Pages:
Author

Topic: [Boxing] Jake Paul vs Ben Askren on April 17 - page 11. (Read 2951 times)

Activity: 2954
Merit: 605
Honestly, I don't know Ben Askren, I've never seen him fight before, maybe he is not popular.
I'll go check his youtube video if he has but I've seen Jake Paul fight already last year, and he has a skills in boxing against a non professional boxer.

Seems like Jake Paul like his brother is using their popularity and taking advantage on making easy money on exhibition fights.
I'm gonna watch this one, I'll find a way because I'm not gonna pay for the PPV.
Activity: 2324
Merit: 175
Ben Askren fighting again? this time a hype Jake Paul? doesn't make sense except for the huge money that will be generated by this two hype fighters.What they can do is fight in their social media accounts.

I don't like this so called fighting for exhibition or for the money, those are not for the legacy like Floyd Mayweather which started this whole cross over fights.

They are just here to entertain us, give them a chance to entertain us I like Jake Paul training in boxing he can give us surprise us, this is his biggest test against a veteran fighter, but I don't think he can do what he did to Nate Robinson, he is in for a serious fight and he could be in big trouble.
Activity: 2842
Merit: 772
After that Mayweather and Mcgregor fight, we see such things are becoming popular to the people and not only that, some basketball players have joined the trend as well but as we can see it's not really fit for them. Whatever sports you are good at, you should stick with that so that you will improve more or gather more experience to teach it to the youngster. Don't follow the steps with these guys, they are just simply making stupid things with their unwise decisions.

Well that is Floyd and Conor, that time there are hype surrounding this two fighters, Floyd being the boxing's best fighter, no defeat at all, and Conor so brandish and trash talker and really can sell the fights.

But this two? a faded UFC fighter who become the meme after his 5 seconds lost to Masvidal? And Jake Paul, who I'm not familiar with except when he entered the ring. So I'll pass on this one.
Activity: 1414
Merit: 542
Ben Askren fighting again? this time a hype Jake Paul? doesn't make sense except for the huge money that will be generated by this two hype fighters.What they can do is fight in their social media accounts.

I don't like this so called fighting for exhibition or for the money, those are not for the legacy like Floyd Mayweather which started this whole cross over fights.
Activity: 2184
Merit: 585
You own the pen
After that Mayweather and Mcgregor fight, we see such things are becoming popular to the people and not only that, some basketball players have joined the trend as well but as we can see it's not really fit for them. Whatever sports you are good at, you should stick with that so that you will improve more or gather more experience to teach it to the youngster. Don't follow the steps with these guys, they are just simply making stupid things with their unwise decisions.

Activity: 1162
Merit: 450
What is happening to the world of sports now? why do we have a lot of clown who try to ruined the reputation of the sport?

Dude since there had been a pandemic, some popular people really just wanted to have an entertainment, especially with the fact that the pandemic had affected the Boxing fights and the hype turns a little less compared to what it really was. It is not really ruining the reputation lol Boxing itself is a form of entertainment, and not limited to certain fighters alone.

This fight is still hilarious. 2 popular trashtalkers would fight for money and I somehow find this entertaining as its hype makes me laugh -- especially how those two would be trash talking each other. In fact, this kind of fights shouldn't be taken seriously. It's like you're watching an exhibition game yet you've think it is on the olympics. Chill guys, this is just for fun, either you bet and pay to watch or not, nothing changes in the boxing world.
Activity: 3038
Merit: 592
BTC to the MOON in 2019
What is happening to the world of sports now? why do we have a lot of clown who try to ruined the reputation of the sport?
A youtuber fighting an ex MMA fighter, I don't like what I'm seeing anymore, sorry, but I feel like they are trying to make a circus in the sports just to make money.
(.....)
Indeed. This is also I thought at first. I remember Conor Mcgregor when he fought Mayweather inside the boxing ring, purely entertainment and dramas. Equal to pure tons of money.

But if we only talk about this fight, I rather go for Jake Paul here inside the boxing ring against Askren, even Jake Paul got still few bouts. Atleast, Jake Paul already got experienced on boxing. 2-0 records for Jake Paul on starting his boxing career is already quite good.

Suddenly boxing has become a Wrestling match where everything can be scripted, the passion in boxing is gone, it's only now because of the money.
The problem is we are still supporting them, I know they are good in marketing but we should be smart in supporting our favorite sport and that is to keep its reputation.

We can't stop these promoters but if we will not support them, they will eventually stop as no one would promote if they are not profiting on it.

I'm wishing I would not see more like this.
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 1476
Come on Ben, dont be a joke. This is not yours. There are more different ways to earn. Dont copy/paste Mayweather vs Logan Paul fight (even copy/pasted opponent name lol).

What do we know about Jake Paul - YouTuber, actor, social media influencer, entrepreneur, rapper, professional boxer. A rapper… Does Mayweather rap ? Cheesy

Ben, if Jake Paul sends you to sleep, you will be humiliated till the end of your life.
Activity: 2660
Merit: 551
it started with Mcgregor now everybody is crossing already. i guess it must be tough for Askren after the terrible loss with just a few seconds lol. but he must have thought seriously about it and after all, he won't be hit by a flying knee in the sports of boxing. boxing isn't easy at all boxing gloves are heavy and for a first-timer, 8 rounds must be exhausting.

Yes, McGregor is the one who started this kind of fights and set the precedent.

And now everyone wants to do it, specially if their career is over in MMA, like Ben Askren. He really can't get over it mentality, leading to the fight there are a lot of trash talking between him and Masvidal. And then he gets knockout cold in 5 seconds.

how much is he going to profit from this fight?

Probably in the 6 digits figures, we don't know what the purse split is, maybe 50/50, still good money for him after he left UFC.
Activity: 1344
Merit: 540
Ben Askren needs this win after that knock out loss against Masvidal and he must win convincingly and in a good fashion to increase his value, that two losses is huge to pull down his career and this win although not enough to get his former aura back but at least he is back in his fighting form if he wins convincingly both fighters needs this win and I hope they give us a good fight.

Nah, he is finished with his UFC career, to be able to get back, he should fight UFC fighters and not this so called youtube sensation. And this is very wrong for him, yes that lost against Masvidal is brutal, but he can't get his former aura if he chooses to make a come back fight against a non UFC. This is a circus fight as other guys have been saying.
legendary
Activity: 3178
Merit: 1054
it started with Mcgregor now everybody is crossing already. i guess it must be tough for Askren after the terrible loss with just a few seconds lol. but he must have thought seriously about it and after all, he won't be hit by a flying knee in the sports of boxing. boxing isn't easy at all boxing gloves are heavy and for a first-timer, 8 rounds must be exhausting.

how much is he going to profit from this fight?
Activity: 1554
Merit: 413
....I think Ben Askren could win the fight with his toughness, durability, aggressiveness and pace.
Jake Paul can use all that Askren toughness by making his face a human punching bag. He's got a good jab and a good trainer in Shane.

Ben can close the distance for sure but I doubt he can land a solid punch. He is also getting older and he doesn't have the same tough chin like he used to as a younger fighter.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 254
Is this fight for charity? If yes, I'll support it. If not, I hope nobody buys tickets/PPVs.

The charity is Jake Paul so in a way yes, if you feeling generous then feel free.   If you want to watch serious boxing then skip but this is about memes and general interest from a section of viewers who wouldnt even watch boxing normally I think.   If they can get the views and justify the show then I'm not surprised its a reoccuring theme.

I recommend you dont watch this video as its mostly nonsense but related; I never went looking to find this, literally the publicity for this fight came to me and its appeared on my feed (Im not a subscriber or fan of any of them).  So the build up and sales for this already began, I'd guess its going to make money for people organising it  : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkhsFGswWNA&feature=emb_title

3,431,319 views•Jan 24, 2021

This is another stupid match that I don't want to see, but apparently gets a lot of interest. Nobody would have ever been interested in Jake Paul if his brother was not Logan Paul.
 Also Ben Askren doesn't really ring a bell to me, guess he is not famous enoug lol  Grin.
STT
legendary
Activity: 4060
Merit: 1448
Is this fight for charity? If yes, I'll support it. If not, I hope nobody buys tickets/PPVs.

The charity is Jake Paul so in a way yes, if you feeling generous then feel free.   If you want to watch serious boxing then skip but this is about memes and general interest from a section of viewers who wouldnt even watch boxing normally I think.   If they can get the views and justify the show then I'm not surprised its a reoccuring theme.

I recommend you dont watch this video as its mostly nonsense but related; I never went looking to find this, literally the publicity for this fight came to me and its appeared on my feed (Im not a subscriber or fan of any of them).  So the build up and sales for this already began, I'd guess its going to make money for people organising it  : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkhsFGswWNA&feature=emb_title

3,431,319 views•Jan 24, 2021
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1860
This is what I've been talking about. I guess we will have to be looking forward to more of this kind of boxing matches in the future, and worse, classified under the professional category.

This is what happened to boxing because of several precedents which somehow got the interest of a lot of people, but probably lesser among avid boxing fans.

Triller's Tyson vs. Jones Jr. exhibition fight for the sake of charity was no problem to me. But then the kind of matches such as the one featuring the ex-NBA player Robinson vs. the Youtuber Paul, Mayweather vs. Conor, Mayweather vs. Tenshin, the upcoming Mayweather vs. Logan, and probably more of such kind in the future are of poor taste to me. I mean, if this is the type of boxing matches that will be promoted in the future primarily because the money is there, I don't know if the sport is still as interesting as before.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353
A youtuber fighting an ex MMA fighter, I don't like what I'm seeing anymore, sorry, but I feel like they are trying to make a circus in the sports just to make money.
(.....)
Indeed. This is also I thought at first. I remember Conor Mcgregor when he fought Mayweather inside the boxing ring, purely entertainment and dramas. Equal to pure tons of money.

Yes, we can attribute the bad effect to those two, however, this youtube influencer or sensation brought it to the next level of making money out of this contact sports (boxing, MMA).

But if we only talk about this fight, I rather go for Jake Paul here inside the boxing ring against Askren, even Jake Paul got still few bouts. Atleast, Jake Paul already got experienced on boxing. 2-0 records for Jake Paul on starting his boxing career is already quite good.

On paper 2-0 record is good for non boxing fighter. But we have to remember that Askren has the experienced in the ring, might be grappling but still he is going to be one hard nut to crack. Jake Paul knock outs a ex NBA player who obviously, didn't know about boxing and it is not his sport.
Activity: 2632
Merit: 833

Yeah, this is sort of ridiculous know, so called cross over boxer, now it's becoming a Youtube sensation vs any known boxer or MMA figther.

A youtuber fighting an ex MMA fighter, I don't like what I'm seeing anymore, sorry, but I feel like they are trying to make a circus in the sports just to make money. They use their popularity to influence their followers so they can get some money by supporting their fight. Unreal, the Logan brothers are really focus on boxing now than on their youtube channel.

Yea, not buying into this, this is really becoming a circus and a joke. They already making tons of money from YouTube and still engaging this kind of fights to a well known name in MMA (although Askren has no longer that hype).

The set up is now different, start making yourself popular in youtube so you can be a boxer.  Roll Eyes

True, not going to support this fight regardless if this is an exhibition or not.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1354
(.....)

legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1104

ESPN and Ariel Helwani just announced that Jake Paul will be fighting ex UFC/MMA fighter Ben Askren in eight round pro boxing match on April 17
I have no idea why Ben Askren would accept this match, because he was never known as a fighter with great boxing skills, and he was more known for his wrestling and grappling.

Fight is organized by Triller, same company that was promoting latest Mike Tyson fight against Roy Jones Junior.

Ben Askren UFC record 19-2
Jake Paul boxing record 2-0

I feel like an air quote should be added when they said pro boxing match since the first fighter has had 2 fights and the other is an ex MMA fighter. it should never be called a pro boxing when one of the fighters is an amateur in boxing. that being said at least this fight will be a lot more interesting than a fight between a veteran boxer and an amateur boxer.

never knew jake paul already had boxing fights I thought he was still thinking about entering boxing.
Activity: 2814
Merit: 911
Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe
ESPN and Ariel Helwani just announced that Jake Paul will be fighting ex UFC/MMA fighter Ben Askren in eight round pro boxing match on April 17
I have no idea why Ben Askren would accept this match, because he was never known as a fighter with great boxing skills, and he was more known for his wrestling and grappling.
I have no idea what Ben Askren is trying to accomplish here as he never had a great stand up boxing, but he had great ground and pound as his game plan is all about taking the opponent down and smothering on the ground and he was successful throughout his career. When he came to the UFC his hip was messed up big time and after retirement he had some major surgery to rectify them and now he wanted to box  Grin.
Pages:
Jump to: