Pages:
Author

Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board - page 84. (Read 286370 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
June 24, 2012, 01:33:08 PM
The green connectors are not Molex. They are the Pheonix type that we already use a 6 way of on the Cairnsmore1 itself. The contacts on these are rated 12A roughly double that a Molex DD contact can carry. We also have no 5V. It's all 12V and 0V/GND so each PCIe string has 3 connectors connected and therefore 6 contacts each for both 12V and 0V/GND. So the Pheonix side is good for 72A if fully fitted up and that's way more that a PCIE string is rated for.

The Pheonix connector has a range of plug in mating halves including screw terminals. We also have an option to go directly to screw terminals on the boards so there are a range of options. It allows low tech wiring that suits your rig with no special criming tools needed.

I would expect 3-4 boards to be powered from each PCIE string this way but 5 or 6 might be possible. A lot depends on the host ATX power supply and it's wiring. We will look at those and experiment a bit. More on that in the coming weeks. We will be looking at wire grades and what currents can be carried to come up with the best usage in the stage. Whatever way you want to do it this board gives you easy usage of low cost ATX PSUs and the ability to make nice neat wiring rather than fighting the unbendable ATX power strings.

Of course if you want to stack these as well that is possible.

You should re-read what i said.

I cant believe i have to say this
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
June 24, 2012, 01:23:09 PM
The green connectors are not Molex. They are the Pheonix type that we already use a 6 way of on the Cairnsmore1 itself. The contacts on these are rated 12A roughly double that a Molex DD contact can carry. We also have no 5V. It's all 12V and 0V/GND so each PCIe string has 3 connectors connected and therefore 6 contacts each for both 12V and 0V/GND. So the Pheonix side is good for 72A if fully fitted up and that's way more that a PCIE string is rated for.

The Pheonix connector has a range of plug in mating halves including screw terminals. We also have an option to go directly to screw terminals on the boards so there are a range of options. It allows low tech wiring that suits your rig with no special criming tools needed.

I would expect 3-4 boards to be powered from each PCIE string this way but 5 or 6 might be possible. A lot depends on the host ATX power supply and it's wiring. We will look at those and experiment a bit. More on that in the coming weeks. We will be looking at wire grades and what currents can be carried to come up with the best usage in the stage. Whatever way you want to do it this board gives you easy usage of low cost ATX PSUs and the ability to make nice neat wiring rather than fighting the unbendable ATX power strings.

Of course if you want to stack these as well that is possible.
Activity: 481
Merit: 502
June 24, 2012, 01:10:15 PM
That power distribution board looks very well made and I like the fact it'll be stackable with the Cairnsmore1's, that's very nice! Smiley

Shame I wouldn't have any use for it with just my two boards!
June 24, 2012, 01:06:49 PM
I think the problem thre would be that 4-pin molex only carry 1 12v line. Where as the pci-e carry 2 to 3 12v lines.

That is not a problem, LOL you custom made this board bro. You can redistribute anyway you want.
Activity: 504
June 24, 2012, 12:58:20 PM
I think the problem thre would be that 4-pin molex only carry 1 12v line. Where as the pci-e carry 2 to 3 12v lines.
June 24, 2012, 12:51:59 PM
Power Distribution Board (CAD Image) - Available in approximately 1-2 weeks

Why there isnt 4pin molex input? You want to use all the available wires of a PSU right?
Activity: 397
June 24, 2012, 12:51:41 PM

Nice one! I hope the dimensions are the same as a cairnmore1 board Smiley

What's the price range of that and i think you have also a recommendation for a PSU that I need to use all connectors?
Activity: 686
June 24, 2012, 12:47:45 PM
cool
June 24, 2012, 12:28:22 PM

June 23, 2012, 03:09:39 PM
Everyone that had a June delivery indication should have had a request for payment now. If you didn't get one check your spam and contact us if you didn't find a request. Depending on how this weeks production goes we will start requesting payment for early July deliveries about the middle of this week.

Yohan
Activity: 697
June 23, 2012, 01:03:25 PM
I very much look forward to these boards replacing all my noisy GPUs. Second board is stacked with the first and they're hashing away quite nicely on 2 FPGAs each. Apologies on the photo quality, I'm hungover and barely functioning.

That's what I thought. Hopefully this will be week we move on and show real perfomance at least at about the 800MH/s level if not something more.

Bring on the speed!
June 23, 2012, 12:07:01 PM
Ok guy's lets not get too overheated. Here we are not worried about ***. In the main our customer base either does not believe the claims for whatever reason or simply don't want to support such an operation. I have given you the percentage and it's barely noticeable. We don't get worried about fair competition and remember our business is not entirely based on Bitcoin equipment. We have been doing other things for 23 years and still here in business. It's not a make or break market for us and that is good for all as we can be more reasoned and rational about what we do. I, like many of you, just don't like unfair tactics.

Do read what I said carefully. If there is actually something to worry about from *** and if an ASIC is the way we will look and see if that is viable to do. That's for later. There is a much bigger plan here and I have not shown our entire hand yet and I won't until we are ready to do so. I think we might still have an ACE or maybe even two let in the pack that might be a nice surprise for you all but I'm not promising anything yet. We have to make it all work and it's only our 9th week of working seriously in the Bitcoin market. We are still just at walking pace and warming up for the longer more difficult technical activities ahead.

Yohan
June 23, 2012, 11:28:20 AM
State of the Nation Time (What again!!!)

Yohan

Yohan, is it technically possible for you to start ASIC deveopment? We trust you and we can deposit lots of money for your kickstarter.

Its not too late now, i really hope you should start ASIC project now.

The FPGA project isn't even finished yet... I don't think they'd be starting an ASIC project until after that.

Don't let *** scare you..

Its a decision to outsource FPGA bitstream now. I would get third party working on the bitstream (there is a couple on the forums) and work out a license fee with them.

While kickstarting the ASIC development. Focus on the future market.
Activity: 481
Merit: 502
June 23, 2012, 10:44:35 AM

Yohan

Yohan, is it technically possible for you to start ASIC deveopment? We trust you and we can deposit lots of money for your kickstarter.

The FPGA project isn't even finished yet... I don't think they'd be starting an ASIC project until after that.

Don't let *** scare you..
Activity: 504
June 23, 2012, 10:24:09 AM

Yohan

I too would deposit for this. Especially if we know upfront our money is needed or being used in order to provide us a better product. =)
Activity: 397
June 23, 2012, 10:06:49 AM
@yohan: mail sent Smiley
June 23, 2012, 10:06:12 AM

Yohan

Activity: 199
Merit: 100
June 23, 2012, 09:30:15 AM
I think its a logically constructed discussion, trolling is completely different.
When did talking about a competitor become trolling ?

I dont think yohan was trying to elicit a response nor was he offtopic,
he was just making comparisons and proffering his opinion based on real world observations of what you can expect from his hardware
and comparing that to the performance of others hardware and customer support/satisfaction.

kind regards

I couldn't say it better Smiley
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
June 23, 2012, 09:09:57 AM
I think its a logically constructed discussion, trolling is completely different.
When did talking about a competitor become trolling ?

I dont think yohan was trying to elicit a response nor was he offtopic,
he was just making comparisons and proffering his opinion based on real world observations of what you can expect from his hardware
and comparing that to the performance of others hardware and customer support/satisfaction.

kind regards
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000
DiabloMiner author
June 23, 2012, 08:47:27 AM
Yohan

Hey man, I can't yell at *** for trolling Enterpoint and then let you guys troll them, even if ***'s offerings are less than, well, existent.

This is his thread, not one of ***'s.  Seems different to me.

Trolling is bad no matter what thread you put it in. Companies should remain professional.
Pages:
Jump to: