Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC and taxes - page 3. (Read 2303 times)

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001
1NF4xXDDpMVmeazJxJDLrFxuJrCAT7CB1b
June 26, 2014, 04:22:29 PM
i heard about long term capital gains is taxed less, but are you sure it's 15% for the first 400K ?

trust's have not been discussed and i have no knowledge how they work, can you provide an example?
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
June 26, 2014, 03:53:07 PM
they don't have to prove anything, i do. and if i can't prove it they got me.

This is correct. If the IRS thinks you are in the wrong, it is on you to prove your position. It is also on you to keep records and so if you can't show the source of your income, they will treat it as the maximum possible tax rate.

Quote from: WEB
my CPA did mention it would be more cost effective to skip the cash out and straight trade my BTC for property but it's going to be very hard to accomplish this.

If this is treated as a barter then you will have received income of the value of the property, which will be taxed as income and might be more than using long-term capital gains.

If you originally mined your coins, then it's going to be income, but if you said you received them when the price was low then that's good news as your income will be low. However, between now and then the price has risen so there will be capital gains taxes to pay.

If you bought them at a low price, again, if you cash out you will owe capital gains taxes. The rate is banded depending on how much and how long you've owned them. But since it sounds like it's been more than a year, depending on your other income, you'll be able to get up to approx. the first $400k at 15% tax, and anything over will be 20%.

If you have only owned the coins for a year or less (or traded them during the year), then it is going to be taxed as income, up to 39.6%.

If you can't prove your cost basis in an audit, they will take the worst case, i.e. income.

There is no simple tax avoidance scheme if you just want the cash now but your accountant may be able to come up with ways to defer taxes depending on where you put it. Transferring into trusts, for example.

legendary
June 26, 2014, 03:22:50 AM
just to be clear, i'm not trying to evade paying tax. i want to pay and be in the clear. i just want to pay the least amount that's legally possible.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1074
June 26, 2014, 02:54:22 AM
Do you have to cash out, all at once? If you released smaller amounts every year, it would be a more manageable tax bracket.

And I agree with you, once it's converted to fiat, it's taxable. {Capital gains etc}

You should go speak to them, and negotiate a reasonable payback rate, and factor in the tax, you would have to pay, and subtract it from your coins.

Trying to evade tax, would just end up wrong for you.

I would buy stuff for friends at discount, and cash in on the favor later.  Grin
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
June 26, 2014, 01:16:06 AM
Yeah you could say that you bought it real cheap in the market when it was $2 but I don't know if they will ask for some proofs regarding that or not.
legendary
June 26, 2014, 12:32:38 AM
maybe i mined it? maybe i spent $1000 on BTC when the price was at $2?
June 26, 2014, 12:30:16 AM
Difficult? more like impossible, the person selling you the property will have to declare the sale to the government and how much money he sold it for and to who and it can't be hidden. So even if you purchase it off the bitcoin you'd still have to pay the taxes for, buying bitcoin, selling bitcoin and most prolly for purchasing the property too.
very difficult, but not impossible. i have seen people here selling land and homes for BTC. i have also seen a guy list his million dollar apartment across from central park for BTC only.

any transfer of property would obviously have to be declared. but if i traded BTC i would only have to pay for the acquisition of the BTC and the acquisition of the property. this would effectively skip the cashing out tax.
Well that's true it will leave out the sell btc tax and I think that's the best option, everything else would be a bit illegal. But it can still be tricky you might also have to detail them on where you got the money to acquire that much BTC.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
June 25, 2014, 10:39:46 PM
my CPA did mention it would be more cost effective to skip the cash out and straight trade my BTC for property but it's going to be very hard to accomplish this.

Difficult? more like impossible, the person selling you the property will have to declare the sale to the government and how much money he sold it for and to who and it can't be hidden. So even if you purchase it off the bitcoin you'd still have to pay the taxes for, buying bitcoin, selling bitcoin and most prolly for purchasing the property too.
Activity: 1492
Merit: 763
Life is a taxable event
June 25, 2014, 09:53:35 PM
Buy the rental property in bitcoin directly!

No cashing out required!

The real cashing out is actually not having too.. 

Either that or (Very off topic) perhaps taxation should be simplified and be made fair across the bord. Like a flat value added tax on everything.... The rich, corporations, the poor, anyone pays the same % on every transaction.

Back on topic, you can buy any asset that is taxed very little sell it at a slight loss (smaller than the other tax) to an interested buyer (pre-arranged). The item would be any such thing you can buy for BTC although at this early stage that would be quite difficult an asset such as a certain amount of gold or silver could be used.

You use BTC to get the gold, you give it to whomever who buys it for fiat.

BTC to Gold to Fiat....
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1004
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
June 25, 2014, 09:45:01 PM
Buy the rental property in bitcoin directly!

No cashing out required!

The real cashing out is actually not having too.. 
Activity: 123
Merit: 100
June 25, 2014, 09:39:05 PM
I thought most wont even consider an audit since we just laid off a lot of IRS agents lol.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Decentralize your hashing - p2pool - Norgz Pool
June 25, 2014, 09:05:05 PM
yes but is it mined or purchased btc? if you mine it, I can't se how they can consider it anything other than the money invested in hardware and when you finallt convert it to fiat.
If you purchase Bitcoin then fair enough, you've invested in a commodity.
i would rather not say cause i'm not sure how i'm going to report it. i don't see how the IRS expects tax on something that came out of thin air and was not purchased but i do see them pursuing every single angle of acquisition regardless of how i got it. they want their cut. period. i guess it's like inheriting a million dollars or old paintings that are worth a million. you didn't work for it and you didn't invest for it but it fell in your lap it's worth alot of money and they want a piece of it.

See in Australia lottery winnings are not taxed, nor are other prizes. So, if you could extend that to "I won a block" then is it winnings, investment, capital or other?
June 25, 2014, 08:51:34 PM
is it all mined? if so then you have generated new cash right? how can that be an investment if you have not paid for it? the mining hardware is a capital investment sure.
If on the other hand you bought into it and made profit then it would be no different to any other commodity such as gold, silver or other.
if you google search bitcoin taxes you will see several articles about how the government is considering it an investment property like stocks. it's not money but it's worth money so you have to pay tax when you acquire it. before you can get to the point of investing in stocks you have to report where you got the money from and pay taxes on it. you can't skip that step and throw the money straight in stocks without reporting the source of the funds.

this is what i am being told.

yes but is it mined or purchased btc? if you mine it, I can't se how they can consider it anything other than the money invested in hardware and when you finallt convert it to fiat.
If you purchase Bitcoin then fair enough, you've invested in a commodity.
legendary
June 25, 2014, 08:43:10 PM
let's stay on topic guys.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
June 25, 2014, 08:38:18 PM
In my country money earned from sex is not taxable. Just saying  Grin

You sayin' he should start pimpin'?  Grin
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
June 25, 2014, 08:35:09 PM
In my country money earned from sex is not taxable. Just saying  Grin
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
June 25, 2014, 08:19:48 PM
i'm on a neighbors wifi, i know better than to click links, my wallet is encrypted, the bulk of my BTC is not on my computer, it's in a safety deposit box.

That's great. Sadly not everybody is that careful! Smiley

Best wishes!
June 25, 2014, 08:18:38 PM
i also think i should only have to pay tax when i cash out to fiat. but my account with 30 years experience is saying the government considers it investment property. before i can cash it out i have to explain how and when i got it and then i have to pay income tax on it's value when i got it and the difference between what the value was when i got it and the value is when i cash out is capital gains.
is it all mined? if so then you have generated new cash right? how can that be an investment if you have not paid for it? the mining hardware is a capital investment sure.
If on the other hand you bought into it and made profit then it would be no different to any other commodity such as gold, silver or other.
Activity: 137
Merit: 100
June 25, 2014, 08:14:02 PM
Take small bits into buying a existing internet business, and use that as a solid source to use as for taxes.

Or sell its portions for cash and get into stocks that can be justify as a income source for your house etc.

Bottom line, your trying to clean out your money. Prevention is better then a cure.
Pages:
Jump to: