Pages:
Author

Topic: "Book club" - page 4. (Read 6482 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
July 03, 2012, 08:36:27 AM
You avoid the question.  If Joe has no defence agency, there is no restriction on Tannahelp killing him is there?  They won't be investigated, let alone punished.

This merry-go-round again? We've covered this. My arguments haven't changed. Go back and read 'em.

Me? I don't run an ambulance service. But if I did, I'd find it hard to collect if my patients died while waiting for insurance to clear, so I would focus on keeping them alive first, and worry about payment later. Thus the use of the word "bill", as in "bill me later"

So if he can't pay who's paying? In emergency rooms they don't check really for insurance, they treat you. If you don't have insurance and can't pay then the cost will be passed to the rest of society. I.e. it's socialized.
If nothing else, then there is always charity. You may (and probably will) argue that that is still socialized, and you're right. But they voluntarily agree to pay the bills of those who are unable to, and that is an important distinction.
Activity: 574
July 03, 2012, 08:29:22 AM
Me? I don't run an ambulance service. But if I did, I'd find it hard to collect if my patients died while waiting for insurance to clear, so I would focus on keeping them alive first, and worry about payment later. Thus the use of the word "bill", as in "bill me later"

So if he can't pay who's paying? In emergency rooms they don't check really for insurance, they treat you. If you don't have insurance and can't pay then the cost will be passed to the rest of society. I.e. it's socialized.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
July 03, 2012, 08:28:35 AM
You avoid the question.  If Joe has no defence agency, there is no restriction on Tannahelp killing him is there?  They won't be investigated, let alone punished.
July 03, 2012, 08:25:57 AM
As I suspected, you misunderstand the position, or are deliberately distorting it. Read the chapter again, paying special attention to the section (which is 4 paragraphs long) which begins "But wars are very expensive,"

I've understood it fine. 

If Joe has no defence agency, he can be killed.  I take it you are agreed on that?

Deliberately distorting it then. Thanks for your honesty.

If he has no Defense agency, he is still capable of signing the same agreements to arbitrate with the other agencies as they are, he's just on his own for defense. Those who refuse protection would most likely be the "survivalist" types, and be armed to the teeth anyway.

Why should you have to pay for his ambulance ride? Why should anyone but him? It's his bill, let him pay it.

Are you gonna ask a critically injured person -  do you have money? Or save him first?

Activity: 574
July 03, 2012, 08:09:15 AM
Why should you have to pay for his ambulance ride? Why should anyone but him? It's his bill, let him pay it.

Are you gonna ask a critically injured person -  do you have money? Or save him first?
legendary
July 03, 2012, 08:05:32 AM
As I suspected, you misunderstand the position, or are deliberately distorting it. Read the chapter again, paying special attention to the section (which is 4 paragraphs long) which begins "But wars are very expensive,"

I've understood it fine. 

If Joe has no defence agency, he can be killed.  I take it you are agreed on that?
July 03, 2012, 07:58:01 AM
legendary
July 03, 2012, 07:48:32 AM
We start with "Government is an agency of legitimized coercion."

We come to Joe being accused of stealing a TV.  Tannahelp, the security company, tells him to surrender himself or they will take him by force.  Joe has his own defence company.  The dispute goes to arbitration and he loses.  Tannahelp, the security company, at this point is an agency of legitimized coercion; it has the authority to take back the TV and to punish Joe.  

In effect, Joe has a new government called Tannahelp, hasn't he?  

Anyway they decided to kill him.  Joe's agency, Dawn Defense, may object that this is too severe.  He may have paid them to make sure that no-one ever has the right to kill him.
In this case, "If, by some chance, the customers of the two agencies feel equally strongly, perhaps two courts will be chosen, one of each kind, and cases allocated randomly between them."

On other words, its a random chance whether or not Joe gets killed by his new government despite his explicitly entering a contract that said he was not to be killed.

So, these private companies can arrest and kill you merely on suspicion if you don't have a security company.
If you do have a security company, its random chance whether or not you get what you paid for.
If you lose at arbitration, you lose everything.  You can be killed if the arbitration company selected by your new government allows that.

You think all that is OK?
July 03, 2012, 07:26:21 AM

And you agree with that chapter?  Or is it only some sentences in that chapter that you think are ok?

I said I found nothing to disagree with regarding the system of market law described therein, did I not?

I have just skimmed the chapter again, to be sure, and I saw no sentence that I disagreed with. I may have missed one, but I doubt it.

One thing I did notice, that I dislike, is that he uses the word "court" when referring to private law. He makes it clear what he is discussing upfront, but though I would prefer he use "arbiter", he can be forgiven not using a new term when speaking to an uninitiated audience.
legendary
July 03, 2012, 07:16:50 AM

You don't agree with its central premise that the NAP is bunk or that a state is needed.  Apart from agreeing that racial discrimination should be legalised again, I can't see what you agree with in that book.

I proposed it mostly for the description of market law. Perhaps you would like another book to read? I can suggest one much closer to my own views, if you like.

But you don't agree with the description of market law.  What you describe and what he describe are very different.

Have you actually read the book? 

I found nothing to disagree with in the system of Market law described in the book. Either you misunderstand my position, his position, or both. I suspect the latter.

You haven't answered the question.  Have you read the book?  Tell me what chapter you are talking about.

Yes, I have. The chapter I am speaking of is "Police, Courts, and Laws - on the Market".

And you agree with that chapter?  Or is it only some sentences in that chapter that you think are ok?
July 03, 2012, 07:12:17 AM

You don't agree with its central premise that the NAP is bunk or that a state is needed.  Apart from agreeing that racial discrimination should be legalised again, I can't see what you agree with in that book.

I proposed it mostly for the description of market law. Perhaps you would like another book to read? I can suggest one much closer to my own views, if you like.

But you don't agree with the description of market law.  What you describe and what he describe are very different.

I found nothing to disagree with in the system of Market law described in the book. Either you misunderstand my position, his position, or both. I suspect the latter.

You haven't answered the question.  Have you read the book?  Tell me what chapter you are talking about.

Yes, I have. The chapter I am speaking of is "Police, Courts, and Laws - on the Market".
legendary
July 03, 2012, 07:09:22 AM

July 03, 2012, 07:06:55 AM

legendary
July 03, 2012, 06:57:23 AM

July 03, 2012, 06:54:24 AM

legendary
July 03, 2012, 06:45:02 AM
Well if you don't agree with Friedman, why did you ask us to read the book?  

Because I can respect a man's position, even if I disagree with him. Also, a moderate position is a better introduction than an extreme one.

So its a good book but you don't agree with it?  

I don't agree with all of it. It's a fine distinction, but an important one.

July 03, 2012, 06:40:11 AM

Because I can respect a man's position, even if I disagree with him. Also, a moderate position is a better introduction than an extreme one.

I don't agree with all of it. It's a fine distinction, but an important one.
legendary
July 03, 2012, 06:38:12 AM

lol fine. 
July 03, 2012, 06:30:17 AM

legendary
July 03, 2012, 06:27:13 AM
You know, boring someone to death is not a way to persuade them of anything.
Wise words, Hawker. May they serve you well!

Ouch! 
Pages:
Jump to: