Pages:
Author

Topic: BM1384 Pod Miner plus trade-in/recycling - an interest and feasibility poll - page 13. (Read 27780 times)

legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
If someone corners the market by hoarding pods from a bucket of trade-ins, within a few weeks I'll have turned those trade-ins into between two and three times as many pods.

Also, the only people that should profit from this venture are not GekkoScience, but GekkoScience and its customers. If we're the only ones coming out ahead, that means the product is not worth buying.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Should I worry about a cap, in order to prevent some folks from being taken advantage of by a few opportunistic individuals? Or should I not care and let the market fend for itself? I don't like being party to someone getting screwed, but at the same time it's not my job to be the dick police.

I would say that as long as no one is cornering the market on your pods via trade-ins that you should let the market work itself out.  My only concern would be someone sending in a crap-ton of boards and hoarding all the pods you make, only to try and turn around and resell them to make a buck.  The only people that should profit from this venture are gekko science, I would hate to see someone try and take advantage of this opportunity.
Activity: 924
As many people as are popping up with boards, I'll probably look to making more like 200 than 50.

I guess what I was thinking for a cap was limiting the number of free pods that could be gotten for S5 trades; say, past the cap an S5 board would pay for half a pod instead? That does seem kinda crappy though. I think I'll leave it wide open.

Regarding "extra pods" if folks don't buy them all up, that's not really a problem. Heck I'll just mine on them myself.
We don't know your financials and trust you to make a decision that profits GekkoScience as well.  There's no shame in profitting since we know it will help future ventures as well. 
There won't be any torches or pitchforks if prices change or trade ins change.  We want to help... some of us can't financially so trade ins help those in that situation.
legendary
So, who thinks I should put a cap on how many S5 boards a person can trade for pods? What should that cap be? Five? Ten? I know right now only 8 survey respondents have selected the straight trade option, but I'm also told that the market value for dead S5 boards has been increasing since this thread appeared because people are buyi
Also, y'all will be pleased to note that I made absolutely no progress on this or any other project today.

DO a poll ?  . if you need to do it make it 8 to 10  Smiley .  10 is 2 th worth of power ? . there gonna sell like hot cakes

you all ready care enough to want to keep home mining going shouldn't that be enough ?. you won't be a party to someone getting screwed, that's like those fools who kept buying into per orders after they got ripped off 4 or more times, yet they kept doing it then complained, once would have been enough for me and it happen once and only one time to me, so now i just wait and watch but i was smart enough to use the right payment and got my money back etc . but once was enough kind of why i don't like buying direct from bitmain, no way of a refund if they go bad, that's a you never know with them .

You can't stop it . Smiley . it's goona happen with or with out a limit some one is going to try and do it, some fool/unknowing players will get ripped off regardless  Wink .it  just will happen . your miner are that good and can  make a lot of money for those yow hos.

PS how ever you take what i said , it's the truth, it will happen either way , do care, but don't over care, it will worry you more .
legendary
Activity: 872
Merit: 1010
Coins, Games & Miners

What happened between the post below and now?

To go from 16 boards to 1 is quite a few less.  Just curious what happened in only a few days would had been exciting to see that many shipped in for this.

I think the guy that was selling me those dead boards will send 'em himself, so it is a win anyways. I'll probably be looking to buy more pods for me come the moment then.
legendary
As many people as are popping up with boards, I'll probably look to making more like 200 than 50.

I guess what I was thinking for a cap was limiting the number of free pods that could be gotten for S5 trades; say, past the cap an S5 board would pay for half a pod instead? That does seem kinda crappy though. I think I'll leave it wide open.

Regarding "extra pods" if folks don't buy them all up, that's not really a problem. Heck I'll just mine on them myself.
legendary
Activity: 1456
So, who thinks I should put a cap on how many S5 boards a person can trade for pods? What should that cap be? Five? Ten? I know right now only 8 survey respondents have selected the straight trade option, but I'm also told that the market value for dead S5 boards has been increasing since this thread appeared because people are buying in anticipation of the opportunity to trade.

Should I worry about a cap, in order to prevent some folks from being taken advantage of by a few opportunistic individuals? Or should I not care and let the market fend for itself? I don't like being party to someone getting screwed, but at the same time it's not my job to be the dick police.

Also, y'all will be pleased to note that I made absolutely no progress on this or any other project today.

Assuming each board traded in brings in more chips to the project and would increase the overall amount of Pods I would not cap.  But that depends on the amount of Pods.

If there is a number like 50 pods or something like mentioned once I would really like to see limited a little bit to spread around.  Even offer pre-ordering as I think quite a few of us would be willing to do this and not bug you on timeframe.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Yeah, market for the dead boards is getting rough. Like REALLY rough. I haven't been able to get ahold of the amount of boards i told back then (just 1) and everyone down here on my country is stashing them Smiley Guess it will be great for the project, maybe i instead will arrange a group shipment and buy-back of the extra pods.

Kinda nebulous atm on how i will handle it Sad i have at least 4 peeps on my family interested on the pods, plus a lot of people on a miners group talking about these babies.

What happened between the post below and now?

But yeah, there are more important things than money. I treat money as a resource, something I want because it enables me to do awesome stuff. A lot of people want money just to have money and whatever power or comfort having lots of money could bring. Me, I just want resources - but I don't want to feel like I didn't earn what I have, which is one of the things defining my stance on preorders and investment dollars.

Speaking of resources, i've just got 1 dead board from a friend, there's about 15 more incoming my way, that would net about 16 boards "if" the project goes trough.

As soon as i have them all, and you say "go" i'll send'em.

To go from 16 boards to 1 is quite a few less.  Just curious what happened in only a few days would had been exciting to see that many shipped in for this.
legendary
Activity: 872
Merit: 1010
Coins, Games & Miners
Yeah, market for the dead boards is getting rough. Like REALLY rough. I haven't been able to get ahold of the amount of boards i told back then (just 1) and everyone down here on my country is stashing them Smiley Guess it will be great for the project, maybe i instead will arrange a group shipment and buy-back of the extra pods.

Kinda nebulous atm on how i will handle it Sad i have at least 4 peeps on my family interested on the pods, plus a lot of people on a miners group talking about these babies.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Why cap it?

More sales should eventually drop the cost at least a little, and might help sell "extra" units on a non-trade basis for those of us that don't have "dead" S5s.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
maybe dead boards needs to be amended to X# of viable S5 chips = 1 x 8 chip Free Pod ?
So, who thinks I should put a cap on how many S5 boards a person can trade for pods? What should that cap be? Five? Ten? I know right now only 8 survey respondents have selected the straight trade option, but I'm also told that the market value for dead S5 boards has been increasing since this thread appeared because people are buying in anticipation of the opportunity to trade.

I was under the assumption that you needed as many chips as you can get from trades of an S5.  Given more people seem to be attracted to a product with a higher hashrate. 

It doesn't make sense to trade in a working S5 but a non-working one definitely.  I think the barebone costs of this pod miner will sell like waffles ( I mean pancakes). 

This project specifically was based on the "rinse and reuse" philosophy as I understood it.  So my 2 cents says to continue on and if it looks to be an issue change paths at that time.

Who knows this could go beyond what your estimating in sales and at worst have some extra parts to play with. 
legendary

Many enjoyed the pricing battle between SP and Bitmain.  We just need more product continually being released to benefit.  At least sidehacks work is a nice reprieve from the once a year releases.
legendary
They appear to be talking about the same Lketc miners in the bottom-end 3TH version - this is NOT a bloody USB stick, whoever came up with that concept needs to go back to school and learn some basic math.

The quote was in BTC, not $ - though even the quoted 0.87B per miner seems a little low even as a batch price, it WOULD be nice and competative and would make RoI on these things achievable!

"per chip" does not specify "per miner".

actually it is 'reading comprehension" in that I'm sick and miss read both the BTC (i saw usd) and the  'per chip" where it was 'per chip per miner'

heh....shoot me (please sick as a dog!) Sorry about the confusion. But it is gonna be 'quite the war' of the giants imho.

can't wait but not till winter next year Sad .hoping to see real cheap miners then if it doesn't happen, i some how see bitmain getting even more greddy and selling 12 th miner for 3 k and we pay like fools ..  

but isn't that how it is with no one to stop them .  if SP or Avalon or LK had come out with some thing about the time S7 came out , we would see then around 400 or 500 they would more then likely be selling chips , sense on one is out there atm to go against them they can do what ever they want to .

SO quite the war it will be if more start  selling to the public the money is there , just will they at a nice price Smiley .
Activity: 135
Merit: 11
Thanks Jake. That would explain why I do not see the vote option. I guess I need to get more active and stop being a "lurker" Smiley

- Frank
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!
They appear to be talking about the same Lketc miners in the bottom-end 3TH version - this is NOT a bloody USB stick, whoever came up with that concept needs to go back to school and learn some basic math.

The quote was in BTC, not $ - though even the quoted 0.87B per miner seems a little low even as a batch price, it WOULD be nice and competative and would make RoI on these things achievable!

actually it is 'reading comprehension" in that I'm sick and miss read both the BTC (i saw usd) and the  'per chip" where it was 'per chip per miner'

heh....shoot me (please sick as a dog!) Sorry about the confusion. But it is gonna be 'quite the war' of the giants imho.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
I am all in for S1 option. Got plenty of old boards sitting around.
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!
I was under the impression that the BW preorder was for 333 miners at .87 BTC equalling about 1 Ph for a total of about 289.71 BTC

Well if that is the case from the above I stand corrected...but they said 'bulk orders' in the above so usually that means 'a piece' then they hit you with the
amount you have to buy in bulk to get that price (or not)

I really doubt you are gonna get 333 usb miners for $289.71 usd it would be nice 1PH for $289.71. But again they are talking about 'miners' not 'chips' so
I think my price is correct on the above

(Never wanted to be more wrong in my life ..so if so ...point it out) Smiley

I did some math over here:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12735287

I think there are some mis-commuications. It's around 289 BTC not USD.  So that likely added to it.  

quote author=QuintLeo link=topic=1203190.msg12735338#msg12735338 date=1445330928]

[/quote]

yeah I stand corrected it says 30.6gh to 63gh per chip per MINER if I remember the GH right...so not usb I did not 'see' it correctly

So yeah this could really really say at a 3 TH miner run the bitcoin difficulty past doubling in some kinda asic mnfg to chip to in house at cost to data hall and cheap china electric

..well gonna be quite the WAR imho ...and this stuff always seems to work out where it all hits the world at the same time Smiley

Heh! I got that wrong on both the BTC and the 'chips in miner" quote..could be worse I guess I could have been working for NASA and everyone woulda died! Smiley

Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times!

Indeeed!
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

Pages:
Jump to: