bitcoin-exchange-okcoin-accused-faking-trading-data/

http://bitcoinpricelive.com/chinese-bitcoins-crash-market/

legendary
January 08, 2015, 06:29:58 PM
Bitstamp going down like this is a huge red flag for me. I will not be using Bitstamp for a very long time if ever. To lost 10+% of their total customer deposited bitcoins is unacceptable and anyone keeping money or coins there with them after they "reopen" (if they do) deserve to lose their funds as there are many risks to leaving them on there after such an event.

Absolutely right, but have you understood the deeper meaning?

What is an alternative? I just try to find out:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/which-is-your-preferred-exchange-918149

This forum and western people have become unimportant for the Bitcoin economy.
Things are happening now in China (where no one is interested in Bitstamp).
And I would have to lie, if I would say that I am not deeply worried about that development.

We are excellent in blaming each other but unable to behave with integrity and discretion. We do not act like a community.
Without China Bitcoin would already be dead as a doornail. People already sitting on their offline wallets. We have 7tx/s bandwidth.
Without a trusted and respected ecosystem of enterprises Bitcoin is useless for the masses.
Since a long time I'm just watching. Don't trade don't use it anymore. Zerotrust to everyone. Embarrassed

I wonder what we can do (not what someone else can do). I love the idea of a free currency. But what's wrong with us if we can achieve this only by China?
Activity: 500
January 08, 2015, 05:47:21 PM
What is stopping them from proving they have the remaining balance of bitcoins?

It takes what a few minutes at most?

This is something that should have been done days ago.

Proving now they have the coins would stop them to file bankruptcy and claim they have no coins left because of the hack..
legendary
Activity: 889
Merit: 1000
January 08, 2015, 05:33:59 PM
At this point bitstamp is in the process of formulating an effective exit strategy plain and simple. Getting all its ducks in a row to screw everyone out of their money. What have they done ot refute this?
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
January 08, 2015, 05:18:26 PM
What is stopping them from proving they have the remaining balance of bitcoins?

It takes what a few minutes at most?

This is something that should have been done days ago.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
January 08, 2015, 05:03:39 PM
Hey crazy rabbit you have been around for a long time, why do you always come into threads like this being so incredible naive?

Here is a post from you from February:
Quote from: crazy_rabbit
I highly, highly, doubt Gox is going belly up. They handle an enormous volume both in trade and deposit/withdrawals. Obviously there is some sort of issue that needs to get solved. Maybe there is some sort of issue that only crops up with very large withdrawal volume. Either way, chill out. :-)

Seems you have not learned much. When stuff like this happens the correct response is always to act fast and be very aggressive. Everyone with money stuck on Stamp should really take the advice of smoothie and Nagel.

Don't confuse naive with supportive. I've had serious problems with Bitstamp in the past and they have resolved all of them with professionalism. The same was true for me with Gox. At the time, I had genuine reason to trust them and I generally play the devil's advocate on most issues.

That said- I did close the statement with: "Call your Lawyers". I would argue its more naive of you to think you have any recourse other than the legal system. They either come through on their promise, or you sue them.

So your idea is to act fast and be aggressive. Are you offering to hold Bistamps CEO's family hostage?  EDIT: Aggressive AND productive. EDIT2: I toned down my own aggressive wording to contribute to a civil discussion.

Oh really? Maybe it's more of a strong indication that they have reason to worry the hacker might have been in the system earlier than they think, already sold bitcoins and was hoping to withdraw FIAT before being caught.

You must never have tried withdrawing from Bitstamp or you would know their KYC/AML routines are very strict. Do you really think a hacker who is sitting on 5m in Bitcoin would give up his identity to withdraw a little bit of fiat?

I withdraw all the time and I've gone through all the legal nonsense required for their KYC/AML routine. That said nothing in their routine is that difficult to fake. Passport Scan? Utility Bill? Government ID? Considering how easy those are to fake, you might be surprised to learn that getting a poor person in the former communist block countries to give you power of attorney on their bank account is easier then photocopying their ID.

Now, withdrawing $5 million in cash isn't something that would go unnoticed, but you're assuming that all they stole was those 18K BTC. How was Bitstamp supposed to know this for sure AT THE TIME THEY SUSPENDED SERVICE? For all they know, they might be approving fiat withdrawls for tens of thousands of FIAT across any number of fake bank accounts. Maybe Bitstamp has been bleeding for quite awhile now and they didn't know it? Maybe someone else's earlier hack on the system left them exposed to this newer, more impatient thief? The possibilities are endless and the right thing to do was to suspend everything pending a thorough review.

Also, not to mention- Smoothie and I have jousted on a number of occasions and I quite respect his/her opinion. That said- he/she is not Bitstamps legal council. I can't imagine a situation where anyone reasonable could support processing withdrawals while simultaneously being robbed. They did the right thing, even if it screws us the customer. They stopped everything, probably did a system snapshot, and called the police.

So yeah, hope for the best because you can't do a single damned thing about it at this point. But because I HAVE learned from my experience with Gox, I have ALSO already called my lawyer. So should you.

I can see your approach.

Note: I am a guy. Been confirmed multiple times in person by several users.

That is correct I am not Bitstamp's legal counsel.

When MTGOX was not allowing fiat withdraws in June 2013 I stopped using them immediately and moved to bitstamp and coin base.

I'm surprised in January/February you were supporting them saying this:

Quote from: crazy_rabbit
I highly, highly, doubt Gox is going belly up. They handle an enormous volume both in trade and deposit/withdrawals. Obviously there is some sort of issue that needs to get solved. Maybe there is some sort of issue that only crops up with very large withdrawal volume. Either way, chill out. :-)

They did not handle an enormous volume of withdraws for 8 months prior to your post. So for you to say that I have to agree it does sound naive and in fact plain wrong.

Your post above is a classic example of where you failed to understand the issues mtgox was having for months.

Any business that can't process withdraws (fiat) for months is hiding something. There were many tells including the huge price disparity on gox vs btce or bitstamp etc.

I even made my own personal prediction in January 2014 saying that there would be a big event that will break MTGOX.

I didn't need to know that there was insider trading or a hack or Mark pocketing coins to know that there was something truly wrong with MTGOX months before they went belly up. Whenever a company's claims conflict in what they do there is a good chance they are trying to hide something. In MTGOX's case it was pretty obvious they were hiding something for a long long time.

In May 2013 at the Inside Bitcoins conference in San Jose MTGOX was supposed to be a major sponsor of their free wifi or something and then when I got there it was if the conference organizers tried to remove MTGOX from every piece of advertising given their recent closure and seizure of accounts in the US.

Not far after that they stopped fiat withdraws completely. I'm sure there was some loop hole to get fiat out which that user STURLE used to get fiat in and out of gox to benefit from the high price, but it wasn't a fair playing field for all gox customers.

legendary
Activity: 889
Merit: 1000
January 08, 2015, 04:47:47 PM
Relaunch ETA ~24-48h. Thank you for your patience!

Sigh... it has been over 48 hours, and still nothing. At least give a more honest or realistic ETA so we can plan accordingly.

before that it was 24 hours next it will be working hard at solving security issues ty for your paitence. He backtracked on the 48 hours saying that was a rough estimate fucking lying fucker. Post screen shots of assets if we can be res assured taht we will get our moneys. By taking our monies and vanishing there is no reason to not  leap to conclusion that this is gox all over again as has all the earmarks of gox . I had so much faith in these guys and it was obviously unwarranted. Take the money and dissapear for a week with nothing but rhetoric is reprehensible .
Pages:
Jump to: