Pages:
Author

Topic: Can Bitcoin Volatility Be Controlled? - page 24. (Read 12120 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 102
October 23, 2017, 06:43:31 PM
If someone can buy the majority of the supply of bitcoin then it is possible to control the volatility because the volatility comes from the sudden changes in supply and if the supply can be controlled then even there will be a lot of demand in the market. The volatility will not occur unless the huge whale will sell some of the bitcoins to the buyers.

You have a point.  If there is a change in the supply and demand,  bitcoin is affected and it is possible that by controlling this the volatility of bitcoin will be controlled.  But I don't think that it would be that easy  because volatility is one of the main features o bitcoin and this had made bitcoin reach its price now.  Volatility is what attracted investors and if someone is able to control it through supply and demand therefore bitcoin is no longer decentralized.

Probably you can't controlled the volatility of bitcoin because it has already been a nature coin to decentralized currency. And yet there many investors who was likely in volatile due to the fact that no one investors would invest if the circumtance is stable because they have a lot of bitcoin in there own.
Activity: 588
Merit: 250
October 23, 2017, 05:34:48 PM
If someone can buy the majority of the supply of bitcoin then it is possible to control the volatility because the volatility comes from the sudden changes in supply and if the supply can be controlled then even there will be a lot of demand in the market. The volatility will not occur unless the huge whale will sell some of the bitcoins to the buyers.

You have a point.  If there is a change in the supply and demand,  bitcoin is affected and it is possible that by controlling this the volatility of bitcoin will be controlled.  But I don't think that it would be that easy  because volatility is one of the main features o bitcoin and this had made bitcoin reach its price now.  Volatility is what attracted investors and if someone is able to control it through supply and demand therefore bitcoin is no longer decentralized.
Activity: 308
Merit: 108
October 23, 2017, 03:59:33 PM
Volatility is one among the major key factor with bitcoin. If there is no volatility, this could have never been that popular providing users lots and lots of earning opportunities. People fear about the volatile nature, but in reality it can't function as gold or USD in a stable manner.
This is true; its votality is the main feature of it so we can't remove it
 I believe it cannot be controlled as the users want; it will rise or fall depending on what is happening in the environment and bitcoin users have to deal with it. Thinking that bitcoin's vitality is unpredictable and inevitable, we can say that we are the ones who need to adjust in these kind of situations.
Activity: 1988
Merit: 254
PredX - AI-Powered Prediction Market
October 23, 2017, 02:21:00 PM
I think the simplest reason that big restaurants have not added Bitcoin to its payment portfolio is because of its volatility and volatility. Therefore, it can cause them to lose, too risky so they do not accept it
Activity: 1722
Merit: 309
October 23, 2017, 02:20:54 PM
Activity: 639
Merit: 251
October 23, 2017, 01:39:06 PM
If that were happen many people would have left bitcoin, and traders would change their mind and their purpose which they have now, so tamed there is no chance and place to do.
Activity: 217
Merit: 14
October 23, 2017, 01:37:28 PM
Volatility is one among the major key factor with bitcoin. If there is no volatility, this could have never been that popular providing users lots and lots of earning opportunities. People fear about the volatile nature, but in reality it can't function as gold or USD in a stable manner.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
October 23, 2017, 01:32:38 PM
No it is really hard you will require a huge amount of funds or bitcoins the issue is there are too many exchanges so if one tries to make changes in price to one exchange nothing would happen it will come back to normal either more people will start selling buying won't take place. Price of altcoins can be controlled but bitcoin not a chance
Activity: 1862
Merit: 830
October 23, 2017, 12:49:03 PM
I personally think that the reason why people invest in bitcoins and make a huge profit out of them is because of this volatility only.
The reason behind the huge success of cryptocurrency is that people buy when the price is very low and sell it at the time of high price to gain profit, it can't be made completely stable but its volatility can be controlled.. of that they need to be legalized and accepted worldwide, also they need to be accepted as a mode of payment... When it will get legal people will obviously not doubt bitcoins the second time and the holders will also increase ultimately making it more stable.
Merit: 251
HELENA
October 23, 2017, 10:53:26 AM
I have read some posts and some concerns that it is the volatility of Bitcoin that is preventing many people and many businesses to fully adopt Bitcoin. This can be the main factor why big online shopping stores are not yet adding Bitcoin into their payment facilities (though there is now a circulated petition for this but I doubt if it can make a dent).

Some are really saying that if volatility can be managed then we can see Bitcoin going mainstream. I am wondering then: Is volatility something that we should find a way to control and how do you think it can be done?

In my opinion,bitcoin's volatility cannot be control by any means since bitcoin is decentralized and the demand also changes. The price are effected by supply and demand that can't control by anyone.
Merit: 257
October 23, 2017, 10:40:56 AM
Volatility means sudden and rapid change in the price.
Currencies which have centralised in nature can be controlled by making increase or decrease in supply.
Bitcoin is a decentralised currency.
One cannot control its its supply so its volatility.
Its volatility may reduce if more and more persons start using it.
It is this volatility that is helping the traders to earn profit from this currency.
Activity: 490
Merit: 107
October 22, 2017, 09:57:38 AM
I have read some posts and some concerns that it is the volatility of Bitcoin that is preventing many people and many businesses to fully adopt Bitcoin. This can be the main factor why big online shopping stores are not yet adding Bitcoin into their payment facilities (though there is now a circulated petition for this but I doubt if it can make a dent).

Some are really saying that if volatility can be managed then we can see Bitcoin going mainstream. I am wondering then: Is volatility something that we should find a way to control and how do you think it can be done?
I think, it cannot be controlled. Volatility means there's always a change and in the case of Bitcoin, on its market value. Its price is dependent with its market demand. As its demand increase, same thing will happen with its value. So if more people will be into Bitcoin  the demand will increase that will make the value of Bitcoin highly stable, but still, backdrops will be expected but not as big as usual.
Yeah volatility is always entangle with this currency like the stock market as long as the law of supply and demand is concern this will continue volatile the important things is that there no major backdrop of its price we cannot control the volatility of BTC but at least because the is no major backdrop of the price but instead in continue soaring in the near future it would gain trust to some major financial institution.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 286
October 22, 2017, 08:46:16 AM

I think, it cannot be controlled. Volatility means there's always a change and in the case of Bitcoin, on its market value. Its price is dependent with its market demand. As its demand increase, same thing will happen with its value. So if more people will be into Bitcoin  the demand will increase that will make the value of Bitcoin highly stable, but still, backdrops will be expected but not as big as usual.
Activity: 254
Merit: 100
October 22, 2017, 08:39:18 AM
As of now I don't think bitcoin volatility can be controlled but maybe if all of people will keep holding bitcoin and not converting it into fiat then that would be the time that bitcoin price will be stable.
Activity: 222
October 22, 2017, 07:59:42 AM
I think bitcoin can not be controlled by any country because bitcoin is not the same as money, if money is controlled by the government of a country and central bank. I think it becomes an excess bitcoin when compared with money
Activity: 350
October 22, 2017, 07:27:22 AM
Just like all kind of currencies, bitcoin need something to live as well: Faith. I think bitcoin need more years to have a stable price, because human race's accepting of big things sometimes have been took many years maybe the centuries in the history. I think it is a really low possibility to see the bitcoin's prices non-volatile in the near future. All its need is more supporter and more time.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008
October 22, 2017, 07:14:35 AM
The volatility of any currency can be controlled through artificial means, just like the fiat currencies. If you want to prevent the exchange rates from falling beyond a certain point, then you can hoard more of the currency and if you want to do just the opposite, then you can dump it. But what makes doing similar stuff to Bitcoin more complex is the lack of existence of a centralized exchange.
Activity: 476
Merit: 259
October 22, 2017, 07:05:21 AM
It is really hard to control , and I believe it will only be possible when bitcoin's market cap will be few trillions of dollars, but it is possible.

If a very large group decides that they want the btc price to stay capped at 1M$, all they need to do is to make a very large buy order at 999,999$, and a very large sell order at 1M$, it will make the price capped at about 1m$, cause everyone who wants to buy/sell will have to do it at that price.
It is not possible with the current bitcoin market cap though.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
October 22, 2017, 06:59:06 AM
Well, I actually understand that there is some need to go with context and whatever is the practice of the day, and these days the upcoming trend is to attempt to get airdrops through hardforks.  So, yeah, it is likely that we will see a variety of alts created or attempted through such new and "acceptable" methodologies.  Does not mean that I need to praise such new methodologies... so we are going to have DooBitcointmMAD coming out soon, too?
legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
October 22, 2017, 06:43:53 AM
Bitcoin volatility can be controlled, once all the government and banks takes action into controlling bitcoins prices then the price of all cryptocurrencies will become stable. Governments have the power to stabilized a market and monitor every movement and transactions that will be made. The banks on the other hand can provide financial support and structure so that the use of cryptocurrencies will be more stable

But why would they want that?

That would mean direct intervention (read market manipulation) and putting a currency (in this case Bitcoin) into the so-called fixed (pegged) exchange rate mode (or a variety of it known as a currency band or range). Most countries try to move to a system based on floating exchange rates and support the exchange rate of their currencies via economic growth, which is a sort of natural (organic) exchange rate stabilizer or equalizer, in contrast with monetary policies and direct market intervention, which may cost dear in the long run
Pages:
Jump to: