Pages:
Author

Topic: [BOUNTY] Electrum Firefox Extension - page 2. (Read 6969 times)

ffe
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
July 15, 2012, 04:42:49 AM
...Perhaps I should also add a way of opening the Options page from the popup?

No need. Everything is there and intuitive once I knew to look for options. Thanks.
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
July 15, 2012, 01:40:17 AM
Thanks!

- I like the naming of receive keys. (Wish I could figure out how to retrieve a receive key by name at a later time.)
 - Was not clear if I had to save the initial randomness to restore a wallet or if it can be regenerated from the password.
 - Not clear what server it is using to handle the blockchain.
 - Send is taking a while - I think because I'm playing with tiny amounts of coin. Wish I could add a miner fee to speed things up.

If you right-click on the extension icon and click "Options", it should open up a tab that addresses these. Perhaps I should also add a way of opening the Options page from the popup?

- Was not clear if I had to save the initial randomness to restore a wallet or if it can be regenerated from the password.

The initial randomness (the seed) is crypto-random, and optionally encrypted with AES using a passphrase, so yes, you need both the characters you see and the password (you can see them again in the Seed tab of the Options page).
ffe
July 15, 2012, 12:57:23 AM
Hi all,

I've published an initial release of a Chrome Extension to manage a bitcoin wallet in most ways similar to the Electrum client. So far I've been the only one testing it, so I'd appreciate some initial feedback. The extension is available here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hfdeddmpdncodjalbadbanlcombfeoll/

The code is on github here: https://github.com/andreyf/electrum-wallet-chrome-extension. I haven't decided on a license, but it'll probably be GPLv3.

I would appreciate any criticism/feedback you might have. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

Cheers,
Andrey

Just tried it. Receive worked. Currently waiting on a send. Very bare-bones but I like it.
Comments:
 - I like the naming of receive keys. (Wish I could figure out how to retrieve a receive key by name at a later time.)
 - I like the password requirement to send.
 - Not clear what server it is using to handle the blockchain.
 - Send is taking a while - I think because I'm playing with tiny amounts of coin. Wish I could add a miner fee to speed things up.

Very nicely done!
July 14, 2012, 07:49:09 PM
Hi all,

I've published an initial release of a Chrome Extension to manage a bitcoin wallet in most ways similar to the Electrum client. So far I've been the only one testing it, so I'd appreciate some initial feedback. The extension is available here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hfdeddmpdncodjalbadbanlcombfeoll/

The code is on github here: https://github.com/andreyf/electrum-wallet-chrome-extension. I haven't decided on a license, but it'll probably be GPLv3.

I would appreciate any criticism/feedback you might have. Feel free to reply here or e-mail me at [email protected].

Cheers,
Andrey
June 14, 2012, 10:37:25 PM
(note: it is also possible to export the wallet as a json object; it is trivial to adapt the python client to read json)

ThomasV: could you implement import/export via JSON in the next version of the Electrum client? As you say, it shouldn't be too hard...
June 14, 2012, 06:29:58 PM
Note that a big part of the work has already been done by Joric (see http://brainwallet.org/) : his brainwallet code can generate Electrum addresses and sign transactions. What needs to be done is the jsonrpc communication with Electrum servers, packaging the whole thing as a Firefox extension.

To anyone working on this, I cleaned up the address generation code to be a bit easier to understand. You can get it here: https://gist.github.com/2933373
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
June 10, 2012, 06:25:41 AM
one month has elapsed! two more months to go..

several developers have expressed interest in this project.
it is still time to add a donation and increase the bounty!
legendary
June 03, 2012, 02:07:27 AM
- the client should use the Electrum deterministic address generation and mnemonics. It must be able to read/write the wallet on disk, using the same file format.

Could you explain the reasoning behind this? Will you be editing or accessing the wallet file directly on the filesystem? Browser extensions usually don't write to the filesystem, and actually can't in any browser but Firefox, where it gets a bit hairy since paths are platform-dependent. Would it be acceptable to write the file to localStorage (which is saved on the filesystem)?

yes it is acceptable to use localstorage.
the idea is that users should not be stuck with the extension;
the "restore from seed" procedure should be identical, and users should be able to export their wallet in a format that is read by the python client.

(note: it is also possible to export the wallet as a json object; it is trivial to adapt the python client to read json)
June 03, 2012, 02:01:12 AM
- the client should use the Electrum deterministic address generation and mnemonics. It must be able to read/write the wallet on disk, using the same file format.

Could you explain the reasoning behind this? Will you be editing or accessing the wallet file directly on the filesystem? Browser extensions usually don't write to the filesystem, and actually can't in any browser but Firefox, where it gets a bit hairy since paths are platform-dependent. Would it be acceptable to write the file to localStorage (which is saved on the filesystem)?
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
June 01, 2012, 03:56:51 PM
will the packages be signed? by who?

it depends on how the extension is distributed.
note that we currently have the same problem with windows builds.

yes,... and android, I guess, right?

It's still unclear (as talked about on irc quite a while back) to me as to how package trust can be established. Surely you can't oversee / facilitate production of the packages for all the platforms and you're currently not the producer of the windows binaries, right? There also are no android packages as of now, correct?

sorry to have veered a little off-topic, bit this issue is nagging in the back of my head.

No problem, it is indeed an important issue.
Note that the problem is a bit different for source code and compiled versions.

For the bitcoin-qt client, binaries are compiled independently by several developers, and they check that they get the same result (they publish a hash of the compiled file). It would be nice to have that kind of check for the Windows binaries of Electrum.

That's not a bad idea. You need at least 2 packagers per platform for that to work and some mechanism by which a rogue packager can be prevented to distribute his "alternative version". I doubt you'll get the users to compare hashes from different sources, so there has to be some instance or collaborative effort to do that?

In addition, it would be good if the hashes would be published on a different website than the sitethat distributes the packages or binaries. (in case the site gets hacked)

maybe put them in the blockchain somehow?
legendary
June 01, 2012, 01:57:08 PM

It's still unclear (as talked about on irc quite a while back) to me as to how package trust can be established. Surely you can't oversee / facilitate production of the packages for all the platforms and you're currently not the producer of the windows binaries, right? There also are no android packages as of now, correct?

sorry to have veered a little off-topic, bit this issue is nagging in the back of my head.

No problem, it is indeed an important issue.
Note that the problem is a bit different for source code and compiled versions.

For the bitcoin-qt client, binaries are compiled independently by several developers, and they check that they get the same result (they publish a hash of the compiled file). It would be nice to have that kind of check for the Windows binaries of Electrum.

In addition, it would be good if the hashes would be published on a different website than the sitethat distributes the packages or binaries. (in case the site gets hacked)
donator
June 01, 2012, 01:36:54 PM

legendary
June 01, 2012, 09:36:46 AM

donator
June 01, 2012, 09:25:43 AM
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
May 26, 2012, 06:25:18 PM
interesting.....
ffe
May 21, 2012, 06:05:29 PM
track
legendary
May 21, 2012, 11:59:08 AM
I applaud this effort, so much so I am willing to make add a 10 BTC bounty for a Google Chrome 'app' in the same style as the Firefox one.

Edit: To claim this bounty, the FF one must be first claimed to ThomasV's satisfaction.

I join this with a pledge of 5BTC generally, and add an extra 10BTC to the pledge if this is implemented for Safebit.

Safebit is currently a Chrome app, does this work for you, da2ce7? Smiley

I am not sure to understand what you mean...
Safebit is currently a chrome frontend to bitcoind.
Are you proposing to extend it so that it works with an Electrum server? that would be terrific
Eli
Activity: 128
Merit: 100
May 21, 2012, 11:45:10 AM
I applaud this effort, so much so I am willing to make add a 10 BTC bounty for a Google Chrome 'app' in the same style as the Firefox one.

Edit: To claim this bounty, the FF one must be first claimed to ThomasV's satisfaction.

I join this with a pledge of 5BTC generally, and add an extra 10BTC to the pledge if this is implemented for Safebit.

Safebit is currently a Chrome app, does this work for you, da2ce7? Smiley
legendary
May 21, 2012, 08:50:20 AM
Clarification:

the extension has to read/write the wallet on disk.
this does not mean that the wallet has to reside on the path used by other clients; it can be in your .firefox directory

legendary
May 14, 2012, 02:47:01 PM
bump again!
please participate!

A Firefox wallet addon would be as easy to use as a web wallet, with the security and availability of Electrum!
Pages:
Jump to: