Pages:
Author

Topic: Blockchain.info wallet on iOS - install it now! - page 2. (Read 6320 times)

aq
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
You guys should put your money where your mouth is and stop supporting Bitcoin blocking Apple. Buy some Bitcoin loving Android phone.
Except then I would have an android phone.
Wich would be a good thing actually
Unfortunately in the head of those disciples the Apple religion is stronger than (Bitcoin) freedom.
So I can't have free choice and choose apple?  If I choose apple then I am a zelot?  The only true choice is android?  Doesn't sound much like free will to me.
No you got it wrong. If you choose apple, you also choose not to have a Bitcoin client. So you can choose between apple and Bitcoin. So don't complain once your choice was apple.

Apple and their walled garden system is the same as central banks and fiat. Looks great from a distance, has some (not so) hidden drawbacks. People got so used to fiat and to be governed by apple that they have a hard time to get into Bitcoin and free open source smartphones.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
I am the one who knocks
You guys should put your money where your mouth is and stop supporting Bitcoin blocking Apple. Buy some Bitcoin loving Android phone.
Unfortunately in the head of those disciples the Apple religion is stronger than (Bitcoin) freedom.
So I can't have free choice and choose apple?  If I choose apple then I am a zelot?  The only true choice is android?  Doesn't sound much like free will to me.
aq
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
I am the one who knocks
Not unless android has matured by orders of magnitude in the last year.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
+1
I am the one who knocks
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
I said "Linux", you said "Unix".
We're both right Smiley
donator
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
Seems to me like a real Bitcoin wallet...that keeps the coins on the server, not on the phone. Not a Bitcoin client. Pretty cool.
I am the one who knocks
Lets see how long the goodness will last:

http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=562
Activity: 546
That is necessary for many things since Apple has designed the iOS system with large restrictions on what they can do compared with things like Android, Bada, Tizen, Meego. Those four are based on Linux, which is free and open software.
iOS is unix based too

I said "Linux", you said "Unix".

http://unix.stackexchange.com/
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007
1davout
That is necessary for many things since Apple has designed the iOS system with large restrictions on what they can do compared with things like Android, Bada, Tizen, Meego. Those four are based on Linux, which is free and open software.
iOS is unix based too
I am the one who knocks
hmmm, unable to download... Might be because i have the app from Cydia too, lol.
Interesting idea... I ran into the same issue.  I removed the Cydia package and then the iOS version installed without a hitch. 

The Blockchain.info app is back on the app store…no idea how that happened, but install it now before Apple changes their minds again.

Unfortunately, it is not the Blockchain for iOS wallet app, but instead just their block explorer utility.

not even it is just to view unconfirmed transactions, might as well jailbreak

Activity: 566
yup, that did it. Uninstalled Cydia's version and the AppStore version downloaded just fine Smiley
Activity: 931
That attack won't work with the app store, the signatures would fail.

Nice to know.

Some questions remains:

Who checks the signatures? How often?
Awesome.
Activity: 566
hmmm, unable to download... Might be because i have the app from Cydia too, lol.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001
A wallet on blockchain.info is inherently insecure. You should never have anything in it you would not be willing to lose.
Putting the app on top of that adds a few potential security threats sure, but it is already an assumed distrustful environment.

Leave the real wealth in the real wallet, put a few coins in this when going out, beer fund Smiley
Welcome to the community, glad to have you.

However please learn how things work before spouting off "advice".

kthnx

Wasn't blockchain.info fundamentally different in its approach to securing the wallet? I can't remember the technical details, nor am I an authority on them to begin with, but I do remember making a decision to move some coins to blockchain.info after reading some previous threads.

It would be nice to get a final determination on this some time.
I am the one who knocks
A wallet on blockchain.info is inherently insecure. You should never have anything in it you would not be willing to lose.
Putting the app on top of that adds a few potential security threats sure, but it is already an assumed distrustful environment.

Leave the real wealth in the real wallet, put a few coins in this when going out, beer fund Smiley

I thought that too!

Since the code is open, people can modify, compile and publish as an app. Or simply wait for the compiled version from Qkos Services Ltd and change it (Man-in-the-Middle).

Anyway to be sure?
That attack won't work with the app store, the signatures would fail.

As far as downloading a malicious version the same advice goes for any other bitcoin software, just make you you download it from a trusted source.  You could easily download a recompiled version of the mainline bitcoin client that was modified.  Just be vigilant.
Pages:
Jump to: