Pages:
Author

Topic: Buying Bitcoin on margin - this could explode the market (and bank accounts) - page 3. (Read 2796 times)

legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1403

Margin increases demand instantaneously.

Margin increases demand but also that each time a trader buy then that means that there will be a time that he will need to sell it shortly which makes them neutral and wont affect the market at all. It is not like someone is holding after using this, someone is planning on short term which involve buying and selling simultaneously

I don't follow your thinking here - do you mean sell short or sell the bitcoin soon after buying it on margin?

Of course you dont, you are not a typical day trader type it seems

Margin is buying (or selling) on loan. Shorting is take a position on the stock/bitcoin that benefits me

I know what it is.

But if majority of people using margin are using it to facilitate quick swings in the price, then this would mute long term swings in the price.

It is not But If but it is the truth of people are doing with it and that is what I meant. Seriously why would someone even hold something for a long term which he get it from a loan? people are not doing this to be honest especially when there is a significant gain in the quick swing especially in this volatile moment.

It's a question of how many traders are using margin for short term transactions vs. long term transactions, or being able to finance hodl positions.

That would be a question for you, basically Im standing with that there will be more people that use it for quick swing instead. No one is holding things that they obtain via loan, the risk is far greater than expected profit.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Loose lips sink sigs!

Margin increases demand but also that each time a trader buy then that means that there will be a time that he will need to sell it shortly which makes them neutral and wont affect the market at all. It is not like someone is holding after using this, someone is planning on short term which involve buying and selling simultaneously

I don't follow your thinking here - do you mean sell short or sell the bitcoin soon after buying it on margin?

Buying stock/bitcoin on margin does not mean there has to be an equal short trade opposite that buy transaction. Margin and shorting aren't equal things, or opposite. Margin is buying (or selling) on loan. Shorting is take a position on the stock/bitcoin that benefits me if the price of that stock/bitcoin goes down. I can short a stock/bitcoin while owning it or while borrowing (on margin) that stock/bitcoin.

Additionally, just because I buy stock/bitcoin on margin doesn't mean I'm only looking for a short term hodl. The margin function allows me to buy more than I could today and I can pay back the loan (or cover the margin) without having to sell my position. But if majority of people using margin are using it to facilitate quick swings in the price, then this would mute long term swings in the price. It's a question of how many traders are using margin for short term transactions vs. long term transactions, or being able to finance hodl positions.
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1403
Think about it, the price is driven by supply and demand.

The price is driven by suppy, demands and also manipulation from the traders

The downside of margin is that the people that use it can end up upside down, broke, in a very short period of time if they make the wrong position.

It is a double edge sword if you dont know how this things work, in the end most people actually broke themselves with this if they are not accustomed to the way of how daily trading is. It is not about buying and holding, it is about buying and selling it back for either profit or loss at X percentage
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
so they raised it at the end, because x3 was really low, it seems that they raised it after my concern on it

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11514080
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Loose lips sink sigs!
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kraken-bitcoin-exchange-launches-margin-131500929.html;_ylt=AwrBT7u64HNVkAwAZG9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

Kraken, a San Francisco-based Bitcoin exchange, is pleased to announce the launch of margin trading. Margin is an exciting instrument that allows clients to amplify their trading profits and gain in both up and down markets.

Kraken is now one of the few exchanges allowing clients to trade bitcoins on margin. Within the next few weeks, Kraken will be offering up to 20x leverage.

There's alot of ways for the price of bitcoin to explode - one is for speculators to be able to buy it on margin. Think about it, the price is driven by supply and demand. Margin increases demand instantaneously. The downside of margin is that the people that use it can end up upside down, broke, in a very short period of time if they make the wrong position.
Pages:
Jump to: