Pages:
Author

Topic: Blocks are [not] full. What's the plan? - page 10. (Read 14283 times)

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
November 19, 2013, 11:16:19 PM
Are solo miners affected? I mean, those who use bitcoind and their own ASIC devices, at the usual or standard set up.

If, for example, I had maybe 100 TH/s of mining equipment, and I decide to go do solo or p2pool ...
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
November 19, 2013, 10:53:35 PM
I think maybe pools should advertise a "guaranteed to process given available space" fee level? Lots of people may prefer to pay quite a bit more than being kept in the unknown, which is infuriating.

The min fee (0.1 mBTC per kB) should be fine.  Comparing the memory pool to recent blocks almost all paying tx are included in the next block.   The issue is more people creating tx w/ unconfirmed inputs and people creating tx w/ no fee (and any fee < 0.1 mBTC is considered no fee).  Still pools DO need to start making blocks large.  150KB (0.3 tps) isn't going to cut it.  Bitcoin growth is essentially halted until pools start expanding block size.

I figure that creating fee tiers may help improving the user experience for many, and help motivating the miners to create large blocks as well(the about 7 U.S cents min fee is embarrassingly low, in the sense that you don't even dare to call it a service you paid for and I can't figure out what people are up to when they choose to pay lower), but such policies are guaranteed to create an uproar in a community where many takes everything free for granted.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
November 19, 2013, 10:39:46 PM
I think maybe pools should advertise a "guaranteed to process given available space" fee level? Lots of people may prefer to pay quite a bit more than being kept in the unknown, which is infuriating.

The min fee (0.1 mBTC per kB) should be fine.  Comparing the memory pool to recent blocks almost all paying tx are included in the next block.   The issue is more people creating tx w/ unconfirmed inputs and people creating tx w/ no fee (and any fee < 0.1 mBTC is considered no fee).  Still pools DO need to start making blocks large.  150KB (0.3 tps) isn't going to cut it.  Bitcoin growth is essentially halted until pools start expanding block size.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
November 19, 2013, 10:24:55 PM
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
November 19, 2013, 10:18:43 PM
Include a higher than required transaction fee, and your transaction will go through.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
November 19, 2013, 10:07:24 PM
The title of this thread is wrong and misleading.  Please change it.  I thought it was something interesting and new and it is not.  Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 4060
Merit: 1303
November 19, 2013, 10:00:24 PM
Just two points, I don't think that < 0.01 bitcoins is a micropayment. At $600-$700 per bitcoin, that is $6-7. Perhaps < 0.0001 might be a micropayment though (6-7 cents), but even that perhaps might be an order of magnitude too high. :-)

Regarding block being filed, D&T makes a good point. 
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
November 19, 2013, 03:16:30 PM
Devs can solve that.
People didn't want it to change...
And this is what might destroy bitcoin.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
November 19, 2013, 03:10:00 PM
Blocks are not full. Pools can already create 1MB blocks they simply don't.  Devs can't "solve" that.  Complain to your favorite pool to increase the block size they target.
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
November 19, 2013, 03:05:31 PM
blocks are full NOW

there are already other threads about this

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/transactions-coming-from-blockchaininfo-taking-forever-to-confirm-lately-339257
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/transactions-wait-longer-but-pools-generate-small-blocks-338999
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/transaction-queue-backed-up-why-the-pool-limit-under-1mb-338793
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/pools-please-rais-blocksize-limit-338452

most pools create 250kb blocks only

please do something!!!

> release bitcoin 0.8.6, remove stupid -blockmaxsize
> transactions > 0.01 BTC are processed before transactions < 0.01 BTC
   tell people to not send transactions < 0.01 BTC, bitcoin is not ready for micro payments yet
> transactions not confirmed after 12 hours are removed from mempools automatically
> after 12 hours there must be a cancel/overwrite mechanism

at least tell people/merchants what to do if they have never confirming transactions

massive unconfirmed transactions are coming!!!

I know you devs are busy selling coins, but you owe the community solving this problem at least, before buying your ferrari.
Pages:
Jump to: