Pages:
Author

Topic: [Bounty] 2 BTC - corrupted wallet recovery! - page 2. (Read 2662 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
I've already tried, no luck  Undecided.
So the mkey is necessary to decrypt, am i correct?
Yes the mkey is necessary
I finished looking at your wallet and can't find any mkey or things alike (m?ey, ?key, mk?y...)
Really sorry man  Sad
Activity: 699
Merit: 501
Coinpanion.io - Copy Successful Crypto Traders
Oh wait, I didn't notice that, this is no good: --recov_size 1Mo
You must put the size of the hard disk in --recov_size, and I bet it's more something around 500Go

You must put at least the size of the file, is your wallet.dat really <1Mo?

It is 135 kb.
Is having the mkey necessary to decrypt some private key?
Because if that parameter is necessary we'd better stop here since i can't find it in my corrupted wallet.
Are you 100% sure you don't have mkey? Because "Found 1 possible wallets" means pywallet found 1 mkey

What i posted was the output for a valid NMC encrypted wallet.
If i run the same command with the corrupted wallet the output is Found 0 possible wallets.

Oh sorry, then TBH I don't think there's much hope left  Sad

Last hope ever: run pywallet recovery on your HD (according to what happened that is hopeless though) and on your external HD (maybe a bit less hopeless)
I don't think this will work but maybe the Namecoin Gods are around...

I've already tried, no luck  Undecided.
So the mkey is necessary to decrypt, am i correct?
legendary
You must put the size of the hard disk in --recov_size, and I bet it's more something around 500Go

It is 135 kb.
Because if that parameter is necessary we'd better stop here since i can't find it in my corrupted wallet.
Are you 100% sure you don't have mkey? Because "Found 1 possible wallets" means pywallet found 1 mkey

If i run the same command with the corrupted wallet the output is Found 0 possible wallets.

Oh sorry, then TBH I don't think there's much hope left  Sad

Last hope ever: run pywallet recovery on your HD (according to what happened that is hopeless though) and on your external HD (maybe a bit less hopeless)
I don't think this will work but maybe the Namecoin Gods are around...
YIz
Activity: 686
Merit: 502
I know it might seem stupid, but I've had some luck in the past with restoring a previous versions of files using Windows. Right Click - Properties - And see if a previous version is avaliable.

It is 135 kb.

legendary
I've found this guy https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/help-bounty-recovering-ltc-wallet-using-pywallet-398155 had to change something in the pywallet script to make it work with litecoin, maybe i need to change something too?
No because in his case pywallet found the keys
legendary

It is 135 kb.
legendary

It is 135 kb

Isn't that small for a wallet file?

BTW in Pywallet I have hardcoded formats for ckeys that could be different from Namecoin, if you're OK you can send me your wallet (it is encrypted I can't use private keys) and I'll try pywallet without checks to see what I can find.

It is 135 kb.

I've found this guy https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/help-bounty-recovering-ltc-wallet-using-pywallet-398155 had to change something in the pywallet script to make it work with litecoin, maybe i need to change something too?
legendary

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
You have to get lost before you can find yourself.
subscribed. intrested how it ends. wish you best luck recovering all your money
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176
@FAILCommunity
Just fork the coin. Cheesy

P.S. Just kidding. Good luck with that, because I suppose you are in tough position...
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
Since your bounty is quite consistent, I would assume that your wallet is pretty fat one, so I can assume that you will try all the possible options..

I've read that wallet.dat is a Berkeley DB file. Maybe get the Oracle Berkeley DB files and see if db_dump works or maybe try a db_recover on the wallet file and then try again with pywallet.py
I didn't want to install anything so downloaded the zip from Oracle and I compiled it myself. On my wallet the db_dump worked, just it obtained a lot of .. lines which have to be further decrypted (hence the pywallet is still your friend).

Again: you may need to do a db_recover.
Starting recovery.

Read 0.0 Go in 0.0 minutes

Found 1 possible wallets
Found 0 possible encrypted keys
Found 0 possible unencrypted keys

Possible wallet #1
    with passphrase #1  

All the found encrypted private keys have been decrypted.
The wallet is encrypted and the passphrase is correct

Importing:

The new wallet /home/username/Desktop/recovery/recovered_wallet_1476451765.dat contains the 0 recovered key

This is the output of pywallet with a valid NMC wallet!

I opened the corrupted wallet with an hex editor and found 8 ckey only and no mkey

legendary
Hi!
Try this without --namecoin:
sudo python ./pywallet.py --recover --recov_device /path/to/corrupted_wallet.dat --recov_size 1Mo --recov_outputdir /home/username/Desktop/recovery

What does it return? What is "no success"?
And how did you find 8 "ckeyA"? How many "ckey" do you find?
Activity: 531
Merit: 500
Ask this guy (he´s online atm): He posted this: https://github.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/jackjack-21053

good luck!
October 14, 2016, 06:44:05 AM
Maybe this: (2nd post)

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/corrupted-encrypted-walletdat-possible-to-recover-1404609

It´s the same way you posted on op, but maybe you ll find a mistake in your command or a hint to solve

I've tried to use the pywallet utility, i've also tried to recover keys from a new working NMC encrypted wallet but for some reason pywallet doesn't seem to work with NMC wallets at all, corrupted or not.
October 14, 2016, 06:34:03 AM
Do you know what may have caused the damage?
Is your HDD slowly dying?

The NMC client and the encrypted wallet were stored inside the encrypted Ubuntu home directory of a linux installation running inside a virtualbox virtual machine.  
Last month i decided to format my computer, before doing that i copied the virtual machine file .vdi on an external NTFS hard disk.
At some point the fu.cking linux showed the copy process as completed, the .vdi file was shown inside the external HD and i stupidly decided to unplug the USB and format my computer.
When i later tried to restore the .vdi file, i remount the external HD with the backup and i found out the .vdi file i needed was not there anymore, it has never been copied apparently.
I did a recovery of the ext HD with photorec, it has found some .eCryptfs files that i succesfully mounted and decrypted.
Now amongst these files i have found 1 that is very similar to an NMC encrypted wallet but it has only 8 "ckeyA" strings inside instead of >100 so i think i have my severely damaged NMC wallet.
I couldn't find the mkey record inside that file which i don't know if necessary to decrypt btw, can i recover some private keys from what is left of my original wallet?  

PS: before you suggest, trying a recovery from the original HD is impossible at this point, i formatted my computer more then one time and at some point i've also filled my hard disk with new data.

Activity: 531
Merit: 500
October 14, 2016, 06:13:01 AM
Maybe this: (2nd post)

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/corrupted-encrypted-walletdat-possible-to-recover-1404609

It´s the same way you posted on op, but maybe you ll find a mistake in your command or a hint to solve
October 14, 2016, 05:50:53 AM
BTW i found  8 "ckeyA" strings inside my wallet, the problem is my wallet is encrypted and i don't know how to extract the private keys from those fragments of text and i don't even know if that's all i need, together with the wallet password, to restore at least those 8 private keys.
Pages:
Jump to: