Pages:
Author

Topic: Buy passport or coldcard - page 2. (Read 313 times)

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
March 26, 2024, 12:59:41 PM
I don't care about the price of the wallet, it's about being safe and secure.
Really?
So you are asking someone else to make a decision for you  Roll Eyes

Passport code is based on Coldcard code so there are similarities between them, but Passport improved in every way, and it remained open source, unlike Coldcard.
Funny thing about coldcard devices is that NVK dont offer any warranty on them, so you are screwed if something happens with your device.  Tongue

Activity: 714
Merit: 1298
Cashback 15%
March 24, 2024, 03:32:49 AM
I'm an active user of Passport 2 since May 2023.

Before buying it I also  pestered myself  with such  question but after    careful analysis of all stuff relevant to both wallets have decided on Passport 2 because of bunch of factors in its favor. Among those factors are outstanding quality of design (including schematic and used materials), robust security model (including the source of entropy used to generate SEED), user-friendliness, to name only a few.
Activity: 248
Merit: 36
NO SHITCOIN INSIDE
March 24, 2024, 02:31:07 AM
I have a Coldcard Mk4 that I bought last year but had I known about the Passport I would have got that instead.

The Passport has the advanced features of the Coldcard but looks to be much easier to use. Also great that it is a bitcoin only wallet.
The Passport also looks a lot nicer while the Coldcard looks like a toy.

I finally figured out how to use the Coldcard but it was not easy and took way too much time. I can see how a lot of people would just give up.
If you don't have a great deal of time to fiddle around with the device while pulling your hair out learning to use it then stay away from the Coldcard.

The good thing about the Coldcard was the Black Friday price I paid for it making it almost half the price of the Passport.

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1355
March 22, 2024, 06:16:04 PM
Which should I choose between Coldcard and Foundation Passport?

You really cant go wrong with either one if security is your top worry when it comes to hardware wallets.  Given their stellar security reps, they are both solid and  comes down to what youre looking for feature-wise.  If ease of use is big for you - Passport probably fits the bill nicely.  It has camera, QR code compatibility, a larger screen, intuitive interface - makes sense for a lot of folks.  Coldcard definitely feels more barebones.  So I would say Passport if you want smoother sailing, Coldcard if youre after ultra-spartan. 
Activity: 99
Merit: 153
March 22, 2024, 04:35:56 PM
Both are good hardware wallet because the security of your hardware wallet depends on the back up of the recovery seed. I will say you should choose the foundation passport ahead of the Coldcard because the latter code is source verifiable  while the former is an open source.

+1

And adding to what you said: the Passport appears to be a much easier device to use.  Over the past few years, I've seen a bunch of newcomers buy a ColdCard but not end up using it.  Ease of use matters a lot, in my opinion.
Activity: 672
Merit: 855
March 22, 2024, 04:22:09 PM
Both are good hardware wallet because the security of your hardware wallet depends on the back up of the recovery seed. I will say you should choose the foundation passport ahead of the Coldcard because the latter code is source verifiable  while the former is an open source.

The difference now lies on how developers pay attention to the source code, the source verifiable code are not advisable because it doesn’t get more attention of tech savvy guys since they can’t copy it into another project and Should there be twerk in it, it wouldn’t be notice early like open source. Aside that it is both a good wallet.

Now after making a choose of your wallet make sure to get a very good offline backup of the recovery seed as that also is an important part of keeping the wallet secure and safe.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 2971
Block halving is coming.
March 22, 2024, 04:12:54 PM
Someone already has a review about Coldcard here on the forum the only problem with Coldcard it's not open-source.
Passports wallet has open-source code it works just like Coldcard with advanced features and extra security, the design is way better than Coldcard and it looks like a phone.

So I think for me, a Passport hardware wallet is way better in terms of security and design.

You can check the comparison from this link below

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/list-open-source-hardware-wallets-5288971
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
March 22, 2024, 03:57:26 PM
Hello to all
I want to know your opinion. Which should I choose between Coldcard and Foundation Passport?
I don't care about the price of the wallet, it's about being safe and secure.
Thanks for your help dear friends
Pages:
Jump to: