Pages:
Author

Topic: Bread Wallet now Coinbase Wallet - Help Needed - page 3. (Read 845 times)

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
i wonder how many new support tickets people will put in who are having trouble with this migration. i had a support ticket sit open for months before an actual person replied. another time they closed my support ticket without even responding, all i got was an automated message saying it had been closed. shitty company.
That's Coinbase for you. Their subreddit is permanently filled with people complaining their support ticket has been ignored for months, tickets closed without resolution, accounts locked for no reason, and so on.

Interesting that they sold out... that is one way to make money from creating a "free" wallet I suppose Undecided
The value is in your data. Bread Wallet claimed to have over 10 million users. What do Coinbase have to gain from buying them out? Many of those users would move over to Coinbase's wallet, but they don't make any money from that. Some might then go on to sign up at Coinbase, sure, but most people using Bread Wallet probably already had established accounts at various exchanges, and don't need another one, so not much money to be made there either. More exposure and brand recognition? Maybe. But the data of ~10 million users? Extremely valuable indeed, especially when that data can be linked in to Coinbase's in house blockchain analysis company, which then allows them to charge more for this larger and expanded service from all the various governments and government agencies they sell these capabilities to.
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
Ahhh good ol' BRD wallet... I remember getting annoyed at that wallet years ago because the developer had implemented this thing where you had to enforce a bunch of security features on your device for the wallet to work. I don't recall the specific details but I vaguely remember it annoyed me greatly at the time because I was heavily into Android OS development/testing and it was making life difficult trying to do that and test "Bread" (as it used to be known).

Interesting that they sold out... that is one way to make money from creating a "free" wallet I suppose Undecided
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3002
So you’re saying I can use the bread wallet website and I should be able to then just move my coins off of it from there versus the app? I didn’t think there was an available website to even use. Maybe I’m miss understanding you here.
You don't need to use their website at all if you already have seed words, it's not like they are stored online or on their servers.
Transaction fees are low these days so you can even send all your coins to any other wallet address that you control, it can be software or hardware wallet of choice.
And chill out with all the hate towards Coinbase, there are much worse services and you don't have to use any of them, just ignore them.

I’m sorry but no, I will not chill out about Coinbase. They are a corrupt scumbag company who’s been pulling corrupt bullshit on their customers for years. This is yet just another example of why they are one of the worst companies on the planet and that’s not an exaggeration. I’ve called them the PayPal of Crypto for years because that’s exactly who they are. Brian is a snake who doesn’t give two shits about his customers. Spends a ridiculously little amount on customer support and I’m amazed anyone still uses them (mostly those who don’t know any better).

This bread wallet take over is a complete mess and shows exactly who they are.

Thanks everyone for the guidance, my buddy helped me move my coins off bread a few hours ago.

so this buyout was it just to try and force people using brd wallet to start using coinbase wallet? coinbase must be getting desperate for new people to jack around... Cheesy

Lol exactly

this.

also, the "if you don't like them then use another service" argument is kind of weak. you are almost forced to use them if you are in the usa. no matter if you like them or not. they should be more heavily regulated with regards to how they interact with customers to ensure customers are being provided the best possible customer service. For example, having a phone #. That should be a requirement of them. And another would be to answer fast. as it is right now, they just thumb their nose at customers and if something goes wrong all you can do is submit a support ticket and who knows how long that will take if they ever act on it at all.

i wonder how many new support tickets people will put in who are having trouble with this migration. i had a support ticket sit open for months before an actual person replied. another time they closed my support ticket without even responding, all i got was an automated message saying it had been closed. shitty company.

Nah you don’t have to use Coinbase what so ever. There are better exchanges like Kraken, Gemini and even Binance US and there’s certainly tons of hot and hard wallet options better to use than their hot wallet.

I agree with you, they need to amp up there customer services big time. However it’s not much better today than when I made my first transaction with them back in 2014, about the same level of support which is absolutely insane considering they’ve now gone public and raised billions, not to mention make billions. It’s unacceptable.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 350
And chill out with all the hate towards Coinbase, there are much worse services and you don't have to use any of them, just ignore them.
But there aren't that many which buy out a wallet, stop that wallet from working, tell people to import their seed phrase to a specific wallet, but offer no guidance to the fact that the derivation paths are different, the importing won't work properly, that people are free to choose other wallets, and ignore all the users asking for help on Reddit and Twitter. This whole situation has been particularly shitty on Coinbase's part.

this.

also, the "if you don't like them then use another service" argument is kind of weak. you are almost forced to use them if you are in the usa. no matter if you like them or not. they should be more heavily regulated with regards to how they interact with customers to ensure customers are being provided the best possible customer service. For example, having a phone #. That should be a requirement of them. And another would be to answer fast. as it is right now, they just thumb their nose at customers and if something goes wrong all you can do is submit a support ticket and who knows how long that will take if they ever act on it at all.

legendary
Is there no way to search through say a thousand derivation paths of a seed quickly for balance?  Maybe there are a few default ones as you say, would be helpful to have a list for future reference and if others here are confronted with the same issue, maybe they get to find their path by themselves and chime in here.
There are multiple ways you can try.

Importing the seed phrase to Electrum and selecting "Detect existing accounts" as we discussed above will find the most common ones.

You can also extract your master public key and paste it in to this website: https://blockpath.com/wallets/local/101?action=appxpub. The problem with this is that since it uses a master public key, you cannot derive any hardened paths and so it is of very limited use for scanning a master public key from a seed phrase. Rather, it would be good for scanning an extended public key from a level already after the hardened paths, such as at m/44'/0'/0'.

There is this website which tells you the derivation paths for many of the most common wallets: https://walletsrecovery.org/

Alternatively you can stick you seed phrase in to an offline version of https://iancoleman.io/ and generate any derivation paths you like. This is only really useful if you know the address you are looking for though, since otherwise you would need to import every address you generate in to a wallet to check for balance.
Activity: 756
Merit: 1723
Crypto Swap Exchange
so this buyout was it just to try and force people using brd wallet to start using coinbase wallet? coinbase must be getting desperate for new people to jack around... Cheesy
It is rather a very bad move on their side.  Will bring some new users to their Coinbase wallet but is forcefully moving Bread users to Coinbase going to work as they plan?  Because I doubt so.  People tend to reject an idea when it becomes enforced.  In fact, they even tend to do the opposite.

I used Bread myself and it was a good wallet.  But I always had some reticence to whatever Coinbase has created.  Now I am even more disgusted by their doings.

1st is that it looks like they did not get the derivation path correct. Which seems odd, since it IS working for some. So along those lines is it just checking a lot of paths to find funds.
Is there no way to search through say a thousand derivation paths of a seed quickly for balance?  Maybe there are a few default ones as you say, would be helpful to have a list for future reference and if others here are confronted with the same issue, maybe they get to find their path by themselves and chime in here.

-
Regards,
PrivacyG
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
From what I am seeing there are 2 issues going on.

1st is that it looks like they did not get the derivation path correct. Which seems odd, since it IS working for some. So along those lines is it just checking a lot of paths to find funds.

the 2nd and this is a guess is that it's really slow to show the funds, as in stupid slow because it does not show them till it's done.

Since this is a non custodial wallet and it's only connecting to 1 set of back end servers to scan I am wondering if they are just overloaded since a lot of people saw the announcement and started migrating over the weekend.

If it's going through every derivation path and you have a lot of transactions I can see it taking forever. Which is why some people are seeing funds and others are not.

It's not like electrum where if it has as issue with server x it goes to server y. 

-Dave
legendary
But there aren't that many which buy out a wallet, stop that wallet from working, tell people to import their seed phrase to a specific wallet, but offer no guidance to the fact that the derivation paths are different, the importing won't work properly, that people are free to choose other wallets, and ignore all the users asking for help on Reddit and Twitter. This whole situation has been particularly shitty on Coinbase's part.

so this buyout was it just to try and force people using brd wallet to start using coinbase wallet?
Certainly seems that way. Buy out a competitor, shut them down, and tell everyone to migrate to your own wallet instead. If I were a BRD user the last place I would be going to is the company which shut down my perfectly functional wallet and provided no support on why I can't recover my coins properly.

If you go on to the Bread Wallet subreddit right now, it is absolutely filled with people who haven't been able to migrate across and are getting absolutely zero help or support from Coinbase

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 3001
So, Coinbase generates addresses in the standard derivation path of m/xx'/0'/0' too.
It seems that, Breadwallet is only trying to advertise Coinbase without telling users there are many other alternatives and without paying attention to the different derivation path used by Coinbase.
Thanks all for the info. Most of what you’re all saying is Chinese to me. Have to remember I’m a moron when it comes to the technical aspect of all this stuff. (...)
I think that it's obvious why Breadwallet is trying to lure existing users to the services offered by Coinbase. To me it boils down to two main reasons:

• As you stated, Coinbase bought Breadwallet for an undisclosed amount[1] (I believe we'll be able to see this on the quarterly reports?). It's funny that they state that they are interested in BRD knowledge regarding self-custody wallets but proceed to transfer all users to Coinbase services / wallets. Still, it's only understandable that Coinbase wants to literally transfer all BRD clients to their application/services instead of having a good % of users in a app of which they probably would have a more difficult path to get data from. Once they're in their system their system is fully capable of delivering them any data they want.
  • Most users that use BRD wallet (and others) fall into the category from the user above - they aren't aware of how blockchain technology works. I'm not even sure if all of them realize that if they loose their seed phrase - the ones that have access to them - they loose any possible chance of recovering their funds! Using that assumption, I really don't believe that the user base knows that they could just use those seed words in another wallet/service to claim their funds - since most of them just got into the crypto world just to reap profits, they don't care about whats beneath the "sheet".

As o_e_l_e_o stated just look at the state of Breadwallet over at Reddit[2] - I can't help but to feel bad for the thousands of users that aren't able to use Reddit or other sources of guidance and just have to rely on the support service by either Bread or Coinbase. Coinbase should have more awareness of their acts, but we all know where that conversation would leads us right o_e_l_e_o ?  Wink

[1]https://www.coindesk.com/business/2021/11/24/coinbase-acquires-crypto-wallet-firm-brd-for-undisclosed-amount/
[2]https://libreddit.spike.codes/r/BRDapp/new/
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
So you’re saying I can use the bread wallet website and I should be able to then just move my coins off of it from there versus the app? I didn’t think there was an available website to even use. Maybe I’m miss understanding you here.
You don't need to use their website at all if you already have seed words, it's not like they are stored online or on their servers.
Transaction fees are low these days so you can even send all your coins to any other wallet address that you control, it can be software or hardware wallet of choice.
legendary
So at this point my best bet is to try and use Electrum to move the coins over correct? (Using the directions provided above)
That's what I would do. Follow the instruction in hosseinimr93's post here (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.59658088), but ignore the bit about selecting a script type manually and just hit the button which says "Detect existing accounts". This should locate the correct account and allow you to then send the coins out of that wallet and over to your Trezor. If for some reason it doesn't, then come back here and we'll try something else.

You can then set up a new mobile wallet of choice and send some coins from your Trezor over to your new mobile wallet for spending on the go.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 3002
Thanks all for the info. Most of what you’re all saying is Chinese to me. Have to remember I’m a moron when it comes to the technical aspect of all this stuff. I went to my Trezor history as I recently (March 12th) sent some of the coins from a transaction (the most recent transaction and only transaction which funded the wallet at that point as it was empty before) from my Bread wallet to my Trezor. I left a few for coins on the go. I can see it came from an address that started with “bc1”. It does look to be different than the address Coinbase generates for me (though I could be mistaken as I’m not smart about all this stuff).

Just when I thought I couldn’t hate Coinbase any more.

So at this point my best bet is to try and use Electrum to move the coins over correct? (Using the directions provided above)

Thanks again guys, as you can see I’m a simpleton when it comes to this stuff who needs lots of hand holding, so it’s beyond appreciated!
legendary
So, Coinbase generates addresses in the standard derivation path of m/xx'/0'/0' too.
It seems that, Breadwallet is only trying to advertise Coinbase without telling users there are many other alternatives and without paying attention to the different derivation path used by Coinbase.
If you go on to the Bread Wallet subreddit right now, it is absolutely filled with people who haven't been able to migrate across and are getting absolutely zero help or support from Coinbase (As usual, Coinbase do not care about their customers. What a surprise! Roll Eyes)

So, from what I can tell from various posts, it seems that the Coinbase app must be scanning the m/0' derivation paths for funds. The people who have been able to migrate successfully seem to be reporting the same balances on the same addresses with no signs of any transactions, so the coins cannot have been moved from m/0' to m/xx'/0'/0'. However, it seems to be very sporadic, with some people reporting all their coins moving across, some people reporting only coins on segwit address, some reporting only on legacy addresses, and some reporting no coins at all.

There are also many posts saying the exact same thing you have above - just import to Electrum, either use "Detect existing accounts" or manually enter the m/0' derivation path, and get access to your coins that way. It seems to be the path of least resistance right now since Coinbase have done what they usually do and implemented something filled with bugs with zero testing and are now ignoring all complaints and issues.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
Bread Wallet uses m/0' as a derivation path instead of the standard m/xx'/0'/0', so manually selecting the script types in Electrum won't work unless you also specify this custom path.
So, it's really weird that they are asking users to import their wallet to Coinbase.

I imported a BIP39 seed phrase into Coinbase wallet to see what derivation path the addresses are generated on.
Coinbase wallet displayed two receiving addresses. One legacy address and one segwit address.
The legacy address was generated on the path m/44'/0'/0'/0/0 and the segwit address was generated on the path m/84'/0'/0'/0/0.

legendary
In electrum, select "Standard wallet" and then "I already have a seed". Click on "options", check "BIP39 seed" and click on "OK". Enter you seed phrase and click on "Next".
After that you need to specify the script type.
If you don't remember the character your bitcoin address start with, click on "Detect existing accounts".
This is what I would do to get your coins over to a good open source wallet. Bread Wallet uses m/0' as a derivation path instead of the standard m/xx'/0'/0', so manually selecting the script types in Electrum won't work unless you also specify this custom path. Using the "Detect existing accounts" button includes this non-standard derivation path in its search space though, so it should pick up your wallets.

If, for some reason, you still cannot find your coins after following these steps, then I would be concerned that you have an incorrect seed phrase or additional passphrase which you have forgotten. Perhaps it might be better to just set up a new wallet with a new seed phrase and sweep all your coins to it if Bread Wallet is still working, although it seems like you've missed the chance to do this.
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
I don't know what's the deal with the migration process but they mentioned this in their support page:

https://brd.com/brd-joins-coinbase
Please note that it may take up to several hours to migrate BTC and LTC funds depending upon how long ago your wallet was created and how many transactions you have made since wallet creation.

"Several hours to migrate"... If it's a straight-out non-custodial wallet, the funds should've shown-up within minutes.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
I checked the new Coinbase wallet address on block explorer and it has zero transactions showing. I tried going through this transfer process again with no luck. I even deleted the Coinbase wallet app and re-downloaded it and still same issue, nothing transfers over. You can see when opening Bread that the coins are still there.
It's possible that coinbase is generating the address on a different derivation path.
Do you remember the character your address start with on Breadwallet? If so, is that same as the first character of the address generated by coinbase?
If you don't access your address anymore, you may be able to find that somewhere else. For example, in your withdrawals history if you have purchased the coins on an exchange.

So at this point I could just use another wallet like electrum and just type in my recovery seed?
As I said in my previous post, you can import your wallet into any wallet supporting BIP39 seed phrases.
If you are trying to access your bitcoin, electrum should work. If you are trying to access your altcoins, you should use other wallets.

I will of course need more than just my recovery seed, such as my wallet address correct? If I can’t access my bread wallet address on the app anymore, how do I go about doing this? Or what else do I need to do?
No, you don't need your address. All your addresses can be derived from your seed phrase.

In electrum, select "Standard wallet" and then "I already have a seed". Click on "options", check "BIP39 seed" and click on "OK". Enter you seed phrase and click on "Next".
After that you need to specify the script type.
If you don't remember the character your bitcoin address start with, click on "Detect existing accounts".
If you remember the character your bitcoin address start with, you can select the script type, manually.

Select "Legacy" if your address(es) start with 1.
Select "p2sh-segwit" if your address(es) start with 3.
Select "native segwit" if your address(es) start with bc1.

Again, you can use electrum only for recovering your bitcoin. If you have any altcoin, you can't use electrum for them. But there are still many alternatives and you don't have to use coinbase.

Could I recover these coins via trezor, Coinomi, blockchain app, or perhaps an exchange such as Binance US, Gemini, or Kraken?
Wallets like Coinomi and blockchain (and many others) and your hardware wallet should work. But you can't use exchanges.

Very frustrating and disappointing news. I despise Coinbase and it’s typical fashion for that corrupt company to do shit like this. At least give users a bit more of a heads up. I was just using my Bread wallet like 2-3 weeks ago and now this.  Angry

In all fairness I think the BRD folks issued a heads up about this migration months ago.  Still I'm like you. Anything merging into coinbase sucks. I don't like dealing with coinbase. For example, my last support ticket was closed by them without being answered.

Now as for "coinbase wallet" itself. it does have alot of features but you shouldn't be forced to use it. the fees for some things seemed high the time i tried using it. never again.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
There is a guide on Electrum on how to restore your wallet from BRD to Electrum you can check it from this link below
- https://bitcoinelectrum.com/restoring-your-multibithd-wallet-in-electrum/

If you remember that your wallet addresses from your breadwallet are starting with 1 or legacy wallet you can get the xpub of your wallet from Electrum and use a tool to scan the right derivation path only do this if your wallet doesn't have a balance after you import the BRDwallet seed phrase backup.

Here's the tool to scan it https://blockpath.com/wallets/local/101?action=appxpub

If it found some used addresses and balances the left should show the right derivation path and recover your wallet again and use the right derivation path.
Pages:
Jump to: