Pages:
Author

Topic: Building Antminer Shed. Any suggestions on design or air flow? - page 2. (Read 4972 times)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

It's 6 Antminers stacked on its side(ethernet port on the outside) and lashed together with zip-ties that came with the psu; the small holes at the tips of the frame are what I lashed together.  The vent at the back of the unit consists of vent scoop, reducer, and a 90 degree elbow.  The fan is a 4" inline duct fan by Ventech I bought on Amazon for $60 and it blows the heat out the dryer vent pipe in my apartment.  The tubing is a 4" semi-rigid aluminum dryer hose.  Everything is held together with metallic duct tape.  I got everything but the duct fan at Home Depot in the same aisle.  I previously had the vent placed at the top of the room but found that it is MUCH more efficient at removing heat when placed behind the unit.  Don't buy a cheap duct fan, the more powerful, the better.  You can improve the design by having a bigger scoop behind the antminers; big as the entire miner rig.  I just worked with the biggest scoop I could find at Home Depot.       After installing the improved system, heat in the mining room is very manageable.  Don't go cheap on the inline duct fan!
Activity: 168
pull the heat from the antminers from the back of the unit and blow it out of the shed.  

Powered by 4" inline fan by Ventech                  

Nice! I like that! I will go price out what that will cost. How well does that work? How much power does that inline fan take?

Can you post bigger pictures somewhere? Like a link?
Activity: 210
pull the heat from the antminers from the back of the unit and blow it out of the shed.  

Powered by 4" inline fan by Ventech                  
Rather than go through all that extra trouble and cost I would rather just buy an additional ant especially if you are running a larger amount like 10+. Waste of $ imo.

well the op is going to struggle to run this gear in the texas summer.

I would argue he should buy a s-2  and not get a lot of s-1's

I'm OP. I plan on getting some S2s. But the problem still is going to be limited power inside the house. Either way I wanted to build a bigger shed. Not its just running power as an extra cost. Plus I will be housing a friend's collection of miners and he is paying half construction costs.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
Rather than go through all that extra trouble and cost I would rather just buy an additional ant especially if you are running a larger amount like 10+. Waste of $ imo.

well the op is going to struggle to run this gear in the texas summer.

I would argue he should buy a s-2  and not get a lot of s-1's.

but putting out 4k for the s-2 is not easy to do.  op what is your power cost?

Are you talking in regards to the heatsinks and fans?
legendary
heatsinks on 3 rows

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
legendary

all 4 units bottom 2 are over clocked

legendary
On those heatsinks, how much do they help?
 testing as I type.  on my 2 over clocked units I placed 48 heat sinks.  i did the last 3 rows of 4 that is 12 on each card 2 ants = 4 cards.
  temps dropped 1 degree and the auto fan dropped from 3280 to 3060  on one unit and on the other temps dropped 3 degrees with the fan dropping from 2780 to 2580.

I have a pulling fan also.  I will photo. give me 5 minutes

2 over clocked one to 393 second to 400 stock is 350

On those heatsinks, how much do they help?
okay you have a  car port

I have a garage not a car port. But the garage gets super hot and would be too difficult to keep cooler and run more electricity to.

sorry read my post again I thought that roof on the other side of the fend near the old shed was a carport

Covered patio/back porch Smiley

yeah my bad .  but you should be able to do a nice setup .  here is a link for heat sinks .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooling-kit-72pcs-For-Bitcoin-Miner-Antminer-ASIC-180GH-s-DIY-Aluminum-Heatsink-/121278456585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3cc26309

with all the fans on the ant miners pointed at the cover back porch they will blow air at the rain barrel .   so A high vent should help. let me read the link on the ac unit. that you posted.

Yeah rain barrel is going to go. Im going to use that whole slab to build a bigger shed.

I actually picked up an 8000 BTU portable AC unit that draws lower watts than the one I linked for $79 from Sears Outlet. I think *IF* I need ac I will use that.
legendary
okay you have a  car port

I have a garage not a car port. But the garage gets super hot and would be too difficult to keep cooler and run more electricity to.

sorry read my post again I thought that roof on the other side of the fend near the old shed was a carport

yeah my bad .  but you should be able to do a nice setup .  here is a link for heat sinks . the Chinese seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cooling-kit-72pcs-For-Bitcoin-Miner-Antminer-ASIC-180GH-s-DIY-Aluminum-Heatsink-/121278456585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3cc26309
 and the american seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Kits-Heatsinks-for-Cooling-USB-ASIC-MINER-Block-Erupter-Bitcoin-Heat-sink-/301104638522?ViewItem=&ssPageName=ADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1123&item=301104638522&nma=true&si=Paiv8iBFyVEPiajPwWcu1SCRzbE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I purchased  from the usa guy
with all the fans on the ant miners pointed at the cover back porch they will blow air at the rain barrel .   so A high vent should help. let me read the link on the ac unit. that you posted.

put the ac unit high on the same side as the intake vent.  i.e. the side of the covered porch.

when it runs that air will fall down on the fans of the ant miners. and the ant miner fans will lift air from the low intake vent.

my guess is a timer could be helpful as you may be able to use the intake vent alone in the summer from 3am - 7am.

legendary
okay you have a  car port

sorry read my post again I thought that roof on the other side of the fence near the old shed was a carport

legendary
okay you have a  car port.

low to the ground on the side of the shed that faces the carport have an intake vent.

high facing the rain barrel do the outake fan.

consider  having a white or light color netting for the summer. stretch it from the carport over the new shed to cast shade.   low cost item we used them in the desert and on Diego Garcia when I was in the Navy.
Hot air rises so extractor fan opening at the top rear, cold air intake at the bottom front.
Sheds get hot in the summer so you might want to make it windowless, or paint it white/silver, or position it in the shadow of another building, to stop solar radiation getting in. You shouldn't need to waste electricity on air conditioning unless you live in a desert.

I live in Texas lol... it stays 100+ degrees for 60-100 days of the year. But see this picture? Where the small shed is where the new one will go:

Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Hot air rises so extractor fan opening at the top rear, cold air intake at the bottom front.
Sheds get hot in the summer so you might want to make it windowless, or paint it white/silver, or position it in the shadow of another building, to stop solar radiation getting in. You shouldn't need to waste electricity on air conditioning unless you live in a desert.
For ventilation at the top, maybe something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ventamatic-1300-CFM-Power-Attic-Ventilator-Gable-Mount-CX1500UPS/202913798

Now if the A/C and a ventilation fan were running at the same time, would the cold air be sucked out too quickly to do any good? Should the AC be run by itself on hot days?
Pages:
Jump to: