Pages:
Author

Topic: [Brain Teaser] Three doors - page 3. (Read 2265 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1005
New Decentralized Nuclear Hobbit
April 02, 2015, 05:58:34 PM

Grin It's weird because it's counter-intuitive. I guess you're right in saying that most people think that it doesn't matter (not that hodling is better haha), but you can prove with a bit of simple maths that you increase your chances significantly if you switch. I won't put details, that would spoil the fun!

I know the last part, bud. Pretty everyone knows that around here.

Switch to get 2x advantage. Cheesy

Were the funds escrowed? Was it a physical bitcoin?

Revenge for asking stupid questions..
legendary
Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016
April 02, 2015, 05:35:59 PM
Yes, you should switch.

+1

It's a weird one, most people think you should hodl but switching is mathematically the best option.

How is it weird? Wink

and Most people think thinks hodling and switching has the same odds, and there is no advantage is switching.

Grin It's weird because it's counter-intuitive. I guess you're right in saying that most people think that it doesn't matter (not that hodling is better haha), but you can prove with a bit of simple maths that you increase your chances significantly if you switch. I won't put details, that would spoil the fun!
legendary
April 02, 2015, 05:28:44 PM
Yes, you should switch.

+1

It's a weird one, most people think you should hodl but switching is mathematically the best option.

How is it weird? Wink

and Most people think thinks hodling and switching has the same odds, and there is no advantage is switching.
legendary
Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016
April 02, 2015, 05:23:27 PM
Yes, you should switch.

+1

legendary
April 02, 2015, 04:52:19 PM
Switch to get 2x advantage. Cheesy

Were the funds escrowed? Was it a physical bitcoin?

Revenge for asking stupid questions..
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
April 02, 2015, 02:53:13 PM
Yes, you should switch.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035
April 02, 2015, 10:39:09 AM
If you already know about the original version of this problem please don't spoil the answer too soon, let's keep it fun, thanks Wink

Suppose that you're given the choice of three closed doors. Behind one door is 1BTC, behind the others, 1 satoshi. You pick a door, say #1, but you can't open it yet. The game master, who knows what's behind the closed doors, opens another door, say #2, which has 1 satoshi.

Then the game master asks you whether you want to pick door #3 instead of door #1.

Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?
Pages:
Jump to: