Pages:
Author

Topic: Blocks of Crypto -- a Minecraft-Crypto Concept - page 2. (Read 677 times)

Activity: 2282
Merit: 668
Community management 24/7 for hire
I have notting to do with the link. And only saw a little of this post.

Only posting the link if something you can use from it https://enjin.io/software/enjincraft

My son played it 2-3 days. But went back to normal minecraft (friends etc). As crypto guy I liked all the things he fund and stored in my wallet ;-)

edit:
https://github.com/enjin/enjincraft
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
How real does it need to get? Bitcoin is an official currency in Venezuela, which might be considered as pretty real...
I'm obviously not trying to discredit Bitcoin, I'm saying that the EULA will likely cater to the fact that Bitcoin isn't legal tender in most countries, including the one that which the company exists. So, while Bitcoin most definitely is a real currency, its not registered globally as that by, at least technically. Hence the suggestion of creating a virtual based currency for the server, rather than integrating via Lightening directly.
Activity: 44
Merit: 12
Made a GUI for basic functions today!

https://imgur.com/a/w1gDo10

Working on deposit/withdrawal request GUI then I'll get started on the in-game interactions for the miners and token plants before doing the backend, so there's something to show... less discouraging.

https://imgur.com/a/5VNrEr6

Changed my mind. Set up the backend for the season passes and quests and created a simple GUI for it. Still no ability to purchase season passes just yet and haven't populated the quests database, but progress is progress.

Last few for today.

https://imgur.com/a/XSjPNMi

Goodnight.

Working on deposit/withdrawal request GUI then I'll get started on the in-game interactions for the miners and token plants before doing the backend, so there's something to show... less discouraging.

https://imgur.com/a/5VNrEr6

Changed my mind. Set up the backend for the season passes and quests and created a simple GUI for it. Still no ability to purchase season passes just yet and haven't populated the quests database, but progress is progress.

Quick update. I was working on this till four in the morning last night and knocked out before posting an update.

Scrapped the socket communication idea, too much difficulty with creating a whole ass message system. Instead both programs read from the same database periodically (every few seconds) and leave instructions for the other to follow / update each "task" with the correct new "state" -- if a task isn't carried out successfully it'll be easy for a human to fix

Shifted everything from a standard Java project to a Maven project for easier building and rewrote some parts to be compatible / up to date with Java 16.
Any way I can join the team and help out? Check the DMs for contact info.
Hi, thanks for the offer. I'll get in touch.

How long do you think until you release the project?
I'm not sure. I think I can aim for Christmas, 2021.
Activity: 467
Merit: 578
How long do you think until you release the project?
Activity: 266
Merit: 100
Hey notasimp,

I have played Minecraft since the early days and would love to know more about this.

Any way I can join the team and help out? Check the DMs for contact info.
For all future updates, here are keywords:

CREATED - feature done being programmed, functional
STARTED - just started working on this, non-functional but code exists for it
FINISHED - feature finished, functional

A short update for tonight's session:

Code:
- Set up plugin's basic config file
- Set config file to export automatically
- Created internal framework for accessing / working with config file
- Created internal framework for working with permissions and chat
- Created internal framework for economy, plus a basic command to access playey "playcash" balance
- Created connection framework between standalone wallet server and plugin
- Started framework for plugin to retrieve players' token balances from wallet server

I have resumed development on this project! Hope to get some screenshots of in-game progress soon.

Will do this:

1. Wallet (done... kinda! supports deposits, but not automatic withdrawals just yet)
2. In-game development work (next up)
3. Linking those two with a dynamic exchange rate / market
4. Server setup (other plugins, permissions, builds, etc)
5. BETA
Activity: 189
Merit: 16
The question is whether there is a guaranteed exchange between the in game currency and the external cryptocurrency. If there isn't, it might be hard to convince people to still deposit real, externally usable cryptocurrencies. If there is, the in game currency might be regarded as a unit of account for the external cryptocurrency, and thereby possibly a collision with the EULA.
I haven't read the EULA in a long time, but I would assume that depositing for virtual currency within the game would break it already? Since, most games don't allow the sale of in game currencies, and I believe Minecraft also didn't allow purchasing of any non cosmetic items, which a virtual in game currency would violate that.

As long as the above is correct, allowing to deposit or cash out any real money would break the EULA regardless how you implement it.

How real does it need to get? Bitcoin is an official currency in Venezuela, which might be considered as pretty real...
staff
The question is whether there is a guaranteed exchange between the in game currency and the external cryptocurrency. If there isn't, it might be hard to convince people to still deposit real, externally usable cryptocurrencies. If there is, the in game currency might be regarded as a unit of account for the external cryptocurrency, and thereby possibly a collision with the EULA.
I haven't read the EULA in a long time, but I would assume that depositing for virtual currency within the game would break it already? Since, most games don't allow the sale of in game currencies, and I believe Minecraft also didn't allow purchasing of any non cosmetic items, which a virtual in game currency would violate that.

As long as the above is correct, allowing to deposit or cash out any real money would break the EULA regardless how you implement it.
Activity: 189
Merit: 16

By creating a in game currency, it'll probably be easier to work with the EULA. Also, it does save a butt load of work trying to implement Bitcoin into the server. The virtual currency could operate the exact same, and is probably a more secure implementation, since you aren't storing Bitcoin on the server. Instead, users would earn the virtual currency, and then request a withdrawal at x time.

So, while you could have a lightening system in the background, I'm not entirely sure it would be a good idea to present it like that to the users of the server.
I'm sure we could simplify the language, yes. Or provide a short, simple, 2-minute explanation of how the Lightning Network works. The concept isn't too difficult to explain; I think there are existing YouTube videos that do a good job of getting the basic message across.

The simplest way, of course, would be to raise the withdrawal limit / set it reasonably high that fees wouldn't be an issue either way.
staff
Its worth mentioning; Despite this probably being a excellent way to inform, and teach those unfamiliar with cryptocurrencies making it too complex could bring its own problems i.e if the payment system put in place is complex, it will discourage those that aren't familiar with Bitcoin or cryptocurrencies. Effectively, limiting your target audience. So, while you could have a lightening system in the background, I'm not entirely sure it would be a good idea to present it like that to the users of the server. I said before, you want to appeal to the general user base of Minecraft, and not just those interested in cryptocurrencies, and by implementing a easy, and simple system it would be much more likely that you retain a player base, and eventually given enough time those users will likely be more interested in learning about cryptocurrencies. So, effectively you are acting as an advertisement for Bitcoin in a indirect way. 
You don't need to open a channel to every single user. You could open a single large channel to some medium/large sized node which could take care of payment routing for a small fee.
Interesting. Will look into doing this programmatically -- not sure if the library I'm using right now supports it or if I'd need to code this myself (more work).

You could even open a direct channel to BlueWallet node to make sure that there would not be any failed routings. In such a case, you would not have to pay any transaction fees for withdrawals made to BlueWallet.
I see. I'll definitely look into this.

Just an update on the project as a whole: still on a work course till the 23rd, expect to resume development on the 25th after a day's break.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
I'm not sure we'll start out with sufficient funds to do that for each user.

You don't need to open a channel to every single user. You could open a single large channel to some medium/large sized node which could take care of payment routing for a small fee.

When some node routes a payment, it receives coins in one channel and uses some other channel to send the same amount of coins (minus the fee).

You could even open a direct channel to BlueWallet node to make sure that there would not be any failed routings. In such a case, you would not have to pay any transaction fees for withdrawals made to BlueWallet.
Yes, you need to lock up a certain amount of coins in a multi-signature address beforehand.

I'm not sure we'll start out with sufficient funds to do that for each user.

You also need to worry about inbound/outbound liquidity. When you open a channel, all funds are on your side of the channel. Unless someone opens a channel to your node or you spend some coins over the Lightning Network, you won't be able to receive any payments.

I know it's complicated. An average minecraft player would not bother to do all of that. That's why you could recommend BlueWallet to your players. This way, they would be instantly able to receive Lightning payments without any extra configuration. It's a custodial wallet, though.
Yeah. I think paying in an altcoin or having a high payout threshold will be the solution I'll go for.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
LN contracts require a pre-payment, though, don't they? And a contract is between max two parties.

Yes, you need to lock up a certain amount of coins in a multi-signature address beforehand.

Meaning an additional amount will always be tied up in open LN contracts.

You also need to worry about inbound/outbound liquidity. When you open a channel, all funds are on your side of the channel. Unless someone opens a channel to your node or you spend some coins over the Lightning Network, you won't be able to receive any payments.

I know it's complicated. An average minecraft player would not bother to do all of that. That's why you could recommend BlueWallet to your players. This way, they would be instantly able to receive Lightning payments without any extra configuration. It's a custodial wallet, though.
Pages:
Jump to: