Pages:
Author

Topic: Can bitcoin really save Greece? - page 7. (Read 10414 times)

legendary
Activity: 1168
Merit: 1049
July 05, 2015, 05:24:09 PM
Greek people really wanted bitcoins but couldn't get them because the euros in their bank accounts don't actually exist.
Activity: 476
Merit: 251
July 05, 2015, 05:02:34 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/03/greek-referendum-what-the-experts-say

An interesting read. There are booth those who argument against NO and YES alike.
The two that got me thinking:

Vicky Pryce - YES
Chief economic adviser at the Centre for Economic and Business Research

Pryce believes both sides are equally to blame in letting the Greek debt crisis get to a point now fraught with immense political and economic risks for the entire eurozone. “The referendum should never have been held. But I would vote yes,” she says.

There has been too much austerity but a no vote would make things worse. It would almost certainly mean banks becoming insolvent, an exit from the euro and a much faster decline in economic activity, with hyperinflation following as the drachma that is introduced instantly devalues.

A yes vote would keep banks open and give mandate for a deal to be struck that recognises the new Greek realities and includes, as the IMF now says, restructuring of the debt which every economist knows is unsustainable.

Professors of economics at Greek universities - YES
In an open letter, 246 professors at economics schools and universities in Greece urged people to vote yes on Sunday or risk leaving the EU.

Taking into account that the proposals of our creditors and the Greek government were converging until last Friday, we believe that what is really at stake in the coming referendum, irrespective of the precise formulation of the question, is whether Greece will remain, or not, in the eurozone and, possibly, whether it will remain in the EU itself...

Leaving the eurozone, especially in this chaotic and superficial way, would likely lead to a process of leaving the EU too, with unpredictable and disastrous consequences for the national security and the democratic stability of our country.

With this no vote I'm not sure where all this is headed. If it gets to the point where Greece leaves the EU, then the EU will suffer a major defeat.

If they get the drachma back, and I was greek, I'd put a large stash of my savings into bitcoin instead. It can't save the country, maybe it can save some of the people.
Activity: 221
Merit: 100
July 05, 2015, 03:50:32 PM
so, all the people who are asking for money did not earn it? Did the people ever work for the money that can`t be taken out of banks?

All the citizens of Greece have been living on loans is that what you are saying larry12?

Help me understand

Yes, the last few years....loans from EU or Germany call it what u want Smiley

Activity: 577
Merit: 500
July 05, 2015, 03:46:38 PM
so, all the people who are asking for money did not earn it? Did the people ever work for the money that can`t be taken out of banks?

All the citizens of Greece have been living on loans is that what you are saying larry12?

Help me understand
July 05, 2015, 03:43:02 PM
It is not the peoples fault it`s the banks who will not give the people money that belongs to them  Wink

nope, the Greeks are faulty....they dont have working economic, the only reason they are not in a collapse already is the EU is giving them a huge loans....loans they cant return  Wink

I have no idea are u ever been in Greece, its beautiful country but the people are lazy, the main reason for their scenario now.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
July 05, 2015, 03:33:42 PM
Well short term it seems that Greece is giving bitcoin a nice boost!
We've been to $275, lets see if we hit 300 in the next day or so.

Who knows, maybe this willl get Greece a better deal from the EU... or maybe Grexit and bitcoin to the moon
Activity: 577
July 05, 2015, 03:33:16 PM
It is not the peoples fault it`s the banks who will not give the people money that belongs to them  Wink
July 05, 2015, 03:13:30 PM
Greece says NO to EU at today’s referendum.
All i can say - The most stupid thing they can do......this is the beginning of huge financial collapse.....

I’m in EU too and in a matter of fact i think they didnt deserve any more help.....at the last years the Greeks eat and drink almost 500 billions $ and after that the whole EU must pay the bill..... so..... game over motherfuckers, now u need get some real work.

Please donate here : 1KPp2EVWJMRJpH9d6ZJtQTZPERSBeHCnAg

Lets buy some Lubricants for all Greeks, they will need it......  Grin Grin

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1036
July 05, 2015, 02:44:16 PM
Can Greece really save bitcoin?

Lol.. that is the question which should be asked. We are discussing about the probability that Greece will be saved by a currency, whose value has declined by 80% in the last 18 months. The Bitcoin adoption is going down considerably, and the number of people who use Bitcoin for their online shopping has also gone down steeply.

Bitcoin went into bubble mode in late 2013, and bottomed out back in January. Since then it has actually been performing pretty well the last six months, despite the warring factions on the scalability debate. So I think Bitcoin is fundamentally healthy enough.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1043
#Free market
July 05, 2015, 06:20:07 AM
No, it can't. Bitcoin is not the salvation of any state but it can help some people to save their 'money'....
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
July 05, 2015, 06:16:17 AM

Lol.. that is the question which should be asked. We are discussing about the probability that Greece will be saved by a currency, whose value has declined by 80% in the last 18 months. The Bitcoin adoption is going down considerably, and the number of people who use Bitcoin for their online shopping has also gone down steeply.

Obviously I can't speak for the whole community, but I just spent 3~ BTC over at newegg.com a couple of weeks ago, and it seems that more opportunities to spend online are opening up every day, so I wouldn't argue that online shopping through Bitcoin is on the decline.

I think online shopping is growing, however "offline" purchasing is still an issue. Since bitcoin is a digital asset buying things in the local shop will be problematic for a good while. Also, e.g. newegg.com is a cool site in the USA, but getting stuff to the EU from there is not easy.

First of all, assuming bitcoin can save Greece, the fact that Greece cannot afford enough bitcoins as their Govt revenue puts a full stop over the debate. Secondly, people cannot buy bitcoins because their money is trapped. Assuming they can buy bitcoin, shop keepers in Greece don't accept bitcoins but cash. Even if that problem is sorted out, what about the increase in price level after Greece adopts bitcoin? The whole point of their debt and economic collapse was that they couldn't afford euro, you think they can afford bitcoin? LOL.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
July 05, 2015, 04:54:36 AM

Just look at that face! Greece is on the verge of economic destruction and he's posing for cameras with a smile like he won the lottery.
And how much does this referendum cost and who will pay for it ? They are supposed to lead the country, and not waste money to ask common people for answers they should provide themselves.

The point that i'm trying to make here is that there's noone who can save Greece Not until people realize that they need to lock up their leaders, and start acting like a responsible adults.
Bitcoin can help people make transactions under any environment, but it can't cure human stupidity, but just my opinion in the end..

cheers
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
July 05, 2015, 04:44:21 AM
I have close to 200 craigslist ads saying "Bitcoin & cash accepted" and merchant apps ready to rock, but local bitcoiners don't want to pay for my stuff with BTC, only cash. They could even pay in advance of pickup, but nope.
Activity: 476
Merit: 251
July 05, 2015, 04:13:20 AM

Obviously I can't speak for the whole community, but I just spent 3~ BTC over at newegg.com a couple of weeks ago, and it seems that more opportunities to spend online are opening up every day, so I wouldn't argue that online shopping through Bitcoin is on the decline.

I think online shopping is growing, however "offline" purchasing is still an issue. Since bitcoin is a digital asset buying things in the local shop will be problematic for a good while. Also, e.g. newegg.com is a cool site in the USA, but getting stuff to the EU from there is not easy.
Activity: 686
July 04, 2015, 10:56:54 PM
Just look at this crow i wish someone had gone there with a bitcoin flag or with flyers at least and pass them out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNxHc6qMotg a sea of people wonderful watching crows like that gather for one cause.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034
July 04, 2015, 08:34:43 PM

legendary
RIP Mommy
July 04, 2015, 08:23:54 PM

I don't sell at a loss, which is why I'm not using BTC for online shopping. But...

I'd like to see metrics on the last two points rather than just Overstock.com's SEC-EDGAR filings.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
July 04, 2015, 08:16:11 PM

legendary
RIP Mommy
July 04, 2015, 07:49:19 PM
I saw an interesting post on the Bitcoin subreddit recently. The OP was arguing that Bitcoin could not save the people of Greece, but could be used to support the merchants and sellers within the country. The idea is that us Bitcoin users worldwide should be making an attempt to purchase Greek goods with our Bitcoin, as the local currency is, obviously, falling apart. I think this is precisely the role that Bitcoin should be playing in Greece.

On that note... http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/07/03/spartan-route-buying-greek-exports-with-bitcoin/
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034
July 04, 2015, 07:43:31 PM
I saw an interesting post on the Bitcoin subreddit recently. The OP was arguing that Bitcoin could not save the people of Greece, but could be used to support the merchants and sellers within the country. The idea is that us Bitcoin users worldwide should be making an attempt to purchase Greek goods with our Bitcoin, as the local currency is, obviously, falling apart. I think this is precisely the role that Bitcoin should be playing in Greece.
Pages:
Jump to: