Author

Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board - page 109. (Read 286370 times)

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000
DiabloMiner author
May 29, 2012, 01:44:45 PM
I use a paperclip to short green to ground and a piece of tape to keep the paperclip from falling out. Simple solution that has worked for years running multiple PSUs per quad-SLI/CF rig.

You only need to short it to start it up, you dont need to leave it in there while its running.

If you remove the ground from the PWR_ON pin, I'm pretty sure it turns off the PSU. I don't have one to test on right now, but are you sure on that?

I'm pretty sure. I've started PSUs up to see if they're not fried due to their owner's stupidity (hate tech support, hate hate hate) and they stayed on until I cycled the power.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
May 29, 2012, 01:40:24 PM
I use a paperclip to short green to ground and a piece of tape to keep the paperclip from falling out. Simple solution that has worked for years running multiple PSUs per quad-SLI/CF rig.

You only need to short it to start it up, you dont need to leave it in there while its running.

If you remove the ground from the PWR_ON pin, I'm pretty sure it turns off the PSU. I don't have one to test on right now, but are you sure on that?
legendary
DiabloMiner author
May 29, 2012, 01:35:26 PM

Activity: 697
Merit: 500
May 29, 2012, 01:21:48 PM
Activity: 489
Immersionist
May 29, 2012, 04:13:02 AM
ok.
 what i want, is a switch without soldering ( maybe a pre-soldered one with 2 wires)  but i dont know even if it exists. i have splices, ferrules and heatshrink covers (dont like soldering)any idea? what can i do?

To start an ATX power supply are you do is short the green wire to ground. There are readily available solutions to do that.

Thanks to you both . That is what I did ( shorted green-ground) but I would like to add a switch like CAblez did but without soldering. ( maybe a presoldered switch or one with some kind of ferrules to crimp). do these kind of switches exist?

But dont worry too much my PSU has a big switch which i can use to turn off/on, and besides I`m thinking about buying any kind of atom, via nano or amd low power motherboard to install linux and cgminer on it.

I use this to switch on my ATX PSUs:
(which works fine in my case since I am not actually using any wires from the ATX plug)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
May 28, 2012, 03:47:08 PM
Update

First boards released into the wild today.

What about some performance numbers and info about your bitstream?  Did you solve the tx/rx issue?

kind regards
Activity: 518
May 28, 2012, 03:23:37 PM
Update

Can't wait to see some juicy pictures from people ( not that I don't believe you - I just happen to like hardware )
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
May 28, 2012, 02:59:08 PM
Update

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.
May 28, 2012, 10:15:25 AM
would it be possible to skip the host pc altogether and run it straight from a router once it's supported by cgminer, like P_Shep has done?

If you have the right kind of router yes it's possible. It won't work on just any apparently.
I don't have any experience with this, so P_Shep sounds like the guy to query.
Currently I use Atom D525 mobo/cpu's so far, and for the next purchase I am considering the raspberry Pi, just to see how well it handles it.
The Atom uses between 8-12 Watts most the time, so it's a real energy sipper right out of the box.
Activity: 648
May 28, 2012, 10:10:09 AM
would it be possible to skip the host pc altogether and run it straight from a router once it's supported by cgminer, like P_Shep has done?
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
May 28, 2012, 09:25:10 AM
well, i am not fond of FPGA needing PC to get to work!
i will wait for a stand alone solution with FPGA.
something like an FPGA router with preinstall linux and cgminer  Wink

You'll still be paying for the PC attached it regardless, even if it comes with it.
There are some very low cost "PC" that have made there way to working with FPGA's.

One that comes to mind is the Raspberry PI, it comes in at about $35. Certainly cheaper than most PC's use attached to them.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

There is also a few routers who can be re-flashed to be suitable for the job as well.

I preordered one in RS components. Maybe i should wait for it.  i have one aspire one with c70 c60 proccesor and it is really low powered  i though i could get some low powered mobo too.

You are right 70-80 w (where did I read 70-80w ?¿)   is too much for a dedicated miner mobo, but  I'm afraid that raspberrypi couldn't handle  10-20 cairnsmore1 boards.  

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.
May 28, 2012, 07:03:23 AM
something like an FPGA router with preinstall linux and cgminer  Wink

You'll still be paying for the PC attached it regardless, even if it comes with it.
There are some very low cost "PC" that have made there way to working with FPGA's.

One that comes to mind is the Raspberry PI, it comes in at about $35. Certainly cheaper than most PC's use attached to them.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

There is also a few routers who can be re-flashed to be suitable for the job as well.
Activity: 607
May 28, 2012, 06:43:40 AM
something like an FPGA router with preinstall linux and cgminer  Wink
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
May 28, 2012, 05:31:21 AM
But dont worry too much my PSU has a big switch which i can use to turn off/on, and besides I`m thinking about buying any kind of atom, via nano or amd low power motherboard to instal linux and cgminer on it.

None of those are really low powered, at least any kind of mini-itx or desktop style mobo.

I have a amd e350 mini-itx setup on a 60w brick, and the lowest I can get it down to is about 30w, still huge for something that is essentially doing nothing.  Quite a few atom systems with the GMA vid will get you below 20w.

Ideally you want to get a <10w system.  I have an eeepc701 that I can scrape down to just a bit over 10w, and I have an OLDE toshiba tablet PC that has a 600mhz p3 that I can trim to about 8w.  Lastly, if your up to it, you can get a raspberry pi and do <3w (NFI how to get a nix miner operating on a pi tho).

kind regards
May 28, 2012, 05:20:40 AM
ok.
 what i want, is a switch without soldering ( maybe a pre-soldered one with 2 wires)  but i dont know even if it exists. i have splices, ferrules and heatshrink covers (dont like soldering)any idea? what can i do?

To start an ATX power supply are you do is short the green wire to ground. There are readily available solutions to do that.

Thanks to you both . That is what I did ( shorted green-ground) but I would like to add a switch like CAblez did but without soldering. ( maybe a presoldered switch or one with some kind of ferrules to crimp). do these kind of switches exist?

But dont worry too much my PSU has a big switch which i can use to turn off/on, and besides I`m thinking about buying any kind of atom, via nano or amd low power motherboard to install linux and cgminer on it.

legendary
DiabloMiner author
May 27, 2012, 10:58:59 PM
ok.

legendary
Activity: 1400
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
May 27, 2012, 04:24:35 PM
Here are the two types of switches that I make:

Unfortunately you do have to solder the pins to the switch leads to get it like this.
May 27, 2012, 09:38:54 AM
ok.

legendary
Activity: 1400
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
May 27, 2012, 09:04:49 AM
I already make an ATX power switch for FPGA applications.  I will put up a pic soon so you can see what it entails.
May 27, 2012, 09:00:57 AM
To calm people down. I'm proud (not really) of showing you my seedy "no motherboards PSU plug"

Yohan if you are going to make a professional one please add a switch to it.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1903/img20120527142014.jpg
Jump to: