Pages:
Author

Topic: BTCGuild and it's relation to DDoS attackers - page 2. (Read 10780 times)

Activity: 1183
Merit: 251
next time point it at M$...let them hunt down the botnet Cheesy

LOL, or NIST or DoD, etc etc. That would be some funny shit.

Except the first thing they would find would be the dns entry and would likely track who made the change. *sadface* Hopefully they wouldn't just stop there. But its more likely they'd come and lock Slush up in a bamboo cage and poke him with a little stick until he raged!   Shocked

lol a dns entry of 127.0.0.1 then

let them ddos themselves.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500

LOL, or NIST or DoD, etc etc. That would be some funny shit.

Except the first thing they would find would be the dns entry and would likely track who made the change. *sadface* Hopefully they wouldn't just stop there. But its more likely they'd come and lock Slush up in a bamboo cage and poke him with a little stick until he raged!   Shocked
Activity: 1183
Merit: 251
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
I heart thebaron
Do you guys suspect it might be a rebel gang of disenfranchised Nazi Hookers who may have also... previously... been abducted by Aliens and forced into weight loss programs ?
I can only wonder what they want with Bitcoin ? ........

Nazi Hookers, now your talking...

ayeeeeeeeeee.  He forgot to mention that they are also androids and vampires.

Just to make sure I gott his straight.

So, a rebel gang of previously disenfranchised but reassociated Android Vampire Hooker Nazis who may have also.... previously.... been abducted my Alien Robot Communists and forced into a weight loss program paid for with tax revenues ??
...and they were also Lesbains (the Hitler-Chicks).....
Do you guys suspect it might be a rebel gang of disenfranchised Nazi Hookers who may have also... previously... been abducted by Aliens and forced into weight loss programs ?

ayeeeeeeeeee.  He forgot to mention that they are also androids and vampires.

Just to make sure I gott his straight.

So, a rebel gang of previously disenfranchised but reassociated Android Vampire Hooker Nazis who may have also.... previously.... been abducted my Alien Robot Communists and forced into a weight loss program paid for with tax revenues ??

I heart thebaron
BAMN ! I think I just figured it out !

......excuse me while I go secretly mine some Namecoins @ 2 TH/s. Perhaps I can piggyback it onto an existing network without offending anyone.
I just hope no one asks me about it.
Activity: 742
Merit: 503

I heart thebaron
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
Man this is a real shitty situation.  Personally I think what he did ( switching the DNS to btcG ) was a bit grey-area and possibly immoral, but without it he/we wouldn't have gotten the piece of information that the attackers weren't hitting btcG, at least not yet.  I think he explained fairly well his reasoning for this, and I don't fault him for his decisions.  It may have been a better idea to try to talk it out between the operators before doing something like that, but I think that's another discussion.

My opinion on the whole btcG deal with the devil to avoid getting his servers DDOSd - that to me is the despicable and worser evil.  The second any of you pool operators agree to a deal like this ENSURES that this will continue for a lot longer.  You can't collude with the enemy on a situation like this, it's the same reason you don't give in to terrorist demands.  You have essentially enabled these criminals to continue what they are doing because they know it will work now.  The only way to deal with these criminals is the hard way - you ban them every chance you get, and you get your pools DDOS'd and taken down. 

I think if any of this were ever to be taken to court in a criminal case, the pool operators who have colluded with these criminals could potentially be seen as accomplices to these crimes.  Without the pools, these botnets would have no where to connect and pool mine.  These pools are a great way for these botnets to essentially "wash" their mining.  Push their mining to a large pooled mining operation ( a "safe" ip ) and it's much harder to track who and where these people are coming from.  It's one thing to blindly not know about their operations, but it's completely another to hash out a deal with these people and cave in to this extortion.

The second any one of you pool operators caves to their pressure, you have enabled these criminals to continue what they are doing for the detriment of the entire BTC community.

The only problem I see is if the big 3 pools come together and draw a line in the sand, it may just push these botnets to smaller pools, potentially clearing all the smaller pools out and emphasizing the problem with too large pools ( > 51% ).

But what you guys rather do?  Cave in to these criminals "paying" them protection in the form of pooling services?  Or make the BTC community a better place showing these bastards that this is no place for botnet mining?

I guess the other "problem" here is that it's a lot of hash rate, and with pool fees and whatnot, it may be too sweet of a deal to the pool operators to collude with these criminals.
anu
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
  I believe that is what he was saying. But first the botnet would be used to chase off other hash power in order to drop difficulty. fine, save it would be unwise investment form the botnet's perspective.

Getting difficulty down is taking several periods. It increases the risk of being caught. You annoy people big time. I bet the operators will go to great lenghts to catch him. That doesn't seem wise to me.

It can't be a large organization, either. They'd go for a decisive strike.

I think this is a twisted individual with too much time, no girl and no chance to get one.
I think it's a little unlikely it's only a single attacker.

My theory... if anyone cares to hear... is that botnet owners have determined that they can increase their income by decreasing difficulty.

IE: take down pools, botminer income increases.

So... the asshole douchebag hackers of the world have turned to attacking the pools as the largest sources of hashing to increase their profitability.

Just a theory of mine.

Maybe I'm wrong.

There are a major problems with that theory: Why not use the botnet to mine. That's something that can really increase income.

I believe that is what he was saying. But first the botnet would be used to chase off other hash power in order to drop difficulty. fine, save it would be unwise investment form the botnet's perspective.
anu
legendary

My theory... if anyone cares to hear... is that botnet owners have determined that they can increase their income by decreasing difficulty.

So... the asshole douchebag hackers of the world have turned to attacking the pools as the largest sources of hashing to increase their profitability.

Just a theory of mine.

Maybe I'm wrong.

There are a major problems with that theory: Why not use the botnet to mine. That's something that can really increase income.

Just a theory of mine.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Yea, its wrong, in theory atleast, since we can't read their minds, to think that. The reality is they would fail to chase away any hasing power that is real competition and will only increase the amount of time until the difficulty would drop and profitability would increase...  Atleast, if that were their intentions.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Just a theory of mine.

Maybe I'm wrong.
anu
legendary
I think all pool operators need to work together to catch the culprit and turn him in. I strongly suggest to keep any info that might help the attacker among yourselves and out of this forum.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Good lord.

Are these attacks all spoofed origination attacks?  Or is it a wide gamut of different DDoS flavors?
I heart thebaron
Good point, we cool!
Damn straight Wink

We are all here for the same reason:

To cyberbully and use the Internet lure young girls away to Airports with promises of fame....er..... to mine Bitcoins Wink

Cheers,
Allan
YOur argument goes like this:
Eleu paid for a better infrastructure to defend against DDOS attacks.

Others didnt. So Eleu is responsible for attacks against those who didnt.

Doesnt work for me. Sorry.

No, infrastructure didn't help defend against ANY attacks.  I hoped it would, it did not, otherwise we wouldn't have gone down for 3 days in July when I broke the deal I made to stay online.  All my extra spending did was ensure when the attacks ended my servers would come back up.

ok, you did the right thing...  I'll defer to your expertise...  "Slush" must be drunk again...  Kiss
That argument is Eleu's not mine.  Yeah, its weak...  giving up on the condemnation....  chill out fanboys...
It's not that we are fanboys, or trying to attack YOU personally, but you are taking an honest situation where a Pool owner chose the TEMPORARY lesser of 2 evils and allowed the use of his pool (by those even he deemed unfit), to allow it to operate as normal until another solution could be found.....AS HE HAS STATED ABOVE.

He never PAID MOBSTERS. He was never IN BED WITH MOBSTERS.
His temporary immunity to such attacks in no way, shape or form means that He oversaw attacks against any other pools.
Where does this all come from ?

Is it Mobster mentality on the part of the Botnet operator ? YES.

If other pool owners could afford ISPs that didn't kick their asses 'out of Dodge' at the first sign of a Botnet attack, or Botnet connection, perhaps this wouldn't be a problem.

Ele let THEM connect.....till he could safely say NO and afford the pool a proper ISP that would stand behind his attempt to ward off future Botnet threats without the risk of account suspension.

CASE CLOSED.

Good point, we cool!
I heart thebaron
That argument is Eleu's not mine.  Yeah, its weak...  giving up on the condemnation....  chill out fanboys...
It's not that we are fanboys, or trying to attack YOU personally, but you are taking an honest situation where a Pool owner chose the TEMPORARY lesser of 2 evils and allowed the use of his pool (by those even he deemed unfit), to allow it to operate as normal until another solution could be found.....AS HE HAS STATED ABOVE.

He never PAID MOBSTERS. He was never IN BED WITH MOBSTERS.
His temporary immunity to such attacks in no way, shape or form means that He oversaw attacks against any other pools.
Where does this all come from ?

Is it Mobster mentality on the part of the Botnet operator ? YES.

If other pool owners could afford ISPs that didn't kick their asses 'out of Dodge' at the first sign of a Botnet attack, or Botnet connection, perhaps this wouldn't be a problem.

Ele let THEM connect.....till he could safely say NO and afford the pool a proper ISP that would stand behind his attempt to ward off future Botnet threats without the risk of account suspension.

CASE CLOSED.
Pages:
Jump to: