Pages:
Author

Topic: Braiins OS & Braiins OS+ custom ASIC firmware: optimize performance & efficiency - page 17. (Read 45039 times)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0
Hello.I have big broblem with no sensors found on BrainOs on my s9 miners.Is no sensors found  bug from BrainOs or sensors are really faulty?And if it is a bug does anyone has info will BrainOs fix it?
Activity: 139
Merit: 46
i think he might be looking for the install to nand option once booted from sd card  , 

change jumper 4 (closest to the edge of the board) that will make it boot from sd,

once booted , run an ip scanner , advanced ip scanner is free ,

find ip , use root as user and root as password , once in brains one of the

drop down menus will have install to nand option click that ,

once installed , change jumper back and take sd card out ,

then power cycle
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
How can i upgrade with sd card. I was try 5 time and i cant upgrade braiins os. Give me sd card download link.

I don't know what are you trying to do. If its installed into NAND, you can simply upgrade by refreshing packages and installing firmware.

I haven't tried, but if you are running from SD, the same thing could work, not sure if there is enough space. Else simply download the newer image and reflash the sd card.

As shown in the official documentation page, images are always at https://feeds.braiins-os.org/

Latest S9 image is still from June: https://feeds.braiins-os.org/braiins-os_am1-s9_sd_2019-06-05-0-0de55997.img
Activity: 378
Merit: 11
How can i upgrade with sd card. I was try 5 time and i cant upgrade braiins os. Give me sd card download link.
legendary
I had thought that I read somewhere that BOS could adjust the frequency on every chip. Unfortunately, after reading all 32 (?) pages here and searching, I cannot find that again. Can someone enlighten me on where this is in the web interface. I've installed it, can only find where I can set just the voltage / frequency per board.

And (this may sound snooty - but it's not meant to be) any other actual documentation for the using (not installing) of BOS? Especially from a not-so-much-unix persons view for parameter files and command line directives.

No it doesn't. You can manually set the frequencies and voltages per hash board, and that's it. The usage is similar to the factory firmware, you just set the pool you want it to mine to, and that's it. You cannot get any simpler than that.

Ideally you should lower the voltages to find the optimum efficiency, this take many tries until you find the lowest setting the hashboard still works without deviating too much from its intended hashrate.

The official documentation is here: https://docs.braiins-os.org/
Activity: 9
I had thought that I read somewhere that BOS could adjust the frequency on every chip. Unfortunately, after reading all 32 (?) pages here and searching, I cannot find that again. Can someone enlighten me on where this is in the web interface. I've installed it, can only find where I can set just the voltage / frequency per board.

And (this may sound snooty - but it's not meant to be) any other actual documentation for the using (not installing) of BOS? Especially from a not-so-much-unix persons view for parameter files and command line directives.
legendary
I have 100+ S9 miners from different batches starting from 2016 and ending with 2019 s9j/s9k models.  So i can compare them. by the way, BOS still not showing chip temp on some S9 models from 2016/2017 batches.

Bitmain FW has temp cut value close to 110C, why BOS set 95C is not clear for me, my miners work for years in summer over 100C without issues.

At the end, bitmain fw stops mining process when you hit 110C, but BOS just restarts miner when you are close to 95C = which leads to infinite miner restarts - which kills hashboards also. So this is real problem which should be addressed.

Did you not notice that there are two groups of sensors, and the older Bitmain firmware only used one of them? (the ones that show the higher temps). One comes from sensor on board, the other from sensor on chip.

Something they send to their driver probably manages to stop the hashing. This is worth reverse engineering, since the units can't truly be turned off (and people frequently request this). bOS just resets cgminer, but maybe it could also be made to reset frequencies (or lower them to 200mhz or such). This is also an interesting proposal to make, it would be a mitigation for when bad things ™ happen as they probably lack knowing what it is Bitmain does to stop hashing on boards (some sort of halt command that requires a hard reset).
I have 100+ S9 miners from different batches starting from 2016 and ending with 2019 s9j/s9k models.  So i can compare them. by the way, BOS still not showing chip temp on some S9 models from 2016/2017 batches.

Bitmain FW has temp cut value close to 110C, why BOS set 95C is not clear for me, my miners work for years in summer over 100C without issues.

At the end, bitmain fw stops mining process when you hit 110C, but BOS just restarts miner when you are close to 95C = which leads to infinite miner restarts - which kills hashboards also. So this is real problem which should be addressed.

yep , would like the temp increased
Activity: 159
Merit: 12

legendary
I'm using brains OS for about an year, want to say thank you to developers. it is pretty stable OS.

the issues that should be addressed ASAP:

1. temp cut on 95C - it is not good, as under high overclock it is ok to run 95-100C, so this should be tunable from GUI:  "fan-dangerous-temp":"100"
default should be: 100C

2. the same as above but for "no-sensor-scan":true - should be a checkbox in GUI

3. in case some hashboard failed the order of OC settings are shifted, Example:

if i set:

board#0 = 750 freq 8.8V
board#1 = 700 freq 9.0V
board#2 = 725 freq 8.9V

if board#1 - failed then board#2 will get "700 freq 9.0V" settings from board#1 - this is incorrect and brings problems on healthy boards. please fix this asap.

Actually the presets are just rough guesstimates. Not all S9s are the same, certainly not all hashboards, not even from the same batch and model.

In my opinion, they wanted to go err in the safe side. It would be nice if they added those config options to the gui, but its not the end of the world. These are the types of settings that if you cannot bother to edit a simple text file to change, maybe you shouldn't mess with them in the first place. If it were me, i would even remove the ability to change frequencies from the web UI so be glad...

"high overclock" as you call it, is actually less efficient than a good underclock. bOS is very manual config oriented and it lets you do whatever, but you are really nitpicking here.

Most people should not be overclocking, period. 95°C seems to work fine for hundreds of units in a tropical 40°C ish ambient temp location, only a few units with buggy sensor readings need the setting changed, same as with "no sensors scan" which is an overkill choice only for very specific situations. Most people should NOT be using those.

Only your third issue looks important for consideration in my opinion, but i'm not sure much can be done about it. Perhaps reset frequencies to default if the number of hashboards change?. I don't think each hashboard has an unique ID they could use to prevent that. If there is, maybe this could be addressed.

And remember, nothing in bOS is changing until after bosminer is fully released to replace the (abandoned) cgminer, and only then would the work (hopefully) restart for new hardware and features...
Hi,
does anyone know, how can i set the frequency below 200 MHz?

when i underclock them i can only get it to go to 200,

do you want a command to shut  off cg miner and put the fans to lowest pwm setting ?
Activity: 159
Merit: 12
I'm using brains OS for about an year, want to say thank you to developers. it is pretty stable OS.

the issues that should be addressed ASAP:

1. temp cut on 95C - it is not good, as under high overclock it is ok to run 95-100C, so this should be tunable from GUI:  "fan-dangerous-temp":"100"
default should be: 100C

2. the same as above but for "no-sensor-scan":true - should be a checkbox in GUI

3. in case some hashboard failed the order of OC settings are shifted, Example:

if i set:

board#0 = 750 freq 8.8V
board#1 = 700 freq 9.0V
board#2 = 725 freq 8.9V

if board#1 - failed then board#2 will get "700 freq 9.0V" settings from board#1 - this is incorrect and brings problems on healthy boards. please fix this asap.
Activity: 1
Hi,
does anyone know, how can i set the frequency below 200 MHz?
legendary
Hello there..
 Been testing this fw some and i do love it! But i seem to get error as i have see one had also but i cant found the answer to it what to do...
 daemon.err cgminer[26603]
 daemon.err cgminer[29394]

Right now im using 2 Antminer s9 and both gives same error but code is different. I try to look online but not found any help Sad
THX

Some error is occurring but that number is not what you think it is (don't bother searching online) this is the Process ID, in Linux when you start a program (ie. cgminer) it gets a Process ID number assigned, then after closing and reopening it gets another. All Linux process always have one of those, usually under 32768 then it goes back to nearly 1, as long as its not occupied with another process...
Activity: 4
Not too sure if this is the correct place to post but i'm using braiins OS and Antminer S9 with a xilinx board and have a problem that after x amount of time the miner either
a) stops hashing completely when fans are turned to automatic - returns to normal after rebooting
b) hash drops to below normal ( 5k - 8k ) while normal is 13k/h - returns to normal after rebooting
Both times after reboot it works for about a day and then same thing occurs.
System log below.  This happened with Bitmain fw as well but was unable to change fan speeds there so it stoped hashing completely. Tried a different controller board and same thing is happening.
What can be wrong ? Fans ? Hash board sensors ?  If hash board sensors then disabling the sensors withing braiins OS is the only solution ? Is it possible to edit cgminer.conf without SSH like from web ui ?
Thanks for any help !

[...]

Hi. Did you get any help on this daemon err? I got about the same but different codes.

Hello there..
Been testing this fw some and i do love it! But i seem to get error as i have see one had also but i cant found the answer to it what to do...

Code:
 daemon.err cgminer[26603]
 daemon.err cgminer[29394]

Right now im using 2 Antminer s9 and both gives same error but code is different. I try to look online but not found any help Sad
THX
Activity: 3
What has sensor detection anything to do with the presence of fans? The correct option is min-fans":"0"

Leave the sensors alone if they work fine...

Thanks man, that did it Smiley
legendary
I have been using Braiins for a while now and it has been working fine with stock fans.
Now I want to use S9 underclocked with external cooling and have been adding "no-sensor-scan":true, and different variations of it to the config file but it still does not work and gives 'Last cgminer quit reason: not enough fans' .
Can somebody who has got it working without fans psot a screenshot of their cgminer.conf file please?

What has sensor detection anything to do with the presence of fans? The correct option is min-fans":"0"

Leave the sensors alone if they work fine...
I have been using Braiins for a while now and it has been working fine with stock fans.
Now I want to use S9 underclocked with external cooling and have been adding "no-sensor-scan":true, and different variations of it to the config file but it still does not work and gives 'Last cgminer quit reason: not enough fans' .
Can somebody who has got it working without fans psot a screenshot of their cgminer.conf file please?
legendary
You have to wait until they add support for T9+, its currently unsupported. This might come after bOSminer becomes stable next year.
I am using Brainns-os for my antminer S9 miner, it working fine, power consumption is very low.

But, it does not support antminer T9+, and "system.bit" no source code.

How i can get the "system.bit" for T9+? I have no idea at all, would you please supply (system.bit) to me?

thanks!thanks!thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: