Pages:
Author

Topic: Cairnsmore1 - Quad XC6SLX150 Board - page 80. (Read 286370 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
June 27, 2012, 04:23:11 PM
You want this part for the 6 pin.

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/45559-0002/?qs=%2fFAXCdFYqP5%252b9357MWKI9g%3d%3d
You can get an 8pin, bu I prefer to make them 6+2. More versatile that way.

That's the wrong sex for what we are trying to find for the PDB. We have gone with the 3x2 that we already have on the Cairnsmore1 already so we know where to get it and we have stock anyway. A small update on the PDB is that we hope to have the first bare boards a bit earlier now on Friday and we will build one up quickly to test and show the real thing. If that's all ok we will have production quantities a couple of days later.
My mistake, I thought someone was looking for the female end to make cables from a large 12V supply.
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
June 27, 2012, 04:06:51 PM
Are you planning on contacting TMC (eldentyrell) and providing him with stuff he needs to make his bitstream compatible with Cairnsmore1?

We have had a conversation but it does need some work from our side that would take from our bitstream progression. So it's not likely to get us there much faster that our own approach. so for the moment we continue as we are.

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/45559-0002/?qs=%2fFAXCdFYqP5%252b9357MWKI9g%3d%3d

That's the wrong sex for what we are trying to find for the PDB. We have gone with the 3x2 that we already have on the Cairnsmore1 already so we know where to get it and we have stock anyway. A small update on the PDB is that we hope to have the first bare boards a bit earlier now on Friday and we will build one up quickly to test and show the real thing. If that's all ok we will have production quantities a couple of days later.
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
June 27, 2012, 03:57:45 PM
I followed these instructions, except I'm using the latest cgminer, which ive been using with the twin_test and shipping_test bitstreams.

I'm running the icarus v3 one at the moment, and on the board i can see it flashing green to say its found shares, but cgminer never reports it. Any idea why?

EDIT: after 10 minutes it has actually submitted 1 share, even though i've been watching the green lights flashing on the cairnsmore1 quite a few times now...

cgminer don't show you invalids, if you use mpbm then you will see much invalids. Every green flash means found share or invalid with this bitstream.

My board is now running ~20 hours and was working without invalids 14 hours, but now hashrate is down to 20Mh/s and much much invalids (80% both fpga's)). So the frequency/noise problem take it's place again after running correcly 14 hours.

That's realy anoying. I have tested everything now to get the unit working better as with the shipping bitstream, but nothing working longer than 14 hours.
All what we can do is, waiting for a better bitstream from enterpoint.

ebereon,

while it's true that cgminer doesn't show you invalids, if your hashing speed, as seen by the pool, remains more or less the same it means that there are not invalids.

I don't have invalids, my hashing speed is more or less constant even after a couple of days (with both mpbm and cgminer).

I've found that using --icarus-timing short or long makes no difference, so I've left cgminer think it is attached to an icarus board and it hashes happily with yellow leds on active FPGAs almost always off and ABC pool that tells me I'm at 680-780 MH/s using two boards with twin_test.bit.

So it is something different, IMHO, which is creating problems to you.

You're on a netbook with windows 7, if I'm not wrong, could it be that your netbook usb ports don't deliver enough power? Could it be that  power management/power saving functions of your netbook create problems in the long run?

Can you try to attach your board to a PC (not a netbook) and/or a PC with linux?

I don't want to start a flame war on windows vs linux, I use both when I have to, but I'm on linux and neither I have problems with cgminer nor I had problems with mpbm while I used it.

I went back to cgminer because Mpbm was not giving enough work to my FPGAs which had the yellow leds on even for 10 seconds in a row every now and then.

spiccioli.
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
June 27, 2012, 03:23:55 PM
My board is now running ~20 hours and was working without invalids 14 hours, but now hashrate is down to 20Mh/s and much much invalids (80% both fpga's)). So the frequency/noise problem take it's place again after running correcly 14 hours.

That's realy anoying. I have tested everything now to get the unit working better as with the shipping bitstream, but nothing working longer than 14 hours.
You're doing better than me, i cant even get cgminer/mpbm to connect with the twin_test or 190M_V3 bitstreams now, yet it will with the shipping config Sad
Activity: 397
Merit: 500
June 27, 2012, 03:14:42 PM
I followed these instructions, except I'm using the latest cgminer, which ive been using with the twin_test and shipping_test bitstreams.

I'm running the icarus v3 one at the moment, and on the board i can see it flashing green to say its found shares, but cgminer never reports it. Any idea why?

EDIT: after 10 minutes it has actually submitted 1 share, even though i've been watching the green lights flashing on the cairnsmore1 quite a few times now...

cgminer don't show you invalids, if you use mpbm then you will see much invalids. Every green flash means found share or invalid with this bitstream.

Activity: 481
Merit: 502
June 27, 2012, 02:56:19 PM
Eb when you did this did you use the twin_test.bit programing switches?

I followed what you did Ebereon I'm still unable to get hashing at over 100, I did have 1 ICA hashing for a few minutes but they always die after a little bit. I also tried the 190M_V3 bitstream but was unsuccessful on that as well.

In most cases when it will not work is the frequency/noise problem. See my post here -> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.992167

I use the programming switches for the shipping bitstream. But i got it also work with the switch settings for the twin_test.bit.

190M_V3.bit is running @ 401Mh/s  (1 hour average) on p2pool stats, so far so good.

I will post an update tomorrow.

Im about to get my boards later this week and it seems like your the who's reporting in with best numbers. Could you please specify what bitstream you are runnin running with what miner and what versions ?

Thank you in advance.

I use:
Original Icarus bitstream "190M_V3.bit"
MPBM latest git with some changes on Win7 32bit
Worker setting in MPBM 115200 baud, jobinterval 11.34

Standard unit switch settings:
SW1 1234 on
SW6 1 off, 234 on
SW2 1234 on
SW3 2 off, 134 on
SW4 2 off, 134 on
SW5 1234 on

Programming switch settings:
SW1 3 off, 124 on
SW6 1234 on
SW2 - SW5 same as Standard

I can programm only in the temporary mode, if i turn off the unit then it have the shipping bitstream again.

I hope this helps a bit  Wink

greets,
eb

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
June 27, 2012, 02:41:09 PM
Activity: 560
June 27, 2012, 02:09:00 PM
Are you planning on contacting TMC (eldentyrell) and providing him with stuff he needs to make his bitstream compatible with Cairnsmore1?
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
June 27, 2012, 11:46:58 AM
We did look at putting in the 4x2 PCIE as well but could not find the part number for the special keying it has and the Molex website doesn't help very much.

This is the Molex 45586 series, which should be available here: http://www.molex.com/molex/products/crawllistview.jsp?query=45586&npp=20&sType=s&fs=&channel=Products
But for some reason it returns 0 results on molex.com...

Edit: Apparently the 8-pin PCIe power connector is a trade secret; that would be why it appears impossible to source outside of the group of PCI-SIG members: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/datasheets-manuals-parts/103572-pcie-8-pin-header-part-number-2.html#post896634
Quite unbelievable for such a simple stupid part...

It doesn't surprise me that PCIsig would try and keep a secret of this. It's a very greedy organisation. The amount they charge just for a PCIe spec is enormous. However I would not be surprised if there isn't a Chinese clone available somewhere out there. It's the identifying and getting hold of the parts that is the biggest issue.

On a side note we are looking at the emails send to the new support email and we will try and make a proper response on these before too long. Please bear with us on this we aren't doing *** style response here and deliberately ignoring you all but at the moment our main focus is the new design bitstream which is now getting more time and resource to bring that into shape. Once we have the first version of that the up/down function won't be far behind and the Cairnsmore1 design will start to show what we think it is really capable of doing.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
June 27, 2012, 11:31:17 AM
rjk: nope. This 45586 part (there are many of them) and the other do not have the plastic bridge between pins 7-8, and (as you pointed out) do not appear to have the right keying which should be:

LL
RRSS
SRRR

L = Latch
R = Round
S = Square
Sorry my bad! I got mixed up between 8-pin PCIe and EPS12V. The thing is, the additional 2 pins on a PCIe 8-pin connector are unnecessary - they are just signals connected to ground and do not carry current.

EPS12V goes like this:

LL
RSSR
SRRS
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
June 27, 2012, 11:23:26 AM
rjk: nope. This 45586 part (there are many of them) and the other do not have the plastic bridge between pins 7-8, and (as you pointed out) do not appear to have the right keying which should be:

LL
RRSS
SRRR

L = Latch
R = Round
S = Square
rjk
1ngldh
June 27, 2012, 11:20:36 AM
Actually, I think the 45586 has the wrong keying, but the 50-36-1744 looks like it might work? The PDF shows a 10-pin version, but I can't tell what the keying is on the 8-pin version.
rjk
1ngldh
June 27, 2012, 11:07:10 AM
We did look at putting in the 4x2 PCIE as well but could not find the part number for the special keying it has and the Molex website doesn't help very much.

This is the Molex 45586 series, which should be available here: http://www.molex.com/molex/products/crawllistview.jsp?query=45586&npp=20&sType=s&fs=&channel=Products
Looks like Mouser has them, and when I click the datasheet link on Mouser's page, it brings me here on Molex's werbsite: http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0455860004_MOLEX_PARTS.xml which looks like the right part.

EDIT: PDF datasheet here: http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/455860004_sd.pdf
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
June 27, 2012, 10:35:47 AM

Edit: Apparently the 8-pin PCIe power connector is a trade secret; that would be why it appears impossible to source outside of the group of PCI-SIG members: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/datasheets-manuals-parts/103572-pcie-8-pin-header-part-number-2.html#post896634
Quite unbelievable for such a simple stupid part...
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
June 27, 2012, 10:19:28 AM
Well now i have all my boards. only opened one, and using your advices could hash with shipping bitstream (and twin_test).

I (temporaly) programed 0 and 3 fpgas but couldn't permanent program them.  anyone with permanent programming has a piece of advice?

I`ve used "--icarus-timing short" and speed's still weird

looking forward your  ribbon cables support.
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
June 27, 2012, 10:05:41 AM
Serials 110 and 111 delivered today. They are now hashing for more than 2 hours with twin_test.bit at a total of ~770MH/s as reported by Ozcoin.

Couldn't store the bitstream in flash with xc3sprog "-I" parameter though Sad
This is the same problem than the one reported here by others ("ISF Bitfile probably not loaded").

Hope the rig remains stable...
rjk
1ngldh
June 27, 2012, 08:57:35 AM
rjk,

here the image of the boards, on the left serial nr 62-008 and on the right, 62-104 with its military green hue Smiley

http://p2pool.soon.it/cgminer/cm1.jpg
Cool!
June 27, 2012, 03:37:21 AM
ebereon,

did you try the 200MH/s bitstream available for icarus?

https://github.com/ngzhang/Icarus/tree/master/Downloads/bitsteam/200MHz_for_test

spiccioli

yes, works with huge invalids.

At the moment also the 190M_V3.bit have invalids, i think we can't do anything, it's the Frequency/noise problem and it looks like after some hours hashing it gets more and more invalids. I'm off now for work i will report my hashing rate later today.
legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
June 27, 2012, 03:30:14 AM
ebereon,

did you try the 200MH/s bitstream available for icarus?

https://github.com/ngzhang/Icarus/tree/master/Downloads/bitsteam/200MHz_for_test

spiccioli
June 27, 2012, 03:25:24 AM
Eb when you did this did you use the twin_test.bit programing switches?

I followed what you did Ebereon I'm still unable to get hashing at over 100, I did have 1 ICA hashing for a few minutes but they always die after a little bit. I also tried the 190M_V3 bitstream but was unsuccessful on that as well.

In most cases when it will not work is the frequency/noise problem. See my post here -> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.992167

I use the programming switches for the shipping bitstream. But i got it also work with the switch settings for the twin_test.bit.

190M_V3.bit is running @ 401Mh/s  (1 hour average) on p2pool stats, so far so good.

I will post an update tomorrow.

Im about to get my boards later this week and it seems like your the who's reporting in with best numbers. Could you please specify what bitstream you are runnin running with what miner and what versions ?

Thank you in advance.

I use:
Original Icarus bitstream "190M_V3.bit"
MPBM latest git with some changes on Win7 32bit
Worker setting in MPBM 115200 baud, jobinterval 11.34

Standard unit switch settings:
SW1 1234 on
SW6 1 off, 234 on
SW2 1234 on
SW3 2 off, 134 on
SW4 2 off, 134 on
SW5 1234 on

Programming switch settings:
SW1 3 off, 124 on
SW6 1234 on
SW2 - SW5 same as Standard

I can programm only in the temporary mode, if i turn off the unit then it have the shipping bitstream again.

I hope this helps a bit  Wink

greets,
eb

Pages:
Jump to: