Pages:
Author

Topic: BREAKING: SEC Charges pirateat40 With Running Bitcoin-Denominated Ponzi Scheme - page 11. (Read 44403 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
Unbelievable how stupid this guy is. Ripping off that much bitcoin and ending up with so little $, moving it all into the exchange at once, putting his name out there and thinking he can get away with it.

Not to mention 'pay his rent, utilities, and car-related expenses as well as for food and retail purchases and gambling'...

A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner"

Foolish fools do foolish fool things  Roll Eyes
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
Very good news Smiley finally a bit of closure whether i get my money back or not.
Activity: 938
Merit: 1009
Next up: Hashking aka Sam Theofanopoulos, 7262 W Benton Dr Frankfort, IL 60423

I really hope they go after all the PPTs and the Starfish too.
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
Unbelievable how stupid this guy is. Ripping off that much bitcoin and ending up with so little $, moving it all into the exchange at once, putting his name out there and thinking he can get away with it.

This is great news, a big slam it the face of everyone saying that agreements made over internet with "stupid internet money" can't be prosecuted. I'll be using this case for all it's worth.
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫
Is this the same as the scotaloo character? If so:

Activity: 238
KUPO!
make me nervous about my money in coinlenders now. my heart jumped when i first read it
Activity: 186
WOW! For everyone who have been following this story, this is really wow worthy news.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000
That Ponzi scheme collapsed last year. The guy behind it ripped off people for around $5 million. The SEC has charged him with a crime, which is what they're supposed do. It was a classic Ponzi scheme ("7% a month returns"); it just happened to involve Bitcoins.
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
Wow, I didn't know SEC can go after Bitcoin (and other "digital currencies")...

Oh, and this thread is a duplicate.
legendary
Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000
Extremely funny. I guess he wasn't so hard to find after all...
Activity: 154
https://www.sec.gov/servlet/Satellite/News/PressRelease/Detail/PressRelease/1370539730583#.Ue7BndLvuHO

SEC Charges Texas Man With Running Bitcoin-Denominated Ponzi Scheme
  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2013-132 Washington D.C., July 23, 2013 — The Securities and Exchange Commission today charged a Texas man and his company with defrauding investors in a Ponzi scheme involving Bitcoin, a virtual currency traded on online exchanges for conventional currencies like the U.S. dollar or used to purchase goods or services online.

The SEC alleges that Shavers, who lives in McKinney, Texas, paid 507,148 Bitcoin in investor withdrawals and purported interest payments.  He transferred at least 150,649 Bitcoin to his personal account at an online Bitcoin currency exchange.  Shavers suffered a net loss from his day trading, but realized net proceeds of $164,758 from his sales of 86,202 Bitcoin.  Shavers transferred $147,102 from his personal account at the online Bitcoin currency exchange to accounts he controlled at an online payment processor as well as his personal checking account.  He used this money to pay his rent, utilities, and car-related expenses as well as for food and retail purchases and gambling.

Full text here in case source goes down/changes.
Pages:
Jump to: