Pages:
Author

Topic: Can regular people mine anymore - page 2. (Read 1237 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 110
May 23, 2018, 02:14:44 AM
Basic psychology can explain why people want mining to last, people want to be happy. They want to earn passively without much effort. It's a dream come true for some, even me.

However, a simple reality check of the current situation will show you that GPU mining won't last. You have been warned.
Activity: 234
Merit: 2
May 23, 2018, 01:54:36 AM
Im a regular guy and I have 28 GPUs strictly for mining.  Im in it for the $$$.  I play the coins and I mine for BTC earnings(not to be confused with mining BTC) when Im too tired to research what to mine any given day. Maybe ill get rich, maybe I wont but Its fun scaling up.  Building another mining rig this weekend.
Activity: 119
Aquachain
May 23, 2018, 12:42:53 AM
I heard regular people can't mine anymore... is it possibe to mine any significant amount of coins? What equiment does it take to get started?

I'm new to crypto, but mining seems to be way less risky than trading. But I'm no programmer... what do I need to do to get started?

check out aquachain, a new coin, you can mine to a pool with a laptop or better.

of course, machines with better CPU will get more coin than others. but if you have one or a few computers you can dedicate to mining 24/7 you can start by just trying to coordinate them all to mine to the same pool

as far as mining AQUA (process is similar for all coins):

step 1: download (or compile) the aquaminer and aquachain programs from https://github.com/aquanetwork/aquachain/releases

step 2: unzip, and, if you want, rename the executable to 'aquaminer' (or 'aquaminer.exe' on windows) and 'aquachain'

step 3: create an aquachain wallet with the 'aquachain.exe' command ('aquachain.exe account new' or inside the AQUA console: 'personal.newAccount()')

step 4: open a console window (windows 'cmd'). start the miner with chosen pool like so (make sure to change the address which is zeros here:

Code:
aquaminer.exe -r 1s -F http://pool.aquachain-foundation.org:8888/0x000000000000000000000000000000000000000/worker1

or

Code:
aquaminer.exe -r 1s -F http://aqua.signal2noi.se:19998/0x000000000000000000000000000000000000000/worker1

step 5: automate this by creating a shortcut or script to make it easy to launch your miners.

Output should look like this (i5 6600k skylake):

You can replace 'worker1' with any short string to keep track of particular workers. some ideas are the cpu or server type.

Its good to check the pool's 'miners' page and click your address to see each of your worker's stats, in case maintenance is required.

about aquachain: 1 coin reward per 4 minute block, with scheduled hard forks and eth compatible smart contracts. began march 3rd this year.

have fun and keep mining!
Activity: 105
May 22, 2018, 10:58:08 PM

. ASICs are great at this and unless devs do something to dennounce them, ASICs will take over the entire crypto-mining scene.

IDk if FPGAs are stoppable, asic resistance seems kinda pointless atm IMO
Activity: 406
Merit: 110
May 22, 2018, 10:01:57 PM
Regular person with 66 gpus here. Seriously what makes one a non-regular person? Whether you mine with 1 card of 1k cards its still profitable atm.

My opinion is that regular in this sense refers to gamers or casual enthusiasts who are mining with less than 13-GPUs in a single mobo at home. Anything below that and i believe they are mining inefficiently to the point that they will be the first ones to go when mining becomes unprofitable altogether.

GPU mining is now about maximizing your mining revenue while reducing your electrical costs. ASICs are great at this and unless devs do something to dennounce them, ASICs will take over the entire crypto-mining scene.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
May 22, 2018, 06:07:38 PM
Regular person with 66 gpus here. Seriously what makes one a non-regular person? Whether you mine with 1 card of 1k cards its still profitable atm.
May 22, 2018, 03:32:20 PM
LOL at all these guys with 4+ GPUs saying they're normal.

Roll Eyes

I don't understand what your point is. You're making it sound like having a couple of hundred bucks makes you beyond the capability of a normal person. 4+ GPU is not unattainable to a normal person, especially if it is something you save up for or put a little time into. I have 4+ 1080TI and I'm a normal person, definitely a computer enthusiast though, don't know if that disqualifies me.

This thread seemed to be comparing asic & GPU mining, and once you've spent enough for 4 or more GPU, you are as far into it as someone who bought an asic instead.   You either have a mining setup(many GPUs/ASIC) or you don't. Since most people don't have more than two(gaming) tops, I would say that you're a miner, not a regular person.  Nothing wrong with it, just saying that if you don't have some sort of a rig/asic, you can't expect to really make anything over change every few months.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
May 21, 2018, 11:27:28 PM

Roll Eyes

I don't understand what your point is. You're making it sound like having a couple of hundred bucks makes you beyond the capability of a normal person. 4+ GPU is not unattainable to a normal person, especially if it is something you save up for or put a little time into. I have 4+ 1080TI and I'm a normal person, definitely a computer enthusiast though, don't know if that disqualifies me.
It is the internet.  It takes all kinds.  I have 17 GPU and I can tell you I didnt pay full price for more than half of them and about 4 I got for free.  There are all kinds of ways if your resourceful.
Activity: 462
Merit: 336
May 21, 2018, 11:20:50 PM

Roll Eyes

Activity: 47
May 21, 2018, 11:12:07 PM
I dont get why I see these threads over and over. Im pulling almost $30 a day ETH or 600 + RVN coins. 12 cards. 5 RX 580 Saphire Nitro + Special Edition, 5 EVAG 1080's, 1 EVAG 1080 ti FTW3 and one MSI 1070ti

$30 a day with ETH those 12 GPUs? Sure you are.. I highly doubt it.

Anyway what you need to consider is not TODAY but the NEXT MONTH (June) because that is when the first batch of Z9 ASICs arrive and that is probably also when NVIDIA may announce the new series of 1100 GPUs. Z9 ASICs will reduce profitability and new GPUs will surely reduce the value of your old GPUs.

Add to that the threat of Ethereum switching from POW to POS, then you have a massive shit storm coming to miners. Probably not a good idea to start mining right now.
I have 6 RX 480 and 6 1070 and I make $20 a day before electricity costs with is about 1.50 per rig ($3 total).  I started mining Jan 22 and my break even date is July 22.  You can believe what you want but the math (and the coin in my wallet) says otherwise.  You just have to do your homework.  Build as cheap as you can, and hope everything goes as planned.  1100 GPU wont be out till Q4 of this year if that and I wouldnt worry about ASCI.  There will always be coins to be mined and if CN is any example to you what happens when ASCi threatens... you just change the ALGO and ASCI goes away.  BTW If you dont think those ASCI are on line already you are fooling yourself.  Bitmain is the biggest ripoff in Crypto and fools keep throwing money at them.
Activity: 252
Merit: 13
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
May 21, 2018, 10:36:48 PM
Regular people are still mining - they're just mining Monero, Masari, Nerva, or Dero

But are they really mining those? Did some calculations on the profitability of these coins, they still seem to be shit though. I'd rather mine Monero and not risk the coin's value going to shit like these little unknown coins you mentioned. Or am i missing something?
Activity: 784
Merit: 282
May 21, 2018, 10:34:23 PM
I dont get why I see these threads over and over. Im pulling almost $30 a day ETH or 600 + RVN coins. 12 cards. 5 RX 580 Saphire Nitro + Special Edition, 5 EVAG 1080's, 1 EVAG 1080 ti FTW3 and one MSI 1070ti

$30 a day with ETH those 12 GPUs? Sure you are.. I highly doubt it.

Anyway what you need to consider is not TODAY but the NEXT MONTH (June) because that is when the first batch of Z9 ASICs arrive and that is probably also when NVIDIA may announce the new series of 1100 GPUs. Z9 ASICs will reduce profitability and new GPUs will surely reduce the value of your old GPUs.

Add to that the threat of Ethereum switching from POW to POS, then you have a massive shit storm coming to miners. Probably not a good idea to start mining right now.
Activity: 322
May 21, 2018, 09:28:11 PM
Activity: 108
Merit: 1
May 21, 2018, 08:51:48 PM
I only mine those coins with Mining App. One of such presently is electroneum, I mine with my phone though.
May 21, 2018, 04:28:06 PM
no. as CPU/GPU are screwed. Soon it will not matter if coins fork away from Asic as we will have reprogrammable miners from Bitmain that can mine any coin.

Another way to look at it is that baikal n is only $450 now.
Activity: 512
Merit: 260
May 21, 2018, 04:24:23 PM
no. as CPU/GPU are screwed. Soon it will not matter if coins fork away from Asic as we will have reprogrammable miners from Bitmain that can mine any coin.
Activity: 3
May 21, 2018, 03:38:58 PM
Did a blog post about it. Some napkin math in there as well.
https://bitorok.com/2018/05/21/interested-is-getting-into-crypto-mining-prices-and-stock-are-getting-better/

It's just my opinion though.
May 21, 2018, 02:12:53 PM

lol I am normal and hobby mine with 16 gpu just add with the profits as you go. but then i have no electric cost living in a windy island has some upsides Smiley

16!? Why not asic at that price?
May 21, 2018, 02:12:03 PM
Regular people are still mining - they're just mining Monero, Masari, Nerva, or Dero

Dero Hash Rate: 720.40 MH/sec
Activity: 20
May 21, 2018, 10:55:54 AM

I think the Monero is less profitable to mine than the ETH at present.
Pages:
Jump to: