Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC Value is Irrelevant - page 2. (Read 2341 times)

legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
September 06, 2011, 06:10:09 PM
i'm currently holding.  i'm taking a huge loss if BTC dont go back up to at least 10$/btc
Doesn't sound very healthy. I'm holding as well and obviously losing money if it never rises but I haven't invested what I can't afford to lose. It's a significant investment but still only a minor portion of my money.

It's not smart to put all of your eggs in one basket. In any basket. Of course I don't know what your situation is but taking a "huge loss" sounds bad. Smiley

But no worries, I have it as a 90% event that the price will eventually rise at least beyond $10. If it doesn't, then Bitcoin doesn't succeed, not even as a niche currency. But that's unlikely, Bitcoin is just getting started and the potential for at least a larger niche economy is very good.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008
September 06, 2011, 03:48:57 PM
i'm currently holding.  i'm taking a huge loss if BTC dont go back up to at least 10$/btc
legendary
Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000
September 06, 2011, 03:07:17 PM
Stability is not likely to be seen any time soon. For that to happen, either someone needs to set a fixed exchange rate, taking huge losses doing so, or the market needs to grow until individual players can no longer cause huge fluctuations. Even then, it's not going to be *that* stable.

This is still a very experimental system. The time for mainstream acceptance is not here. Slow growth provides a much better change to iron out the kinks and eventually, if all goes well, will provide Bitcoin with a track record that will give merchants looking into using it more peace of mind.

Anyway, this is all pointless jabber. We lack the means to control the market, so we just have to see what happens.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008
September 06, 2011, 02:56:31 PM
if sold a $2000 TV for 200 Bitcoins,  then the price of bitcoins dropped to .10 per bitcoin before i could cash out, then i've sold my nice TV for only $20.  Cry
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
September 06, 2011, 01:17:47 PM
Who cares what big corporations adopt bitcoins?  I don't.  How is this personally relevant to you?

Because, until it is widely accepted and used by corporations who deal mainly in E-Commerce, then it's really no more valuable than World of Warcraft Gold.

Not true.  I would be in a sailboat in any number of West Indies islands.

That's you, since you were an early adopter. That's not everyone.

Don't be fooled into thinking that if you didn't get in on the $0.05/BTC you're not an early adopter. BTC is still an infant. Compared to the world's currency, it less than a day old.

Why does everyone care so much about stabilizing bitcoins market price??  It has nothing to do with the utility or value of bitcoins at all.  

As a matter of fact, the stability of BTC has everything to do with it's utility and value as I explained in the OP and like I said in this post, it's currently no more valuable in the real world as WoW Gold. WoW Gold has a ton of value and is a multi-billion dollar a year industry, but you can't directly trade it in for a new computer on NewEgg.

As it sits currently, you are no more likely to see this:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2ilnhh4.gif

As you are to see this:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2qscqdz.gif

At least until the BTC market becomes stabilized to a point where a company could safely charge X amount of Bitcoins for an extended period of time.

And if Corporations don't adopt BTC in the future, it's nothing more than a collaborative experiment between geeks and business minded people. Relatively short term and if you haven't already made the money you've invested back, you're not going to get it back.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
September 06, 2011, 10:22:40 AM
BTC Value is irrelevant, the only thing that needs to stimulate growth of BTC is some sort of market stabilization. Dropping BTC prices are a bad thing for miners, simply due to the hardware, electricity, and of course the current difficulty.

However, the value of each BTC does not really play a factor into how well BTC is going to do in the future and whether or not it's going to be adopted wildly outside of this community. The only thing that is going to be a factor for being adopted by more businesses and especially bigger corporations for online transactions, is stabilization.

If a BTC was worth $2, it wouldn't be any different than if a BTC was worth $200, so long that Mom & Pop Global Conglomerate could feel safe for charging X amount of BTC for Y Product. Equally as important is if John Q. Public hasn't checked up on the current price of a BTC in the last 6 mo, he can feel safe at assuming it's round or about worth the same as it was 6months ago.

Currently, neither the Corporations nor the Public can even get an accurate amount to charge/pay for products in the course of a single weekend, much less over the course of months or years.

IF the markets became stabilized, then you will see a steady grown of the value of BTC on the long term, simply due to it being a deflationary currency.
Pages:
Jump to: