Pages:
Author

Topic: BM1384 Pod Miner plus trade-in/recycling - an interest and feasibility poll - page 4. (Read 27680 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
The community is supporting the gekko guys.  For one they make good stuff secondly if there ever is going to be a small scale miner for a hobbiest it will most likely come from these guys.

That was why i do or did:)
Activity: 124
Merit: 15

I am waiting to see if the pod happens I would add one maybe a few to play with.  I still would like to see a company sell current gen chips to Sidehack.  Would love if he got support and we see a pod with it.
[/quote]

I dont know. Why do people buy sidehack sticks for 25-40USD?

Maybe some people see them as lottery tickets. I got one as a toy, and if you run 100 of them on free electricity, then i guess you have a silent 1TH/s that makes 0 noise. Depending on the heat density.
[/quote]

The community is supporting the gekko guys.  For one they make good stuff secondly if there ever is going to be a small scale miner for a hobbiest it will most likely come from these guys.

Somewhere previously stated that batches will most likely be bought by resellers making this stick an attractive introductory miner to learn on.  For roughly the same money is a newbie going to buy 2-5 gh miner when there is an 8+ gh option out there to get your feet wet with?

If bitcoin ever hopes for decentralization it will take new blood getting into the game.  With that being said what does it matter if they sell a "toy" or multi Terahash rig that only the hard core players can obtain?  Still need peoples to buy and operate the machines and    might as well learn on a stick vs. outdated used machinery. 

Hopefully these guys can obtain new tech chips and develop a miner in the future.  That's why we check this this particular thread.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
But the best part about pulling parts and remounting is it's pretty easy when you have a reflow oven and a putty knife and a pick-and-place machine.

At this point, pods as they've been discussed in this thread are basically deceased. The chips I can use are either about to be two generations behind, unavaiable, or have no datasheet. For now the pod as it is in this thread might be repurposed as a testbed for a new project but with the diff where it's going, it'll be hard to make a BM1385/A3218 pod feasible let alone a BM1384.

Ahh, i still have that (your extra) S5 board you sent me by accident. What do i do with it?

If you make some pods i still dont mind doing a trade in of S5/S1/AMTubes boards. But i understand that from a development standpoint it might not be worth the production costs.

I hope he does it as I really like his work.  But I think S1/AM tubes are not going to be big on list of needs (unless from componets he needs), I just don't see chips being that great.

The good news for the project is bitcoin difficulty is going crazy.  Which is bad for miners.   But likely means S3's and S5's will only get cheaper and if difficulty keeps going like it is hard to say what cost would be in a month even.   So the good news is possibly cheaper miners with decent chips.   But granted they still are not the latest and greatest chips.

Yeah he said he needed the S1/AMT for the solid state caps and such. And that the S1 had more needed components than he expected. But the thing is its not very motivating to do this work when the pods would no longer really ROI.

Its too bad because i know pods would still be okay. I mean look at people still buying U3 just because they're quiet and they're run on free electricity. But its pretty niche now, i guess.

Personally i still want them, but *shrug*. Price wise it might be a bit icky.

I can't figure out why people still pay so much for U3's.  I bought from crazy guy and eventually got R1 to control them with Crazy Guy's custom firmware.  I played with them for a month or two and i lost interest.  I actually made ROI by selling for some reason people  still pay decent on U3's or did during time I sold.

I am waiting to see if the pod happens I would add one maybe a few to play with.  I still would like to see a company sell current gen chips to Sidehack.  Would love if he got support and we see a pod with it.

I dont know. Why do people buy sidehack sticks for 25-40USD?

Maybe some people see them as lottery tickets. I got one as a toy, and if you run 100 of them on free electricity, then i guess you have a silent 1TH/s that makes 0 noise. Depending on the heat density.
legendary
Activity: 1274
If the U3 actually worked as intended with no problems it would have been a fun little machine.  That's where the gekko pod comes in.  We all know it will work and we can surmise that, with today's better tech, it will work faster and more efficiently than the U3.  I really look forward to these pods being released.
zOU
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
★ these are stars ★
I can't figure out why people still pay so much for U3's.  I bought from crazy guy and eventually got R1 to control them with Crazy Guy's custom firmware.  I played with them for a month or two and i lost interest.  I actually made ROI by selling for some reason people  still pay decent on U3's or did during time I sold.

i get some pretty good "bestshares" from my U3 compared to my others miners.
legendary
Activity: 1456
But the best part about pulling parts and remounting is it's pretty easy when you have a reflow oven and a putty knife and a pick-and-place machine.

At this point, pods as they've been discussed in this thread are basically deceased. The chips I can use are either about to be two generations behind, unavaiable, or have no datasheet. For now the pod as it is in this thread might be repurposed as a testbed for a new project but with the diff where it's going, it'll be hard to make a BM1385/A3218 pod feasible let alone a BM1384.

Ahh, i still have that (your extra) S5 board you sent me by accident. What do i do with it?

If you make some pods i still dont mind doing a trade in of S5/S1/AMTubes boards. But i understand that from a development standpoint it might not be worth the production costs.

I hope he does it as I really like his work.  But I think S1/AM tubes are not going to be big on list of needs (unless from componets he needs), I just don't see chips being that great.

The good news for the project is bitcoin difficulty is going crazy.  Which is bad for miners.   But likely means S3's and S5's will only get cheaper and if difficulty keeps going like it is hard to say what cost would be in a month even.   So the good news is possibly cheaper miners with decent chips.   But granted they still are not the latest and greatest chips.

Yeah he said he needed the S1/AMT for the solid state caps and such. And that the S1 had more needed components than he expected. But the thing is its not very motivating to do this work when the pods would no longer really ROI.

Its too bad because i know pods would still be okay. I mean look at people still buying U3 just because they're quiet and they're run on free electricity. But its pretty niche now, i guess.

zOU
★ these are stars ★
I mean look at people still buying U3 just because they're quiet and they're run on free electricity.

why would U3 electricity be free ?
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
If I do 'em it won't be with BM1384. Too tired.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1456

Activity: 588
I'd be willing to shell out a premium for custom BM1385 Pods using old antminer u3's.  Love your work I've got 5 of your compaqs!

A BM1385 Pod from a U3 would indeed be a great achievement.  Smiley
legendary

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy

legendary
Activity: 3682
Merit: 2607
Evil beware: We have waffles!
I honestly haven't read the entire thread - but I just got some cool new toys and could possibly help with teardown.  I have a full smd rework station and wouldn't mind donating some time - either tearing down or assembling.

Let me know.

P.s. I am in Vegas

Boomin
Send SideHack a PM on that. He's swamped with work on the pods and a project using Avalon chips. Both involve pulling parts from boards and remounting on new boards.
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
I honestly haven't read the entire thread - but I just got some cool new toys and could possibly help with teardown.  I have a full smd rework station and wouldn't mind donating some time - either tearing down or assembling.

Let me know.

P.s. I am in Vegas

Boomin
Activity: 594
Merit: 506
Also, since the prototype pod is probably the last thing I'll do with BM1384, I'll probably start a new thread at some point since the old BM1384 Project Dev thread will be kinda defunct. But I may be working with new stuff sometime soon so when I have something worth saying I'll start a fresh thread to say it.

Ahh nice one, didn't see this.
zOU
★ these are stars ★
Also, since the prototype pod is probably the last thing I'll do with BM1384, I'll probably start a new thread at some point since the old BM1384 Project Dev thread will be kinda defunct. But I may be working with new stuff sometime soon so when I have something worth saying I'll start a fresh thread to say it.
I assume Sidehack is busy making/shipping the compacs first, before more news for the pod.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
Got 2 S1 ready for upgrade!  Grin
Any news on this bad boy?
Pages:
Jump to: