Pages:
Author

Topic: Block Erupter: Dedicated Mining ASIC Project (Open for Discussion) - page 2. (Read 58591 times)

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
Just a thought on cooling, if they're laid out in squares of 9 or 16 chips then off the shelf CPU coolers could be used.

Only if thermal pads are used.  Otherwise, the height and angle of the chip package surfaces is not likely to be uniform enough to ensure good thermal coupling with all of them.
legendary
Activity: 1162
DiabloMiner author

In the case of Avalon: $4000-5000 per wafer, 4055 chips per wafer, $1/chip: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1402474

Hrm, if they're aiming for 66gh per unit, and each chip does 0.75gh, its approximately 88 chips per unit. Packaging and testing cost is, what, another 50 cents per? And completing the product (PCB manuf, mounting components on PCB, etc) is another, say, ~$120 per unit? Thats only a 5x markup from the sales price, how are they staying in business? =/

I am in shock! Are people seriously running numbers on Avalon ASIC using BFL as a base of measurement? Aside from the bold statement above, everything else is false. At this point I consider these statements slander: giving the public an impression Avalon is very cheap to produce and the fact of the matter is it really isn't. To put in prospective, a decent PSU is ~$90.

Saying I used BFL as a base of measurement is slander. I forgot about the case and the PSU, so don't get your jimmies rustled.
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
Avalon ASIC Team

In the case of Avalon: $4000-5000 per wafer, 4055 chips per wafer, $1/chip: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1402474

Hrm, if they're aiming for 66gh per unit, and each chip does 0.75gh, its approximately 88 chips per unit. Packaging and testing cost is, what, another 50 cents per? And completing the product (PCB manuf, mounting components on PCB, etc) is another, say, ~$120 per unit? Thats only a 5x markup from the sales price, how are they staying in business? =/

I am in shock! Are people seriously running numbers on Avalon ASIC using BFL as a base of measurement? Aside from the bold statement above, everything else is false. At this point I consider these statements slander: giving the public an impression Avalon is very cheap to produce and the fact of the matter is it really isn't. To put in prospective, a decent PSU is ~$90.
LOLing at "unfair advantage". It's a free market.
Activity: 88
Merit: 37
After a long and anxious waiting, we have finally got our packaged chip samples at hand. Everyone would be busy in the following 2-3 weeks.

The following pics are taken from my cellphone.

30GHash/s of computing power on one table:

Are you still going to be using your customers' money to buy more chips for yourself and directly compete with them (and thus gain significant unfair advantage,) or did you axe that idea already? If you did, then for those of us that purchased shares (and yes I did buy some few of your shares) on the original business plan that actual mining equipment would eventually go out to customers, at which point you would no longer grow your mining business past its original maximum, how have you explained this change?
legendary
It would be possible to know which is the manufacturing cost of a single integrated?
+1

How does it cost to produce an ASIC chip once the design is all done?

As you may recall, the $1,299 price was only meant to be for the first batch, and was to be $1,999 thereafter.  Only after the competition threw down did Avalon make the $1,299 price permanent.
legendary
Activity: 1162
DiabloMiner author
It would be possible to know which is the manufacturing cost of a single integrated?
+1

mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
+1

Must be without packaging?
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
+1

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

+1

aTg
legendary
Activity: 1358
legendary
Update

After a long and anxious waiting, we have finally got our packaged chip samples at hand. Everyone would be busy in the following 2-3 weeks.

So when will the first full batch be ordered/shipped?
legendary

95 chips.  That'd be 315.789473684211MH/s per.
Does this mean you need to put 95 of those chips in a single device to get the hash-rate that a bfl little single (30Gh/s) is supposed to give?

I don't see why this is a problem. As long as the cost and power consumption of the device is reasonable, who cares how many chips it has?

More chips means more PCB area, and more traces to route.  How many pins do you suppose are used on those QFN-40 packages, and how many of them need a dedicated connection to the MCU per chip rather than being able to be chained together bus style?

Also consider that a 30GH/s device based on 130nm technology may consume as much as 200 watts.  Depending on what voltage the chips run at, that can add up to quite a few amps that the power-bearing PCB traces will need to be capable of carrying every step of the way.

Cooling complexity will also increase with the chip count, more decoupling caps will be needed, etc.

Self-Mining with First Batch of Chips At least 12TH/s in
total, that is equivalent to 30MH/s per share, or 300MH/s per BTC.

So they're going to need 38,000 chips to reach their "first batch" hashrate of 12TH/s.  Yowza.
Activity: 800
Merit: 250
Activity: 24
Merit: 0

95 chips.  That'd be 315.789473684211MH/s per.
Does this mean you need to put 95 of those chips in a single device to get the hash-rate that a bfl little single (30Gh/s) is supposed to give?

I don't see why this is a problem. As long as the cost and power consumption of the device is reasonable, who cares how many chips it has?
Activity: 568
Merit: 500

95 chips.  That'd be 315.789473684211MH/s per.

A closer look at our baby:

Please invest your profits into a manicure, thank you.
donator
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001
Update

Top and bottom side of the chips:

A closer look at our baby:

Beautiful~
Pages:
Jump to: