Author

Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board - page 114. (Read 286370 times)

Activity: 648
Merit: 500
May 21, 2012, 11:27:01 AM
At the moment we are not taking Bitcoins or margin is too slim to consider anything that we don't fully understand all aspects of and right at the moment we are too busy to do that work. The volatility of exchange rates is also an issue for things being delivered up to 1-2 months. All of our costs are GBP or USD and we have no other option to reduce exchange risk and to use those currencies. Even the euro is becoming a problem although we already margined that. Our margin there is gone in the last week or so and we are watching what happens there. All of these traditional currencies have a big momentum and rarely change quickly which cannot be said about Bicoin.

MtGOX haas been suggested but elsewhere in the forum there are reports of problems and possibly insolvency so that is a big problem for us to go that way until it is clear what is the real situation.

Yohan
k, i'll be your guinea pig.
I will personally guarantee my payment through bit-pay.
i.e. if you receive less than the agreed upon price (minus transaction fees of course) due to exchange rate volatility, I will pay the difference prior to the product being shipped.
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
May 21, 2012, 09:42:54 AM
We have started to look at this and the services like Bit-pay do look like the way we would go for Bitcoin acceptance but we still need to walk though this properly and slowly. We don't want to run any volume on any new processing system in case there are problems and we would certainly get that if we said that this was available today. It's something we need to take time on and get right. Running the timeline on our build is enough to handle at the moment.

Something that is a little different to people outside of the UK is that we don't usually charge fees for Visa, Mastercard or PayPal processing but do generally limit the size of transacton to about £1500 maximum. It's always been an easy way for our customers to make small purchases like 1 or 2 boards. We run enough business through Paypal that the fee isn't too high to us and it looks nearly comparible to the Bitcoin conversion merchant handlers.

Yohan
Activity: 186
Merit: 100
May 21, 2012, 09:04:44 AM
How much are you getting paid to advocate bitpay, rjk ? Nice PR action.

TLDR : they act as a proxy - BTC comes in from buyer they ( bitinstant ) get a cut and pass the fiat as GBP to you.

Still risky and depending on their fees you might come ahead with normal fiat and CC and Paypal etc.

Surprised to see some heavy pushing of bitpay here ...

What a fucking troll.

I advocate the use of Bit-Pay, maybe they pay me for PR too ?

TheHarbinger is spot on with all his points, the merchant never has to deal with BTC, they set the price and get the price.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Why is it so damn hot in here?
May 21, 2012, 08:53:24 AM
Hello yohan, I hope I don't come across as too pushy, but I'd like to point out to you a few points as I have done with other merchants in the past in regards to accepting bitcoins as payment.

The main point I'd like to make is that if you use a merchant service provider such as http://bit-pay.com/ , they actually protect you against volatility and insulate you from that risk a few different ways. They allow you to set a price in GBP or USD or whatever currency, and then dynamically update the bitcoin price themselves.
Then, when someone decides to order, they lock in the price for 15 minutes to give the person time to pay, and guarantee you the exchange rate during that time so you won't lose out to fluctuations.

And once the customer has paid, they instantly convert to fiat money and deposit it into your bank account. With bit-pay (not sure about others), they also offer you the option of splitting the payout so you get some fiat and some bitcoins.

I hope this bit of information enables you to look into using a merchant service provider like bit-pay or paysius.com, and end rant thanks for listening.

TLDR : they act as a proxy - BTC comes in from buyer they ( bitinstant ) get a cut and pass the fiat as GBP to you.

Still risky and depending on their fees you might come ahead with normal fiat and CC and Paypal etc.

How is it risky?  They convert BTC to fiat at the current market price, with the fluctuation on the BTC side.  $500 my be 100 BTC one day, and 110 BTC the next, but it is still $500.  The fiat price stays the same regardless of the change in BTC value.  The merchant is totally isolated from the "volatility" of the BTC market.  In fact the merchant never even has to deal with BTC at all.

Fees?  Credit Cards and PayPal, and every payment processor charges a fee.  If the fee that is charged is unreasonably large, it gets added to the purchase price and paid by the customer, isolating the merchant from losses due to the fee.

BitPay (or another similar service) is getting pushed because it allows the merchant to receive fiat and allows the customer to pay in BTC.  Merchants like getting paid in fiat.  BitCoin users like paying in BTC.
rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
May 21, 2012, 08:50:50 AM

I'm not paid anything by them. The fee isn't a "risk", just something to factor into price. I don't like mtgox's half-baked "solution", and I need to do some more research into Paysius. I don't like pushing a single provider either, but there aren't many options available, and they have been around the longest. And they deserve a cut, doing all the work for you and absorbing the fluctuation risk.
Activity: 518
May 21, 2012, 08:22:40 AM
Hello yohan, I hope I don't come across as too pushy, but I'd like to point out to you a few points as I have done with other merchants in the past in regards to accepting bitcoins as payment.

The main point I'd like to make is that if you use a merchant service provider such as http://bit-pay.com/ , they actually protect you against volatility and insulate you from that risk a few different ways. They allow you to set a price in GBP or USD or whatever currency, and then dynamically update the bitcoin price themselves.
Then, when someone decides to order, they lock in the price for 15 minutes to give the person time to pay, and guarantee you the exchange rate during that time so you won't lose out to fluctuations.

And once the customer has paid, they instantly convert to fiat money and deposit it into your bank account. With bit-pay (not sure about others), they also offer you the option of splitting the payout so you get some fiat and some bitcoins.

I hope this bit of information enables you to look into using a merchant service provider like bit-pay or paysius.com, and end rant thanks for listening.

rjk
Activity: 448
1ngldh
May 21, 2012, 08:10:32 AM

May 21, 2012, 07:09:55 AM
We won't release details of our sources as that can be capitalised on by our competitors and finding these heatsinks took us a lot of research time. We will be offering them in our shop before long. The Enzotech parts are similar but in copper and we will be offering the equivalent of those as well. The copper parts are very heavy and don't offer a massive advantage over the aluminium we are using when air air is blown over them but some people will want them. The copper parts are also prone to mechanical damage as the copper is very soft. The samples we have here arrived with the vanes out of shape and the aluminium is much better in that respect.
Activity: 158
May 21, 2012, 04:29:14 AM

Issue 1.1 board no2. showing heatsink for first 100 units after then the same style but 10mm shorter. We will sell the longer version as an option probably in a copper option.

Hi Yohan,

I like the heatsinks you're using. Especially in copper. I'm looking around quite a while for a good and cheap heastsink. Not that easy...

I've found the Oetzi Alpenfoehn, but it's huge and expensive.

The Enzotech heatsinks are better and very similar to yours, but even more expensive and always out of stock.

What heatsink you are using? Where can I buy it?
Activity: 466
May 21, 2012, 03:45:54 AM

Are you going to test hashing soon?
May 21, 2012, 03:30:05 AM
At the moment we are not taking Bitcoins or margin is too slim to consider anything that we don't fully understand all aspects of and right at the moment we are too busy to do that work. The volatility of exchange rates is also an issue for things being delivered up to 1-2 months. All of our costs are GBP or USD and we have no other option to reduce exchange risk and to use those currencies. Even the euro is becoming a problem although we already margined that. Our margin there is gone in the last week or so and we are watching what happens there. All of these traditional currencies have a big momentum and rarely change quickly which cannot be said about Bicoin.

MtGOX haas been suggested but elsewhere in the forum there are reports of problems and possibly insolvency so that is a big problem for us to go that way until it is clear what is the real situation.

Yohan
Activity: 226
May 20, 2012, 08:58:32 PM
Yohan, are you guys working on accepting bitcoins for payment directly, or through BitPay perhaps?  I would prefer not to have to go through the whole "sell at an exchange, transfer to bank (5 days), withdraw funds, load to a prepaid card" hoop-jumping-through procedure if at all possible.

I'm quite sure most of us that have pre-ordered are funding the purchase with BTC in some way or another.

+100

Accept BitPay at the very least.

+1
May 20, 2012, 08:39:07 PM
Yohan, are you guys working on accepting bitcoins for payment directly, or through BitPay perhaps?  I would prefer not to have to go through the whole "sell at an exchange, transfer to bank (5 days), withdraw funds, load to a prepaid card" hoop-jumping-through procedure if at all possible.

I'm quite sure most of us that have pre-ordered are funding the purchase with BTC in some way or another.

+100

No, I think the very least would be Mt.Gox codes.   Grin
The very best would be direct BTC.
BitPay would be damn good.

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
May 20, 2012, 08:25:32 PM

+100

May 20, 2012, 08:19:25 PM

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
May 20, 2012, 06:26:40 PM
Yohan, it looks like you have the provisions for a molex power and fan headers, will these be on the boards, or just as in the picture?

Just re-read your updated first post, answered my own question

kind regards
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
May 20, 2012, 05:51:11 PM
What are the dimensions of the barrel power jack? Same as BFL?

Inner diameter: 2.5mm
Outer diameter: 5.5mm
Barrel length: 12mm
Polarity: Center 12V

thanks
legendary
Activity: 1022
BitMinter
May 20, 2012, 04:02:47 AM
Let me get it strait. I spent quite some time with my quad and my single boards to find out the best way to cool them. It doesn't really matter if you blow them with a tiny 40mm fan direct on the heatsink or with one or two 120mm fans from above or from the side. It also depends on the heatsink. The "gain" between a 120mm and a well placed 40mm is ridiculous. But I wish everyone that wants to build the perfect case good luck Grin

How many FPGAs do you have?

Never enough Cheesy only small numbers of different boards. So no big cluster to box in.
Activity: 556
May 20, 2012, 03:29:31 AM

This is really what hes thinkin.
legendary
Activity: 938
What's a GPU?
May 20, 2012, 03:19:18 AM
I have raised a motion to expand cognitive using five of these boards!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.910317
Jump to: