Pages:
Author

Topic: Building a bitcoin embassy! - page 3. (Read 13824 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!
June 17, 2013, 10:06:32 PM
What do you guys think about inviting the ZEITGEIST movement montreal  people to come to our hackerspace
I think these people are very much in tune with the " bitcoin philosophy ", they might not even know about bitcoin.

should i contact their group?

Yeah why not?

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
June 17, 2013, 09:41:52 PM
What do you guys think about inviting the ZEITGEIST movement montreal  people to come to our hackerspace
I think these people are very much in tune with the " bitcoin philosophy ", they might not even know about bitcoin.

should i contact their group?
Activity: 544
Merit: 500
June 17, 2013, 08:16:01 PM
You could call it 'The Bitcoin Reserve'    Tongue
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
June 17, 2013, 06:01:45 PM

Next Saturday for another meet-up?

I think i could make it.
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
June 17, 2013, 05:44:52 PM
List of products we might want to have / sell

http://www.piperwallet.com/

Physical bitcoins many varieties

Bitcoin T-Shirt all varieties

bitcoin keychains  Huh

Bitocin card ( if it ever comes out )
http://bitcoincard.org/

bitcoin miner

Bitcoin Magazines

Our own bitcoin starter kit

I guess would could keep only one of these products for display purposes, and we would simply order products as we sell them. I think the idea of the store downstairs is not to be a bitcoin gift shop, but more of an info center where anyone can come to learn about bitcoin and talk to someone that knows all about bitcoin, at the same time we can display cool bitcoin related products, and make it easy for people to order these products.

also the store could also act as a bitcoin exchange, where people can come exchange their bitcoins for cash, or buy bitcoins with cash.

sure buying and selling bitcoin can be done online with relative ease, but being able to exchange them for cold hard cash in person  would go a long way to help spread the bitcoin cheer!
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
June 17, 2013, 05:00:23 PM
this is amazing keep it up! I want to get something like this setup in the US also in my city

Agreed we need this in the USA, hopefully get one in NY!

It should be fairly easy to get something like this done in NY, maybe something that can be discussed at the upcoming conference.

This is why I need more time during the day so I can help setup these things LOL

If anyone in NY and needs help setting this up, I have funds and a little bit of time hit me up!
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
June 17, 2013, 04:37:55 PM
this is amazing keep it up! I want to get something like this setup in the US also in my city

donator
Activity: 406
Merit: 252
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
June 17, 2013, 04:50:51 PM

It should be fairly easy to get something like this done in NY, maybe something that can be discussed at the upcoming conference.
donator
Activity: 406
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
June 17, 2013, 04:30:16 PM
Activity: 632
June 17, 2013, 03:49:58 PM
Awesome idea!

You definitely should have mining equipment on display - examples of CPU miners, GPU, FPGA and a cheap ASIC, along with maybe some of the mining pools shown on screens?

The other thing I always thought would be so cool would be to have a set of monitors on the wall with live price tickers, showing the different currencies.

And of course be ready to handle the media inquiries!

You read in my mind Grin I'm dreaming of seeing that wall!

Mining equipment will definitely be considered. Good point for the medias though, didn't taught of that. This project could become the "face" of Bitcoin around here, and we need to be prepared.

Perhaps look at the successful model of other "hackerspace" buildings that have recently been set up.

Hacker Dojo, in Mountain View, CA

http://www.hackerdojo.com/

Noisebridge, in San Francisco, CA

https://noisebridge.net/

Thanks for the links, they are a interesting model to consider. The first floor of the building has to be a sort of information center/bitcoin shop. It has direct access to the street with big windows and doors. The two other floors have a separate access from the first and that's where we could be more "creative" on their activities.

Hello!

I am very excited about developing the Building into our center.  Thank you for the ideas.  Keep them coming! We should try to meet-up soon again to sort through the suggested activities, choose those we should focus on at the launch of the Center, go through the design of the layout in some measure of details this time, and discuss some anticipated challenges we are certain to face in promoting the use of Bitcoin in Quebec & Canada.

Next Saturday for another meet-up?
Activity: 106
Merit: 10
June 17, 2013, 03:00:08 PM
Perhaps look at the successful model of other "hackerspace" buildings that have recently been set up.

Hacker Dojo, in Mountain View, CA

http://www.hackerdojo.com/

Noisebridge, in San Francisco, CA

https://noisebridge.net/

The theme of Bitcoin certainly fits in well here, and the building becomes a community center for all interested in Bitcoin and similar projects.  I don't know if an entire three floor building dedicated to *only* Bitcoin would be a good use of space, unless you had a great deal on electricity and filled it floor to ceiling with mining rigs Smiley

A more general tech project/hacker/learning center, featuring Bitcoin as one of many rather cool projects, might be great to have.  And they're a lot of fun!

Josh
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
June 17, 2013, 02:43:03 PM
our focus right now should be to, get a good plan all squared away , and get more people from montreal involved
if we have a good plan, it will be easy to organize people to help out in whatever way they can

I wait to hear from Jake about the legal status of buying and selling bitcoin in the province of quebec.

Hello!

I am very excited about developing the Building into our center.  Thank you for the ideas.  Keep them coming! We should try to meet-up soon again to sort through the suggested activities, choose those we should focus on at the launch of the Center, go through the design of the layout in some measure of details this time, and discuss some anticipated challenges we are certain to face in promoting the use of Bitcoin in Quebec & Canada.

legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
June 17, 2013, 07:28:56 AM
there should be and adamstgBit  virtual currency booth, just in case any newbie isn't confused enough....on the third level as the final boss

Activity: 418
Proud Canuck
June 16, 2013, 10:58:32 PM
Awesome idea!

You definitely should have mining equipment on display - examples of CPU miners, GPU, FPGA and a cheap ASIC, along with maybe some of the mining pools shown on screens?

The other thing I always thought would be so cool would be to have a set of monitors on the wall with live price tickers, showing the different currencies.

And of course be ready to handle the media inquiries!
Activity: 260
Merit: 251
June 16, 2013, 10:57:49 PM
To be a proper supernode, you must have ceilings that are at least 4m tall.
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
June 16, 2013, 08:36:21 PM
our focus right now should be to, get a good plan all squared away , and get more people from montreal involved
if we have a good plan, it will be easy to organize people to help out in whatever way they can

I wait to hear from Jake about the legal status of buying and selling bitcoin in the province of quebec.
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
June 16, 2013, 08:31:00 PM
+1 Bureau de la Bitcoin - Embassies are for states and a lot of us bitcoin anarchists are frankly offended. Wink

Ideas for usage:

1. Musee de la bitcoin! Any physical objects of historical significance to buy up and display here? First caus coin? First hardware wallet? etc...

2. Daily "bitcoin for noobs" class. Make a room into a presentation that runs several times a day teaching new coiners everything they need to know... Not just a movie though, have workstations and some activities like downloading a wallet to their own phone and so forth...

3. A Bitcoin ATM, of course! Preferably facing the street like a bank would do it.

4. More startup space than just the top floor... I'd say half the 2nd floor too, as long as the 2nd floor is big enough for a solid-sized meetup group.

5. A cybercafe/starbucks that ONLY takes bitcoin.

Bon chance!

thank you for your input  Smiley
Activity: 526
Merit: 508
My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck
June 16, 2013, 08:22:32 PM
+1 Bureau de la Bitcoin - Embassies are for states and a lot of us bitcoin anarchists are frankly offended. Wink

Ideas for usage:

1. Musee de la bitcoin! Any physical objects of historical significance to buy up and display here? First caus coin? First hardware wallet? etc...

2. Daily "bitcoin for noobs" class. Make a room into a presentation that runs several times a day teaching new coiners everything they need to know... Not just a movie though, have workstations and some activities like downloading a wallet to their own phone and so forth...

3. A Bitcoin ATM, of course! Preferably facing the street like a bank would do it.

4. More startup space than just the top floor... I'd say half the 2nd floor too, as long as the 2nd floor is big enough for a solid-sized meetup group.

5. A cybercafe/starbucks that ONLY takes bitcoin.

Bon chance!

Activity: 574
Merit: 250
June 16, 2013, 03:55:36 PM
Following
Activity: 632
June 16, 2013, 02:14:20 AM
It might be interesting to offer courses on setting up wallet and other basics of Bitcoins especially in two streams, English and French, would be good.

Yeah, that's a good point. We will probably be the first place people come complain if they get their BTC stolen. No worries about the French part, I'm one of those "racist nazi" quebecers that abide by our "language police".  Grin

Re: Is the title " Bitcoin Embassy " appropriate?

Sounds a little political.

What about Bitcoin Institute or Bitcoin Bureau?  Huh

Just to specify a point that may be uncommon to people around here. The only official language in Québec province is French and we have laws in place to protect our french heritage, mainly to prevent english assimilation. The most famous law is named the law 101 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_of_the_French_Language). To put it simply, the name of the place MUST be in French. There is some exceptions in the law, "Bitcoin" could fall under those exceptions easily, but not general terms like "embassy" or "institute". "Bureau" could work though, we have the same in french.

All this to say, I know how that law works and I currently have a name I'm working on right now. I'm pretty confident in it and I think it's a really elegant solution to all this. I'll keep you informed.

Absolutely you must offer offshore mining.

That's something really interesting to consider. Didn't taught of it, thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: