Pages:
Author

Topic: Building Cheap Miners : My "Secret" - page 14. (Read 60219 times)

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541
May 07, 2018, 08:05:05 AM
I'm quite interested in this if you decide you want to sell your software.

I've reached out to you a couple of times thinking you might have some interest in being pitched. But I don't plan on releasing any firmwares or selling devices.

Activity: 714
Merit: 512
May 07, 2018, 07:12:30 AM
Both will do better so that is a moving target.

The MINIMUM efficiency increase over GPUs I've ever had was 3x (and that was for a completely unoptimized hastily written code). The largest I've had so far? Around 100x. Average seemed to be in the 30-50x range. They offer a greater level of configuration that is not possible on GPUs. It'll be a good time soon to short nvidia and amd stock. 2019 is going to be a bad year for both of them. Not only are they going to lose mining market share to FPGA; they will also be losing scientific (uni, govt, corporate) research into AI, genomics, etc. Xilinx and Altera both are starting to reverse their archaic sales practices and mentality. They've realized they're losing out on a market segment that is multiples larger than the ones they've historically sold to. Intel with altera is planning on putting FPGA chips directly on the motherboard and having a fiberoptic path on the motherboard between the FPGA and CPU. The bus width will be a high multiple of the PCI-E bus speed. Oh ya, and people can compile their existing opencl gpu code to the fpga. This allows them to get up and running quickly with their existing code until they migrate over to a full RTL design. Welcome to the future.

My trade, what i've done my entire life, has primarily been sys admin, network admin, coder, etc. Once someone offloads apache, mysql, nginx, etc processing to a FPGA co-processor... It will allow applications that had historically needed huge clusters to operate; to operate with a fraction of those servers and offloading tasks to the FPGA. Power consumption for application processing will drop by 10x or more. (with the exception of data storage servers and clusters). FPGA are also significantly more stable than GPUs. The only thing anyone should really be using a gpu is for video, and graphic acceleration. Ya, they can do other stuff, but they're not really that suited to it. RTL development for fpga coprocessing is going to be a big business in the future (5-10 years).

I'm quite interested in this if you decide you want to sell your software.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
May 07, 2018, 05:33:31 AM
Hey Guys,

Huge fan of this thread. I'm building a rig with a HP XW4600 and I have a question about the PSU:

I'm looking at running a 4 RX570 rig and I'm wondering do I need a PSU with 8 PCIe ports to power the RX570's and risers? Or is it possible to power the RX570 and riser from the same PCIe cable? Or possible another way of doing it?

Activity: 434
Merit: 52
May 07, 2018, 12:50:09 AM

The MINIMUM efficiency increase over GPUs I've ever had was 3x (and that was for a completely unoptimized hastily written code). The largest I've had so far? Around 100x. Average seemed to be in the 30-50x range. They offer a greater level of configuration that is not possible on GPUs. It'll be a good time soon to short nvidia and amd stock. 2019 is going to be a bad year for both of them. Not only are they going to lose mining market share to FPGA; they will also be losing scientific (uni, govt, corporate) research into AI, genomics, etc. Xilinx and Altera both are starting to reverse their archaic sales practices and mentality. They've realized they're losing out on a market segment that is multiples larger than the ones they've historically sold to. Intel with altera is planning on putting FPGA chips directly on the motherboard and having a fiberoptic path on the motherboard between the FPGA and CPU. The bus width will be a high multiple of the PCI-E bus speed. Oh ya, and people can compile their existing opencl gpu code to the fpga. This allows them to get up and running quickly with their existing code until they migrate over to a full RTL design. Welcome to the future.

My trade, what i've done my entire life, has primarily been sys admin, network admin, coder, etc. Once someone offloads apache, mysql, nginx, etc processing to a FPGA co-processor... It will allow applications that had historically needed huge clusters to operate; to operate with a fraction of those servers and offloading tasks to the FPGA. Power consumption for application processing will drop by 10x or more. (with the exception of data storage servers and clusters). FPGA are also significantly more stable than GPUs. The only thing anyone should really be using a gpu is for video, and graphic acceleration. Ya, they can do other stuff, but they're not really that suited to it. RTL development for fpga coprocessing is going to be a big business in the future (5-10 years).

I don't necessarily disagree with this forecast, but Nvidia and AMD are big companies with a huge growth in income the past few years. They've already announced mining-focused gpus (which are, granted, just slightly modified versions of their higher mid range cards), but I sincerely doubt at least one of them doesn't have a plan to compete, whether that's entering the AI market or shifting to/adding a line of FPGAs to straight up releasing ASICs themselves. I wouldn't count wither of them out from a business standpoint (though if they don't adapt their model, I 100% agree).

I own a small amount of stock in both, by the way. Just for full disclosure.
May 06, 2018, 07:27:22 PM

Activity: 214
Merit: 24
May 06, 2018, 06:47:40 PM
While true, they are the future and I'm speaking with someone right now about investing $50k with me so I can load a bunch up in my farm.

With the new tech coming, everything we have done in this thread is going to be obsolete.  My electricity bill was $1,000 last month.  If I sold all my hardware and only had 8 of those cards I would product 5x as much for 1/10 of the power draw, a much smaller thermal envelope to deal with and a much higher return after ROI.  Efficiency is the name of the game and eventually being cheap just shoots yourself in the foot.

Toss it in my pile. I'll be working with next gen chips while everyone is fighting over the 9p. I'm currently raising with a $1M target.

Funny how you posted this in the "Building Cheap Miners" thread.

"Each VCU1525 card costs $4000, or $32K for the whole rig." they are anything but cheap.

I'm not really sure this thread is about cheap miners other than the physical CPU / host machine and being able to get the lowest cost, most pcie ports, enough power supply.

It is for me. I found this thread via Google Search and have used the knowledge to put together a mining farm at lower cost.

Quote from: senseless
You have people in this thread buying 1080s which are $800 cards. They're paying $800 to generate $5/day of revenue. If they buy 5 they've spent $4,000 to generate $20/day of revenue. Or, they could spend $4,000 use 1/10th the amount of power and generate $40+/day. There were periods during the last bull run where it was possible to make $100/day per fpga. In terms of ROI and efficiency increases, these are far superior than any GPU on the market. GPUs will be completely useless for mining in 2019.

Yes some people here do have very large budgets but their ideas like using the HP Z400, or the HP DL580 G7's with Xeon E7-8837's, or the Dell R815's with AMD 6200/6300 Opterons are very good ideas in how to build a farm at a much lower cost. My primary GPUs that I mine with are GTX 750's (Nvidia Maxwell) that I buy for less than $40.

Quote from: senseless
GPUs will be completely useless for mining in 2019.

I cringe every time I see statements like that. GPUs will progress this year with Nvidia's new release and AMD will have a new solution next year. Both will do better so that is a moving target.

May 06, 2018, 06:35:32 PM
It's out now, so.. This is my real secret for mining and why I never scaled cpu hardware... You can buy these and replace your gpus with them. They'll work in risers... I'll never publicly release firmwares like he's doing, but if he's truly going to support it and release his firmwares... This is where the mining is at...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/diy-fpga-mining-rig-for-any-algorithm-with-fast-roi-3459858

Be careful, it is possible for someone to create a firmware which would cause the FPGA to be physically destroyed and possibly take the host PC with it.

"Each VCU1525 card costs $4000, or $32K for the whole rig." they are anything but cheap.

While true, they are the future and I'm speaking with someone right now about investing $50k with me so I can load a bunch up in my farm.

With the new tech coming, everything we have done in this thread is going to be obsolete.  My electricity bill was $1,000 last month.  If I sold all my hardware and only had 8 of those cards I would product 5x as much for 1/10 of the power draw, a much smaller thermal envelope to deal with and a much higher return after ROI.  Efficiency is the name of the game and eventually being cheap just shoots yourself in the foot.

With the new tech coming, everything we have done in this thread is going to be obsolete.

Not at that price. Now if the price drops to $1000 and is universally available then that would be a different story and would be welcomed by the community.

I hope you do realize that Monero will hard fork again in about 5 months. The Monero developers were actively discussing ways to brick even FPGA Monero miners before the last hard fork. With the short time they had they focused on only killing the ASIC's which they did. Now with 6 months passing from April to the next hard fork they will have a much better handle on how to stop FPGA miners.

May 06, 2018, 01:41:56 PM

With the new tech coming, everything we have done in this thread is going to be obsolete.  My electricity bill was $1,000 last month.  If I sold all my hardware and only had 8 of those cards I would product 5x as much for 1/10 of the power draw, a much smaller thermal envelope to deal with and a much higher return after ROI.  Efficiency is the name of the game and eventually being cheap just shoots yourself in the foot.

Toss it in my pile. I'll be working with next gen chips while everyone is fighting over the 9p. I'm currently raising with a $1M target.

I'm not really sure this thread is about cheap miners other than the physical CPU / host machine and being able to get the lowest cost, most pcie ports, enough power supply. You have people in this thread buying 1080s which are $800 cards. They're paying $800 to generate $5/day of revenue. If they buy 5 they've spent $4,000 to generate $25/day of revenue. Or, they could spend $4,000 use 1/10th the amount of power and generate $40+/day. There were periods during the last bull run where it was possible to make $100/day per fpga. In terms of ROI and efficiency increases, these are far superior than any GPU on the market. GPUs will be completely useless for mining in 2019.

Activity: 176
Merit: 1
May 06, 2018, 01:21:36 PM
It's out now, so.. This is my real secret for mining and why I never scaled cpu hardware... You can buy these and replace your gpus with them. They'll work in risers... I'll never publicly release firmwares like he's doing, but if he's truly going to support it and release his firmwares... This is where the mining is at...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/diy-fpga-mining-rig-for-any-algorithm-with-fast-roi-3459858

Be careful, it is possible for someone to create a firmware which would cause the FPGA to be physically destroyed and possibly take the host PC with it.

With the new tech coming, everything we have done in this thread is going to be obsolete.  My electricity bill was $1,000 last month.  If I sold all my hardware and only had 8 of those cards I would product 5x as much for 1/10 of the power draw, a much smaller thermal envelope to deal with and a much higher return after ROI.  Efficiency is the name of the game and eventually being cheap just shoots yourself in the foot.
May 06, 2018, 10:06:16 AM

May 05, 2018, 08:25:11 PM

May 03, 2018, 12:09:46 PM
I will caveat that the box I had running w/ 4 1080s did use 2 PSUs.  I was using risers but but all cards were powered from internal w/ no external PSU and breakout board.  (I raped the SAS connector and used 12v to 5v step downs).

However, due to heat, I have changed that config to pull all cards out of the box along w/ the 2 that weren't in it so that all GPUs are on breakout boards and external supplies.  I never checked power draw though.
May 03, 2018, 11:39:07 AM
I've been running on 1 PSU per box for months now with no issues.

Good to know.

---------------

Since I have one DL580 rig with only 4x GTX 750's that is using 800 watts at the wall (120 VAC) I tried the experiment in using balanced vs high-efficiency mode.

With two power supplies installed running balanced mode: 800 watts at wall, 315+365= 680 watts from the power supplies = 85% efficiency

With one power supply installed running high-efficiency mode: 775 watts at the wall, 670 watts from the power supply = 86% efficiency

---------------

A strange problem occurred when I tried high-efficiency mode with two power supplies installed (1 required, 2 for redundancy) and selected high-efficiency mode.  The system ignored the high-efficiency setting and ran both power supplies in balanced mode. No idea why. I had hoped to keep the second power supply in the unit so it would keep the system running in case the main power supply failed but since it uses both I too will only run with one installed.

May 02, 2018, 10:07:56 PM
I've been running on 1 PSU per box for months now with no issues.
May 02, 2018, 08:44:46 PM
When I get these on 240 VAC the power supplies can supply 1200 watts each so I will switch to "High Efficiency Mode" which will pull power from only one supply and have the other in redundant very low power mode.

Wouldn't it be better to keep it on balanced and allow your PSUs to be more efficient?

It all depends on what the efficiency is at the load point.

Right now on 120 VAC my load is 815 watts which sometimes jumps to 825/835 watts. That number is really close to the 900 watt maximum that the 1200 watt power supply can produce at 120 VAC. Which is why I am running in balanced mode.

This is from one of my HP DL580 servers:

Power supply #1                                                                                                                                                                             
        Present  : Yes                                                                                                                                                                       
        Redundant: No                                                                                                                                                                       
        Condition: Ok                                                                                                                                                                       
        Hotplug  : Supported                                                                                                                                                                 
        Power    : 390 Watts                                                                                                                                                                 
Power supply #2                                                                                                                                                                             
        Present  : Yes                                                                                                                                                                       
        Redundant: No                                                                                                                                                                       
        Condition: Ok                                                                                                                                                                       
        Hotplug  : Supported                                                                                                                                                                 
        Power    : 425 Watts

815 Watts total.

When this server is running on 240 VAC the power supplies can supply the full 1200 watts. So 390/425 watts of 1200 is only loading the power supply at 33-35% capacity whereas 815 watts of the 1200 is 68% capacity.

When I an on 240 VAC I will measure both the "High Efficiency" and "Balanced Mode" and chose the better one. If the "Balanced Mode" is only slightly better I probably will still chose "High Efficiency" so that only one power supply is needed and pull the other and keep it in case the first one ever fails.

This article gives an explanation of the differences between "load balancing" and "high efficiency" modes:

How do servers with redundant power supplies balance consumption?
https://serverfault.com/questions/659452/how-do-servers-with-redundant-power-supplies-balance-consumption

It only has a chart for the 750 watt power supply not the 1200 watt power supply.

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
May 02, 2018, 05:09:58 PM
When I get these on 240 VAC the power supplies can supply 1200 watts each so I will switch to "High Efficiency Mode" which will pull power from only one supply and have the other in redundant very low power mode.

Wouldn't it be better to keep it on balanced and allow your PSUs to be more efficient?

i'd say that it's better to keep it balanced and steady. As supplies have certain (+/-)  lifespan, "High Efficiency Mode" isnt contributing but most likely killing it sooner. Wouldnt you say that you'd be killing them one by one? 
May 02, 2018, 03:31:04 PM

PSUs are normally more efficient running closer to rated capacity...
Activity: 58
Merit: 5
May 02, 2018, 01:14:44 PM

PSU with 80-90% load is way more efficient than a 2xPSU with 40-45% load.
May 02, 2018, 01:03:57 PM

May 01, 2018, 10:10:41 PM
Miners, it kind of sounds like you are telling the OP what to do with that post even though I think you are pointing it at the guy asking the original question... Cheesy

I just wanted to clarify to dlhouse that if he also wanted to mine with the CPU in the Z400 that it needs to have the AES Instruction from the Xeon W3600/X5600 Series.

As sundownz said the CPU doesn't matter for GPU mining but if dlhouse wanted to pick up some more hashes then it would matter what the CPU is.
Pages:
Jump to: