Pages:
Author

Topic: Bringing BTC to the mainstream - page 2. (Read 2267 times)

Activity: 139
Merit: 100
What's Your Gig?
July 05, 2011, 10:06:34 PM
Marketing and increasing user friendliness is all well and fine.

But, in order to attract the mainstream, there has to be a specific product/service that people want to use. (I need BTC to do X)

If there is nothing compelling to spend BTC on, it will never crack the mainstream.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
July 05, 2011, 09:06:26 PM
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?board=12.0 Maybe lol Im new here but I saw alot of techie chit chat and 00111001101 that made no sense at all so might be worth a go.

For the record I would pay a little fee to download film's etc that bit faster. If I did that kinda thing...which I dont....tinfoil hat on.
Activity: 154
July 05, 2011, 08:58:22 PM
It would definitely increase awareness if it caught on but maybe a separate thread makes sense as you say. What section of the forum would be best for that?
July 05, 2011, 08:43:01 PM
How about this, somebody creates or modifies an existing file sharing program to incorporate a BTC client. Basically you would bribe seeders with micropayments per % of the file or directory to let you jump the queue over those who bid less (or nothing). The seeder could also set a minimum bid to download. This would provide much more of an incentive to seed rare/old files, and would provide an alternative to mining for those with a lot of storage space but insufficient GPU power to mine. Of course those who host copyrighted files would have to worry about lawsuits etc, but such people take the same risk anyway for no financial gain.

That’s a nice idea but I think its missing the core of the op. I think we are talking awareness not innovation.

Actually more I think about that more I like it maybe needs to be a new thread and get some coders on it.
Activity: 154
July 05, 2011, 08:35:59 PM
How about this, somebody creates or modifies an existing file sharing program to incorporate a BTC client. Basically you would bribe seeders with micropayments per % of the file or directory to let you jump the queue over those who bid less (or nothing). The seeder could also set a minimum bid to download. This would provide much more of an incentive to seed rare/old files, and would provide an alternative to mining for those with a lot of storage space but insufficient GPU power to mine. Of course those who host copyrighted files would have to worry about lawsuits etc, but such people take the same risk anyway for no financial gain.
July 05, 2011, 08:32:53 PM
Then thats 6 months to plan and prepare. Hit the ground running man.

I would love to help but my only skill would be some graphic design that I picked up as an architecture student but still you have my pen untill you find someone better.

Build the team get them on skype do some brainstorming and all that stuff.

Give yourself some aims with dates take it on man and I'm sure you will draw the help we all need.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 500
July 05, 2011, 07:25:49 PM
Bitcoin is not ready for this yet. Before this can happen, user friendly tools for wallet security and trust need to be developed. Exchanges need to become more professional. A futures market needs to be established to stabilize prices on the side of merchants. Lots of work still to be done. Give it at least another 6 months before bitcoin is ready for Joe Average.
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
July 05, 2011, 07:15:17 PM
This is the dream if i am to understand correctly. There is an easy way for this to happen if someone were to make a commercial for it it would take off. It would have to be done in non-geekspeak though. In the land of the meek and mentally defunct (USA) where i happen to live there are alot of angry people they have no direction if you could get them to get there head around it it would benefit this whole community.

Could you imagine what would happen if Joe Couch-potato got behind this? The largest most powerful consumer economy the world has ever known suddenly falls in love with bitcoins. Think beany babies and cabbage patch kids (dating myself) times a million. While looking at the search statistics I noticed something fairly amusing. There are only a handful of states with any searches at all and those that have heavy searching for bitcoin related terms are falling off a bit. For BTC to get any traction that will be long lasting there a number of things that have to happen. Of all the things that have been mentioned like merchants accepting them and etc the most important thing has been over looked. This thing is consumer demand. Most consumers have no clue what bitcoins are or what it could mean. The very same scenario with powerhouses such as ebay amazon and paypal when they were new. Without effective marketing to develop and encourage consumer demand BTC will only ever be a niche market from geek to geek and speculator to speculator.
When the story broke about the silk road there was a sudden spark of interest but that has since died down so it had very little traction.

So lets get this baby from a crawler to at the very least something that walks.

Here is what we need to do:

We need a group dedicated to making this consumer friendly think bitcoin cards (visa, Mastercard, BTC)

We need a marketing group than can be dedicated to marketing this effectively and in layman's terms in other words not having to explain sha256 or anything else that is going to make joe couch potato have a massive stroke.

Now im sure we need other things so lets discuss and get this very amoebic thing some solidity and moving forward 
Pages:
Jump to: