Pages:
Author

Topic: Bread Wallet now Coinbase Wallet - Help Needed - page 2. (Read 845 times)

legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
2- I used my recovery phrase to create a new wallet. I can't remember all of the exact selections I made, but I believe that I selected BIP39 path of m/0'.
This doesn't look like the result of "Detect Existing Accounts".
The results of detect existing accounts shouldn't have the derivation path " m/0' " indicated,
instead, it should either be one of the "description" in this list + the account index: github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/master/electrum/bip39_wallet_formats.json
e.g.: Non-standard legacy (account 0)

Anyways, if there's a list after using the automatic account detection, then there's more than one derivation path that contain bitcoins.
In that case, restore as much wallets as the results.
You can restore the other accounts by using the menu "File->New Restore" and select the other path for the new wallet.
Activity: 12
Merit: 12
Thanks guys for your help.

I have been successful recovering my ETH; however, regarding the BTC, I installed Electrum and haven't yet been able to recover any of my BTC from the BRD wallet.

This is roughly what has happened:

1- I installed Electrum.

2- I used my recovery phrase to create a new wallet. I can't remember all of the exact selections I made, but I believe that I selected BIP39 path of m/0'.

3- What I get is a small list of 4 transactions where all of the BTC receipts are correct, but for each receipt there is a corresponding deduction of equal value on the day following the receipt, leaving the final BTC balance equal to zero.

4- I know that the last time the BRD wallet was functioning I had some BTC in my BRD wallet. A dump of my BRD wallet activity shows that there should be some BTC there.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
MetaMask and MyEtherWallet seem to be talked about the most, but as far as I know they both run from your browser, which is a major downside.
You don't have to use MetaMask on your browser. Its application can be installed on both Android and IOS devices.
Of course, it's still a hot wallet and as you suggested, it's better if Morpheus Eberhardt uses a hardware wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
In particular, can I stop wasting time with the Coinbase Wallet at this stage and try another compatible wallet.
You can and you should. Coinbase as a company are incredibly shady and do not care about their users at all. Their wallet is closed source, has poor security, lacks many useful features, provides absolutely zero privacy, and allows Coinbase to monitor everything you do. For Bitcoin, I would suggest using Electrum as Pmalek has said above. I have no idea what is a good Ethereum wallet, but look for something reputable and open source. MetaMask and MyEtherWallet seem to be talked about the most, but as far as I know they both run from your browser, which is a major downside. A good hardware wallet would be the best trade off between ease of use and security when it comes to altcoins.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
BRD wallet does not use the standard BIP44 based derivation paths of m/xx'/0'/0', but rather the older style BIP32 paths of m/0'. Simply selecting the script type will lead to empty wallets. You either need to select the script type and then change the derivation path to m/0', or more simply just hit the "Detect existing accounts" button.
Yeah, I just noticed that by looking at https://walletsrecovery.org/. But Electrum should discover the correct path by clicking on the button we both suggested.

I don't know if BRD uses the usual m/44'/60'/0' or m/0' for Ethereum, and I can't find any clear documentation online, so you'll need to check both.
Judging by this reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/tu6nmj/brd_wallet_closed_12_word_seed_phrase_does_not/), the derivation path BRD uses for Ethereum should be the same as used by other software wallets like Trust Wallet, Coinbase, or Exodus. Those are also some options that can be tried. I don't recommend those wallets though. That reddit user recovered his ETH, but he was struggling with his BTC due to the different standard as you mentioned above.

Anybody has any suggestions? In particular, can I stop wasting time with the Coinbase Wallet at this stage and try another compatible wallet.
Check what I wrote previously and o_e_l_e_o's comments about the derivation path and you shouldn't have issues getting it to work.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

1- I followed the instructions provided on the BRD website for "Coinbase Wallet Migration".

2- After entering my passphrase, picking a username, and picking a passcode, Coinbase Wallet gave me an error saying "There was an error creating an account for you. Please wait a moment, and try again."

3- When I tried again latter, it said the username I had entered was no longer available.

4- I picked a new username; I received the same error message again.

5- I keep on getting the same error message every time that I try.

Anybody has any suggestions? In particular, can I stop wasting time with the Coinbase Wallet at this stage and try another compatible wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
Guarda Wallet and Atomic Wallet are two non-custodial wallets which support both BTC and ETH (OWNR Wallet is a 3rd but last time I checked it has some minor stability problems on Linux). However, they do not have a feature for importing derivation paths or master private keys (Atomic does let you import MPKs I think but these are specificly only for its own software.)
You should definitely be able to make a BTC and ETH transaction sending your entire balance to these wallets though, as that should always work.
legendary
After that the wallet should ask you what type of wallet you are trying to recover. Select legacy if the addresses start with a 1, nested segwit if they begin with a 3, or native segwit if they begin with bc1. There should also be a button to scan standard derivation paths if you can't figure out how to select the correct option yourself.
BRD wallet does not use the standard BIP44 based derivation paths of m/xx'/0'/0', but rather the older style BIP32 paths of m/0'. Simply selecting the script type will lead to empty wallets. You either need to select the script type and then change the derivation path to m/0', or more simply just hit the "Detect existing accounts" button.

I don't know if BRD uses the usual m/44'/60'/0' or m/0' for Ethereum, and I can't find any clear documentation online, so you'll need to check both.
legendary
Can someone please provide a safe recipe for migrating from a BRD wallet that includes both BTC and ETH to, let's say, the Coinbase Wallet or some other better noncustodial wallet?
Not sure what you mean with recipe, maybe guide or instructions.

When you created your BRD wallet, you received and hopefully wrote down your seed. That's a BIP39 seed phrase compatible with any other wallet that supports that standard. If you don't want to use Coinbase, you can import it into Electrum, for example. But Electrum only works for Bitcoin.

Only download Electrum from the official website. Verify the signatures to ensure you have the genuine software signed by Electrum developers.
After that, it's time to import your seed. Create a new wallet, give it a name, and select Standard Wallet. Select I already have a seed. In the next step, you need to click on the options and then tick on BIP 39 seed and OK. Enter your seed and click ok. After that the wallet should ask you what type of wallet you are trying to recover. Select legacy if the addresses start with a 1, nested segwit if they begin with a 3, or native segwit if they begin with bc1. There should also be a button to scan standard derivation paths if you can't figure out how to select the correct option yourself.

You can also follow this guide if you want > https://bitcoinelectrum.com/restoring-your-multibithd-wallet-in-electrum/

When it comes to your Ethereum, you can import the same seed from BRD into MetaMask, for example. I don't know the step by step instructions, but it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out by just following the on-screen instructions. You can follow a guide like this one if you want > https://medium.com/publicaio/how-import-a-wallet-to-your-metamask-account-dcaba25e558d.   

Be aware that if you do all of the above, you are going to have a seed phrase imported across 3 different hot wallets. If any of them gets hacked, the hacker would gain access to all your coins. I would recommend you to create brand-new wallets with new seed phrases in both Electrum and MetaMask. Once you have imported your wallets, move your coins from the old wallet into the new ones. Consider purchasing a hardware wallet if you hold a significant amount.
Hi,

Can someone please provide a safe recipe for migrating from a BRD wallet that includes both BTC and ETH to, let's say, the Coinbase Wallet or some other better noncustodial wallet?

Thanks in advance.
legendary
I've never used Coinbase's wallet myself, but as Pmalek says, just set the fee to 1 sat/vbyte and be patient. Provided you are not concerned about not linking specific UTXOs together, then sending everything a single transaction will be cheapest. If you do have privacy concerns regarding different UTXOs in your wallet, then I'm not sure Coinbase's wallet even supports coin control, so you'd probably have to use a different client.

According to this page (https://help.coinbase.com/en/wallet/sending-and-receiving/adjusting-miner-fees) there should be an settings button near the fees field when you make a transaction which will allow to manually set the lowest possible fee.

Also, before you use Electrum, make sure you follow the correct steps to download and verify it properly: [GUIDE] How to Safely Download and Verify Electrum [Guide]
legendary
Any suggestions or tricks which can save me tx fees and process accomplished with the minimum fee possible?
There are no tricks to Bitcoin transactions. Miners select those transactions paying the highest fees as they want their profits to be as high as possible. You have to ensure that your transaction is among those for there to be a miner incentive to include it in a block. The only way around it is if you know someone operating a mining pool who would gladly include your transaction into their block. I assume that is not the case.

At the time of writing, we have over 3.000 unconfirmed transactions. If the Coinbase wallet allows you to set your own fees, just use the minimum 1 sat/vByte. You might have to wait an hour or two for the 1st confirmation, but it doesn't matter. The transaction will confirm sooner or later unless we experience a surge in transaction fees that lasts for a while. In the last few months, 1 sat/vByte has often been enough.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 1159
So if you are considering moving to Electrum, then I would create a brand new Electrum wallet, write down your new seed phrase, and then send all your coins from Coinbase across to this new wallet.

I would consider doing this as i don't want to risk my hard earned money. Also in this migration process of moving my funds to a new Electrum wallet, i would like to safe the fee and use the minimum fee to transfer my bitcoins from non-custodial coinbase wallet to new Electrum wallet.
Any suggestions or tricks which can save me tx fees and process accomplished with the minimum fee possible?
legendary
But since i put my seed once in the coinbase wallet, i will remain at risk forever as coinbase can do anything because of closed source  Huh
Correct. Even if Bread and Coinbase were both open source, by the time you've ported the same seed phrase across three wallets (and therefore typed it in at least twice on a device with internet access), I would consider it pretty risky to keep using it. Every time you enter your seed phrase in to any wallet you increase the risk of it being compromised somehow. Ideally seed phrases should only be entered in to offline devices in the case of emergency, and not just because you fancy using a new app.

So if you are considering moving to Electrum, then I would create a brand new Electrum wallet, write down your new seed phrase, and then send all your coins from Coinbase across to this new wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 1159
I don't recommend using coinbase wallet. Because it's close-source and we don't know what's happening behind the scene.
If you have bitcoin, as suggested by dkbit98, you can use electrum for accessing your fund. Even for your altcoins, there should be many other alternatives better than coinbase.

Warning:
Download electrum only from its official website and do not forget to verify your download.

Now i am really confused as what to do. I migrated my private keys in the coinbase wallet and my funds are now appearing in the coinbase wallet.
Since you told now that it is a closed source, this means that they can have access to my private key. To keep me on the safe side, i can close my coinbase wallet and open the same wallet by importing the seed in the electrum wallet. But since i put my seed once in the coinbase wallet, i will remain at risk forever as coinbase can do anything because of closed source  Huh
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
Don't they make a portion of the transaction fees on their hot wallet ?
In the case they want to charge extra fee, they have to add an extra output to your transaction. I haven't ever made any transaction using their wallet, but I don't think they do so.
The only fee you pay when using their non-custodial wallet is the fee you pay to miners.

....................and I don't remember providing them any of my information? Maybe (likely) I'm missing something?
Now, they know your IP address and can link it with your addresses, your previous transactions and your balance.
As their wallet is close-source and we don't know what is happening behind the scene, it's also possible that your seed phrase has been stored in their server. With having your seed phrase, they can know all your private keys, public keys and addresses.

Thanks bud, I was able to move my coins off but this is good to know.  Maybe I should post it on the Bread wallet reddit sub just to let others know.
It's still better to use electrum. Recommend them to use electrum and avoid any close-source wallet, especially coinbase.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3002
i wonder how many new support tickets people will put in who are having trouble with this migration. i had a support ticket sit open for months before an actual person replied. another time they closed my support ticket without even responding, all i got was an automated message saying it had been closed. shitty company.
That's Coinbase for you. Their subreddit is permanently filled with people complaining their support ticket has been ignored for months, tickets closed without resolution, accounts locked for no reason, and so on.

Interesting that they sold out... that is one way to make money from creating a "free" wallet I suppose Undecided
The value is in your data. Bread Wallet claimed to have over 10 million users. What do Coinbase have to gain from buying them out? Many of those users would move over to Coinbase's wallet, but they don't make any money from that. Some might then go on to sign up at Coinbase, sure, but most people using Bread Wallet probably already had established accounts at various exchanges, and don't need another one, so not much money to be made there either. More exposure and brand recognition? Maybe. But the data of ~10 million users? Extremely valuable indeed, especially when that data can be linked in to Coinbase's in house blockchain analysis company, which then allows them to charge more for this larger and expanded service from all the various governments and government agencies they sell these capabilities to.

Don't they make a portion of the transaction fees on their hot wallet ? ( Sure know they do when sending coins off of their exchange, which is insane that exchanges don't allow for being able to selecting transaction speeds, but that's a whole other story).  

Now I understand what you're saying about gaining customer information, which is extremely valuable, but I downloaded the wallet just to follow the migration direction they provided and I don't remember providing them any of my information? Maybe (likely) I'm missing something?

So it turns out there is another step added to make your life easier.
In the Coinbase wallet go to advanced and then toggle BRD BTC scanning.
Seems to make it instant.

Thanks bud, I was able to move my coins off but this is good to know.  Maybe I should post it on the Bread wallet reddit sub just to let others know.
legendary
Presumably this makes the Coinbase app scan BRD's non-BIP39 derivation paths as we discussed above.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
So it turns out there is another step added to make your life easier.
Seems to make it instant.

Don't know if it was already there or added in some recent update.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 3001
The value is in your data. Bread Wallet claimed to have over 10 million users. What do Coinbase have to gain from buying them out? Many of those users would move over to Coinbase's wallet, but they don't make any money from that. Some might then go on to sign up at Coinbase, sure, but most people using Bread Wallet probably already had established accounts at various exchanges, and don't need another one, so not much money to be made there either. More exposure and brand recognition? Maybe. But the data of ~10 million users? Extremely valuable indeed, especially when that data can be linked in to Coinbase's in house blockchain analysis company, which then allows them to charge more for this larger and expanded service from all the various governments and government agencies they sell these capabilities to.
I fully subscribe this point of view as it also shares similarities with my previous comment[1] regarding this subject as well. I know this has been said before, but I say it again : The US government (mostly Homeland Security) is aiming to spend[2] - if the requirements are fulfilled by Coinbase - a total of $4,480,060 USD for the very same company that they are trying to regulate. While Coinbase bashes the governments on the outside and social networks, they are ranking up millions from the clients whose rights they so deeply care but only when they are not selling them to governmental entities.

Each and every day I advise someone regarding BTC I try my best to steer people to P2P markets. Yes the rates are a bit higher but it comes to a point that we either have to value our privacy as human beings and accept higher prices, or just be a pawn in a chess game where the King plays in both sides...

[1]https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.59665149
[2]https://techinquiry.org/explorer/vendor/coinbase%2C%20inc./
Pages:
Jump to: