Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC-E.com will be back - page 3. (Read 3788 times)

Activity: 241
Merit: 100
July 28, 2017, 10:08:22 PM
News of Monday about btc-e should be very interesting. never miss it
Be ready for Media impact
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
July 28, 2017, 09:53:02 PM

Wasn't that what they were already doing? USD/EUR exchange was always just on their site. Most people didn't even try to get USD out of the site as there are a lot of hoops you have to jump through in order to do it. For instance I used the exchange because of the very cheap USD/BTC exchange rate and go back to BTC > send to Coinbase when I want to make a deposit in my bank account.

As long as exchanges don't offer a USD exchange it really doesn't matter... and as far as that goes BTCe's didn't really get used. It was just a good place to sit in FIAT when BTC is fluctuating a lot.

I used BTC-e for over 4 years without a problem, never move any fiat in or out, too hard and expensive, most of my funds came from mining crypto and trading.  I would be surprised if much fiat ever moved in or out the that exchange, I think the media claims are BS, they are probably counting ancient BTC movements and inflating them to today's exchange rates to make sensationalist headlines which sound like $US was moving in and out. The news stories seem to be deliberately trying to interchange BTC and $USD in their claims because the average sheeple wont see the sleight of hand.

When Mt. Gox funds went "missing" you can bet some ended up on BTC-e, after all, what other crypto exchanges were there 5 years ago? Find me a bank or exchange that hasn't had illegally obtained funds deposited at some point. Need I mention places which take cash!

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1024
July 28, 2017, 09:46:17 PM
Getting connection refused when trying to connect to http instead of https.

BTCE seemed pretty committed to what they're doing. If the domain was seized, that doesn't mean the assets are seized. Not that I agree with illegal activity, but one of the possibilities right now is they're migrating their servers, DNS entries, and moving assets around which does take time. It's entirely possible they'll be back.

If this was an attempted takedown instead of a slow bleeding problem like Cryptsy or Gox we may see them again. Cryptos are very much decentralized and if the devs at BTCE know their shit they have backups and action plans, it's what's happening right now. (That's if they're actually shady and don't honor the takedown).

Other options is they just shutdown completely, this turns into a long drawn out legal battle, all assets are lost as seizures in the US don't really make sense and there isn't really any 'safety' for companies when they have things seized. Given how new cryptos are, chances are either the assets will be mishandled, straight up lost, or sold on some sort of weird ass local auction for a tiny fraction of the cost (like Silkroad) if they're seized - completely fucking anyone involved who might be completely innocent, but that goes hand in hand with ignorance.

Why would they try to operate as a rogue exchange, though? They cannot survive with USD/EUR fiat channels that way. They are now blacklisted. In fact, I have to wonder whether Mayzus Financial is looking at big trouble now...

Wasn't that what they were already doing? USD/EUR exchange was always just on their site. Most people didn't even try to get USD out of the site as there are a lot of hoops you have to jump through in order to do it. For instance I used the exchange because of the very cheap USD/BTC exchange rate and go back to BTC > send to Coinbase when I want to make a deposit in my bank account.

As long as exchanges don't offer a USD exchange it really doesn't matter... and as far as that goes BTCe's didn't really get used. It was just a good place to sit in FIAT when BTC is fluctuating a lot.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
July 28, 2017, 09:21:25 PM

BTCE seemed pretty committed to what they're doing. If the domain was seized, that doesn't mean the assets are seized. Not that I agree with illegal activity, but one of the possibilities right now is they're migrating their servers, DNS entries, and moving assets around which does take time. It's entirely possible they'll be back.

If this was an attempted takedown instead of a slow bleeding problem like Cryptsy or Gox we may see them again. Cryptos are very much decentralized and if the devs at BTCE know their shit they have backups and action plans, it's what's happening right now. (That's if they're actually shady and don't honor the takedown).

Other options is they just shutdown completely, this turns into a long drawn out legal battle, all assets are lost as seizures in the US don't really make sense and there isn't really any 'safety' for companies when they have things seized. Given how new cryptos are, chances are either the assets will be mishandled, straight up lost, or sold on some sort of weird ass local auction for a tiny fraction of the cost (like Silkroad) if they're seized - completely fucking anyone involved who might be completely innocent, but that goes hand in hand with ignorance.

Why would they try to operate as a rogue exchange, though? They cannot survive with USD/EUR fiat channels that way. They are now blacklisted. In fact, I have to wonder whether Mayzus Financial is looking at big trouble now...

Unlikely, but if they really wanted to, they could do it. They'd have to rotate domain names very frequently, like The Pirate Bay, and depositing/withdrawing would be even more expensive. They would also have a lot less legitimate users, who would even want to use them for hassle-free (no KYC, etc.) day trading if the risk of them going down were to become even higher?
Activity: 454
Merit: 251
July 28, 2017, 08:05:46 PM

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1024
July 28, 2017, 08:03:38 PM

rme
Activity: 756
Merit: 504
July 28, 2017, 06:41:37 PM
The seized image is not fake, you can check it archived here: https://archive.is/e3L3o

If you don't see it you have to use Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 ), open Chrome Incognito, load http://btc-e.com (without HTTPS).

Activity: 454
Merit: 251
July 28, 2017, 03:24:31 PM
I got many news about btc-e.
I think the website will be back again
What about you??

What news makes you think this? I don't have high hopes. The only hope I have is that they can work out a deal for reduced fine and dropped charges against the exchange. With the profits kept in BTC over the years and trading fees, it is not unreasonable that they can pay the fine, but given the ominous way the DOJ talks about the "criminal" exchange -- I suspect they won't deal. They'd rather take their fines through seizure, if they can. Indeed, it is strange that the US authorities could not announce any seized money, even USD, which gives a small sliver of hope.

But given the indictment, if you were the admins, would you reopen the site? Or would you just disappear? I think I would just disappear, but I would love to hear some logical reasons why they won't. Or some news that suggest that they won't.

If the Feds will deal, then maybe they will reopen -- small chance. In that case, it might even be a honeypot, verification required. If the Feds won't deal or BTC-E cannot pay the fines, then it seems their fiat banking will be cut off. Anyone who doesn't cut them off in this circumstance risks having funds frozen by the US authorities. What will they do, move to USDT and cut off USD/EUR? I imagine there will be a very big price premium on BTC-E....

I have lost so much. Just a regular fucking swing trader, waiting to buy back at $2400s before taking some coins out, been using the exchange since early 2013....

Undecided
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
July 28, 2017, 07:29:15 AM
I agree.
Despite the thoughtless actions of regulators, I do not think that the funds were lost,
they will configure the infrastructure / software according to the prevailing realities and will go online.
Activity: 494
Merit: 500
July 28, 2017, 07:06:33 AM
I got many news about btc-e.
I think the website will be back again
What about you??
Pages:
Jump to: