Pages:
Author

Topic: Can the US become EU's oil supplier?? - page 3. (Read 377 times)

Activity: 2044
Merit: 180
Chainjoes.com
August 05, 2022, 11:12:10 PM
I don't think EU has an option here, they can't just fill 40% of the demand from other sources in a day or even in a year.
It will take time to set up an alternative supply chain without jacking the prices up.

And even if EU cuts of Russia's supply, Russian oil still got plenty of buyers(China, India, other asian countries - almost limitless).

This will only hurt EU and no one else.
In the current difficult situation, it is necessary to look at the energy needs of Europe much more broadly. For too long, the countries of Europe have tolerated energy dependence on Russia, which has constantly used it as a means of pressure on them to solve its economic and political problems. Now Russia is directly using them as weapons. With this in mind, the EU decided once and for all to abandon such dependence, even if at first they will suffer some material losses. Therefore, now there is a global reorientation of oil and gas suppliers to Europe. Europe is doing this, and doing it quite successfully. Yes, Russia will be able to supply its oil and gas to China, India and Asian countries. But the needs there are not very large, and it will need to reconfigure transport routes in the same way as Europe. But for Russia, this will mean the loss of the European market FOREVER.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
August 05, 2022, 07:38:29 PM
The united states role as a global manufacturer being greatly diminished. There isn't a supply chain in place to transport goods from america to europe. European tariffs and taxes on american commodities are very high. Enough to make importation of american oil an unprofitable business via default.

A shift in oil supply cannot occur without significant taxation & law adjustments in the EU hierarchy.

Then there are other impediments to this happening in the united states. Permits to drill for oil in the USA are not being given a green light. Oil pipelines are not running and have been shut down.

There's a long list of things that would need to happen for the US to import oil into the EU. Most believe they're better off not knowing what any of those things are. Which makes it even harder to resolve the problems we face.
Activity: 1064
Merit: 382
Hurrah for Karamazov!
August 05, 2022, 07:26:58 PM
I don't think EU has an option here, they can't just fill 40% of the demand from other sources in a day or even in a year.
It will take time to set up an alternative supply chain without jacking the prices up.

And even if EU cuts off Russia's supply, Russian oil still got plenty of buyers(China, India, other asian countries - almost limitless).

This will only hurt EU and no one else.
Activity: 784
Merit: 589
August 05, 2022, 06:47:38 PM
  With all the ruckus surrounding America right now; their part in the Taiwan issue and also their less than secret partnership with the Ukrainians, I think it's safe to say that Biden has a lot on his plate. But how about we add more??
 We've had the issue of the Russians retaliating against all the sanctions imposed on them by threatening- if I can be allowed to use that word- to cut off supply of crude to the EU and the body deciding to reduce it's use and dependence on their oil. This sounds achievable, right? Fine..
 Over the years, the US have been known to have amassed a lot of crude oil and gas to last generations! US oil purchase history

And Russia has earned almost a $100bn just from sales to the EU. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's from such means they are being able to foster the war, so if the US can block this means and become the only supplier to the EU, it could cause a big deal between the US and Russia. But the question there will be; can they risk it?
Pages:
Jump to: